Coltrane: Both Directions At Once (lost album)

Sandman

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

This is fascinating.  I guess we now have a sense of future Impulse releases.  I, for one, can't wait for the complete Coltrane & Hartman sessions.

13 years after that piece was published we see this release.

But I would like to hear the complete and unedited (no reverb) Coltrane/Hartman.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

oh sure, I agree. I'm sure it'll be interesting but the hype is, as usual, out of control.

And not just about this record. Life in general today is all mega-hyped, that seems to be what people think is the only way to get attention for damn near anything. To the extent that they're proven right (aka damn near always), it will only intensify.

Could you use a break from all that? I know I sure could. But ain't nobody asking me what I think about it, so fuck it, I'll just take a nap.

57 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

13 years after that piece was published we see this release.

We can only guess what caused the delay.  There were probably a lot of conflicting rights holders, and they all had to come to a meeting of the minds.  There's Naima's family (who still owned the tapes), the Coltrane estate, Universal, and who knows who else.

I'd like to hear the alternates of "Out of This World" as well as the takes of "All The Things You Are." In time, I suppose, we eventually will.

What I'd really like to hear are further recordings of the final quartet. (But we've been through that before. I e-mailed Cuscuna, and he lamented that tapes don't exist. But maybe Ravi has reference copies somewhere???)

6 hours ago, Late said:

What I'd really like to hear are further recordings of the final quartet. (But we've been through that before. I e-mailed Cuscuna, and he lamented that tapes don't exist. But maybe Ravi has reference copies somewhere???)

same here

18 hours ago, Late said:

that would be amazing

53 minutes ago, Late said:

Yes, I do mean quintet. I was thinking of the "lost" March 29, 1967 studio recording that produced six tracks. That session, recorded around the time Expression was made, occurred without Pharoah.

Ah! I was not aware of that session. I agree with Guy, that would be a fun listen! Expression is one of the few quintet dates I truly love. It would be interesting to hear them as a quartet, although it likely wouldn’t sound too different since Trane and Pharoah weren’t playing at the same time all that much. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 2:40 PM, Sandman said:

This may already have been discussed here, in which case I apologize in advance, but I just saw an article in the NY Times about a lost Coltrane album to be released on June 29.  Link below:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/arts/music/john-coltrane-lost-album-both-directions-at-once.html

It's out.

I went for that Japanese version too. But I ordered the US single one so I can have that on release day, and I can give it to my brother (who is also a Coltrane fanatic but with two girls under ten doesn't get to buy many discs) later.

5 hours ago, B. Clugston said:

Picked up the 2 LP set. The music is wonderful and the deluxe version is worth it. Nothing deluxe about the vinyl presentation, however: the records on my copy are warped, the liner notes are on a poster you have to fold out to read and the design is oh so 2008.

I got a replacement copy--still warped and the second LP has the same labels on each side. Musically speaking, there is some stellar Jimmy Garrison on this.