Coltrane: Both Directions At Once (lost album)

Sandman

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Sandman said:

This may already have been discussed here, in which case I apologize in advance, but I just saw an article in the NY Times about a lost Coltrane album to be released on June 29.  Link below:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/arts/music/john-coltrane-lost-album-both-directions-at-once.html

Thanks, sounds of cash registers .... but mighty tempting. I wonder about the tapes, mono or stereo etc 

Per amazon:

Disc: 1
  1. Untitled Original 11383 - Take 1
  2. Nature Boy
  3. Untitled Original 11386 - Take 1
  4. Vilia - Take 3
  5. Impressions - Take 3
  6. Slow Blues
  7. One Up, One Down - Take 1

Disc: 2
  1. Vilia - Take 5
  2. Impressions - Take 1
  3. Impressions - Take 2
  4. Impressions - Take 4
  5. Untitled Original 11386 - Take 2
  6. Untitled Original 11386 - Take 5
  7. One Up, One Down - Take 6

51r01nWf38L._SS500.jpg

Edited by Eric

Whoa, what the hell? Where did this come from? 

I don't have a copy of the John Coltrane Reference, but was there any prior indication that this session even existed? Let alone 2 CDs worth of contiguous material? 

Maybe (?) our fault as a broader listening/playing community for entertaining an endless stream of posthumous releases, but this one sounds like a big deal. And legit. Hasn't it been decades at this point since we've heard a "new", more or less complete record/session from Coltrane's archives? 

1 hour ago, ep1str0phy said:

I don't have a copy of the John Coltrane Reference, but was there any prior indication that this session even existed? Let alone 2 CDs worth of contiguous material? 

The session is listed in the JC Référence (March 6, 1963).

Eagerly  waiting for thé release of the double CD.

Now shows as being released on June 29, available for pre-order in both single disc ($13.98) and 2CD ($19.98) versions.  Here is what Amazon says about it:

Unknown until 2004 and unheard until now, these recordings by the John Coltrane Quartet are, as Sonny Rollins says in the

liner notes, like finding a new room in the Great Pyramid. Featuring the Classic Quartet – John Coltrane, McCoy Tyner,

Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones – and recorded at the end of a two-week run at Birdland, the music on this album represents

one of the most influential groups in music history both performing in a musical style it had perfected and reaching in new,

exploratory directions that were to affect the trajectory of jazz from that point forward. The standard version (available in CD

and LP formats) incorporates 7 tracks, 2 of which are two completely unheard, brand new original compositions as well as

Coltrane classics like Impressions and Vilia. The deluxe version (also available in CD and LP formats) incorporates 7

alternate takes of some of the tracks from the standard – a must have for any Coltrane fan.

Edited by felser