Coltrane: Both Directions At Once (lost album)

Sandman

10 hours ago, paul secor said:

Yes. Big money is obviously being spent on promotion.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Well, yeah, and why not? It's legitimately new product, not some umpteenth bajillionth repackaging of 50-60 year old product. If it's not "revelatory", oh well, I doubt there's any more of that left to be had from any source.

I was merely pointing out the anomaly. I can't remember the last time I saw a full page ad for a non-pop/crossover jazz record in a major newspaper.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Awareness of Trane's science has been known to us in the "general audience" since, at least, the C. O. Simpkins book. It keepd popping up here andd there in interviews, but nobody seems to want to really engage it, I guess because, things like god and quest and journey and all this make for great comic books, whereas hard math and physics don't.

Not to blow my own trumpet too much, but I have an article on aaj which seeks to show that, at least from Ascension on, science was religion for Coltrane.

Circling Om

7 hours ago, BillF said:

Item the other week on the BBC radio Today programme (audience 7 million). Yes, big money is being spent and I suppose it will be the highest grossing jazz album of the year (doesn't take much), but when the product is so good (see me above), I have no complaint about this. Do you know, one or two young people might even buy it !!! (But only one or two.) ^_^

I think more than one or two (and I caught the wink) -- seems like the Kamasi Washington hype and the Alice Coltrane freakout might trickle back into some newfound appreciation for John Coltrane's music. Bought the deluxe 2LP set and though my complaint elsewhere that the bass is too jacked up/boomy in the mix stands, for the most part it is a fine set of a bit more than odds and ends. "Slow Blues" was the least compelling aspect for me, but I probably will revise that after a few listens. The opener kicks ass.

No of course not another A Love Supreme but still: what a great record. The classic quartet in top form. This is insanely good music. I love the Originals and of course One Down, One Up. I also think Slow Blues is the least interesting one.

very thankful for this release! Got all of his studio and live  work as a leader. But to be honest I will never have got enough Trane.

Edited by Pim

10 minutes ago, Pim said:

No of course not another A Love Supreme but still: what a great record. The classic quartet in top form. This is insanely good music. I love the Originals and of course One Down, One Up. I also think Slow Blues is the least interesting one.

very thankful for this release! Got all of his studio and live  work as a leader. But to be honest I will never have got enough Trane.

Gotta hope that eventually some of the Frank Tiberi tapes will be released.  

I've listened to the single CD version of this release a few times now and I would agree that it doesn't really say much new but it is a nice addition to the discography. Nothing earth shattering here. It sounds a lot like like what he was doing on other recordings of this period. "Slow Blues" was my favorite track.

On 7/2/2018 at 6:26 AM, Simon Weil said:

Going back in time 50 years to get this wound up about a Great artist whose best work this ain't just reflects our low opinion of ourselves now.

Who's getting wound up?  It's a marketing push, for sure, of an artist long dead, pilfering through what scraps of unissued material remains.  That it still makes for good listening, even for a rehearsal session, says a lot about the high standards of performing everyone involved did.  It's just different now.  Jazz is different now. 

2 hours ago, Stefan Wood said:

That it still makes for good listening, even for a rehearsal session,

150+ posts. That's a lot for just "good listening". There's a "buzz" to this thread - and I'm sure elsewhere. To be sure it's been created - but we are part of its creation. Hence: "Wound up".

Edited by Simon Weil

1 hour ago, Simon Weil said:

150+ posts. That's a lot for just "good listening". There's a "buzz" to this thread - and I'm sure elsewhere. To be sure it's been created - but we are part of its creation. Hence: "Wound up".

How long have you been here?  Back in the blue note bulletin board days we would froth at the mouth over the latest Connoisseur, OJC, etc. reissues.  Pages would be wasted discussing them.  The well has run dry, except for live dates, and anything that isn't the 100th reiteration of an album does gets people's attention.  There hasn't been much to talk about that hasn't been discussed before.  This is something different.

Edited by Stefan Wood

11 minutes ago, Stefan Wood said:

How long have you been here?  Back in the blue note bulletin board days we would froth at the mouth over the latest Connoisseur, OJC, etc. reissues.  The well has run dry, except for live dates, and anything that isn't the 100th reiteration of an album does gets people's attention.  There hasn't been much to talk about that hasn't been discussed before.  This is something different.

I've been, on and off, online discussing Jazz for 21 years. I well remember the manufactured vibe on rec.music.buenote  for the Coltrane Village Vanguard box.

9 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

One man's soufflé is another man's T-bone or at the very least a reheated quiche...

All buzz has the element of soufflé.

Edited by Simon Weil

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

Simon, I think you're truly missing out on the "self" part of "self loathing". You know, the part that makes it your own without projecting it onto everyone else in an attempt to make it feel like you're not alone? 

Yeah, that part. 

You're so viscous (Lou Reed, amended).

Edited by Simon Weil

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

A friend sent me a mention that there was a commercial for the recent Trane album on CNN today. Has to be pretty rare for a jazz album to be advertised on TV. Looks like even more big bucks are going into promotion.

Ok, that's crazy!  This I gotta see.  Time to set the DVR to record CNN for about 24-hours "Straight (,No Chaser") -- and see if I can catch it.