BFT 171 Discussion Thread

Ken Dryden

47 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

You nailed it. I just picked up a Phono CD of this recording. I thought Paul Gonsalves playing a John Coltrane work would be of interest.

Everything about this Track 3 is of interest to me. I have never heard of this album. I had never heard of bassist Kenny Napper and drummer Ronnie Stevenson, who I enjoy greatly on this track. I have not heard Paul Gonsalves play in this style. It is very interesting that he recorded a Coltrane composition in 1964. I have to get this album.

Kenny Napper and Ronnie Stevenson were regulars in the house band - often with Stan Tracey on piano - at the Ronnie Scott Club in London at the time (1964), though Pat Smythe - Joe Harriott's pianist - is on piano here.

I saw all of the above mentioned many times in clubs, but only saw Gonsalves in concert settings in the Ellington orchestra.

Although listed as "Village Blues", it does vary slightly from Coltrane's original riff. (This is my excuse for not recognizing it.) ^_^

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Kenny Napper and Ronnie Stevenson were regulars in the house band - often with Stan Tracey on piano - at the Ronnie Scott Club in London at the time (1964), though Pat Smythe - Joe Harriott's pianist - is on piano here.

I saw all of the above mentioned many times in clubs, but only saw Gonsalves in concert settings in the Ellington orchestra.

Although listed as "Village Blues", it does vary slightly from Coltrane's original riff. (This is my excuse for not recognizing it.) ^_^

It does differ from Coltrane’s original. It was driving me crazy though because I could tell it was a pre-1965 Coltrane tune, so I started listening to Coltrane until I found the closest match.