Coltrane: Both Directions At Once (lost album)

Sandman

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

There was a time when I would have gotten this on the day it was released. Now I'll wait to see how it plays out. It'll be around for a while. Guess I'm jaded these days.

I think that's a good path to follow.  I'm going to wait and see. 

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Damn, missed it. All Bolloxit now, go Bojo go

The piece was probably 3 mins long, Ravi and Ashley Kahn were featured talking. Snippets from the new album featured plus ALS, My favourite things and some of Alice C’s music too.

The discovery was described as a ‘rehearsal tape’ which I can’t think could be accurate.

3 hours ago, Clunky said:

Ravi Coltrane about to be interviewed on BBC R4 Today program. Unprecedented 

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Damn, missed it. All Bolloxit now, go Bojo go

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

The piece was probably 3 mins long, Ravi and Ashley Kahn were featured talking. Snippets from the new album featured plus ALS, My favourite things and some of Alice C’s music too.

The discovery was described as a ‘rehearsal tape’ which I can’t think could be accurate.

It is there:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b4z09t

Go to 2:22:18

11 hours ago, paul secor said:

There was a time when I would have gotten this on the day it was released. Now I'll wait to see how it plays out. It'll be around for a while. Guess I'm jaded these days.

I don’t think it’s jaded at all. I have 92 discs worth of Coltrane as a leader. I’m reasonably convinced I’ve already heard him say everything he had to say. And I’ve already heard him say it, MANY times over. The Olatunji Concert was the last “new” release I bought, and I think it soured me towards purchasing any later “lost recordings”. 

Like you, if I hear plaudits and claims that this is way beyond anything else we heard from him before, I may add it to the collection. Otherwise this news is a big meh, in my book. 

3 hours ago, Clunky said:

LP pricing isn’t I think  in the audiophile region . So it’s anyone’s guess on how it’s mastered . I’d prefer full analog unless digital had to be used because of NR reasons 

I don't like paying vinyl prices for an LP pressing that's basically using a CD as the source. If it's full analog, I'll pay the extra money. If not, tell me and I'll buy the CD. Renee Rosnes' latest release came out on vinyl. When I found out that it was full digital, I just ordered the CD. I still get to hear it, just not on vinyl. The vinyl resurgence should die quickly if all they keep cutting is a vinyl representation of the CD.