Danny Kirwan, RIP

GA Russell

I am a huge fan of his work with Fleetwood Mac in the 60's/70's.   He was a troubled soul, and flamed out so early, around 22-23.  But I still listen in regular rotation to a compilation CD I burned of his greatest Fleetwood Mac music.  And he and Peter Green certainly pushed each other to some incredible heights, especially on those Boston Tea Party takes. Cut below is my very favorite of his work.

The original Fleetwood Mac with Kirwan, Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer was a three man army.  So much better than what passed for Mac when it was co-opted by Buckingham and Nix.  As a straight blues band, right up there with Mayall and The Bluesbreakers.  Check out the album "Fleetwood Mac in Chicago" showcasing those three holding their own with the likes of Willie Dixon, Otis Spann and Buddy Guy.  It's the genuine article.    

15 hours ago, Dave James said:

The original Fleetwood Mac with Kirwan, Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer was a three man army.  So much better than what passed for Mac when it was co-opted by Buckingham and Nix.  As a straight blues band, right up there with Mayall and The Bluesbreakers.  Check out the album "Fleetwood Mac in Chicago" showcasing those three holding their own with the likes of Willie Dixon, Otis Spann and Buddy Guy.  It's the genuine article.    

The Green/Kirwan/Spencer Fleetwood Mac and the Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac were two totally different animals with different purposes, and each excelled at what they did.  I wouldn't want to be without "Then Play On" or without "Rumours" in my collection, but listen to them in very different moods from each other.