somethin' else (label) SHM-CD reissues

Late

The Japanese label somethin' else (intentionally lower-case, I think) is having its 30th anniversary. To celebrate, 20 titles from its catalog are being reissued.

Some excellent (generally) straight-ahead jazz therein. What can you recommend, and what have you heard? (And what got left out?)

I'm tempted by Rubalcaba's Diz

35 minutes ago, Stefan Wood said:

Jackie McLean Fire & Love

Any Ralph Peterson disc.

No "Fire And Love" in this list...

I'm surprised they didn't go for a few of the real rarities in here like Joe Lovano's "Tenor Time", Benny Green's "Blue Notes" (or "Funky") or Renee Rosnes' "Face To Face" (unfortunately only an EP).

I do like George Adams' "Nightingale" where he proves that he can wrangle a Jazz ballad out of "Bridge Over Troubled Water". :) Although all of George's somethin' else CDs are worth hearing.

Ralph Peterson's "V" (I think "5" is a typo) is an excellent recording.

I may have to pick up Phil Woods' "Cool Woods" and maybe that Hino disc for Greg Osby.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I was looking for those two Benny Green recordings, both are very enjoyable but I couldn't even find them on the discogs site so I was wondering if it was another Japanese label.  (I still remember when I found the Blue Notes CD, it was at a Borders in the DC area, pre-internet for me, and I had recently read of this release in Downbeat. Seeing it in person was such a delightful surprise.)

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Ralph Peterson ‘Introducing the Fo’tet’ is a standout. Too bad it isn’t on the list.

Agreed, some great Bryan Carrott/Don Byron on there,the best I've ever heard either of them on a recording.  Bryan played live at the Painted Bride Art Center in a group led by my friend Ruth Naomi Floyd in the late 90's, and blew me away (she also had James Weidman as her musical director and Charles Fambrough and T.K. Blue in the group, and I think Craig Handy was still with her at that point, forget the drummer who was a local Philly guy, but Carrott is the one who made the most impression on me).  The quaility I heard in him that night has never been captured on any recording I've heard.  Also spent some time talking to him at one of her recording sessions around the same time, and he was a very interesting guy.  On another note,  I've heard/owned almost everything on the list of releases here,, and none if it is essential to me except maybe the Superblue.  The Onishi Vanguard sessions that Stefan mentioned are fabulous,  too bad they aren't on there.

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, Late said:

I'm tempted by Rubalcaba's Diz

I've enjoyed that one. If you like Rubalcaba's other work, I think you'd like Diz.  One track stands out in my memory: We've all heard "Con Alma" a million times, but Rubalcaba does something different with it. It's very still, almost like a Chopin nocturne. It's the highlight of the disc, imho.

I'm also fully on board with the Ralph Peterson recommendations -- the Fo'tet stuff and Triangular, which features Geri Allen. :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

17 hours ago, HutchFan said:

We've all heard "Con Alma" a million times, but Rubalcaba does something different with it. It's very still, almost like a Chopin nocturne. It's the highlight of the disc.

Wow — you're right. Just listened. Very much like a nocturne. Beautiful. Thanks for bringing that track to my attention!

21 hours ago, felser said:

Agreed, some great Bryan Carrott/Don Byron on there,the best I've ever heard either of them on a recording.  Bryan played live at the Painted Bride Art Center in a group led by my friend Ruth Naomi Floyd in the late 90's, and blew me away (she also had James Weidman as her musical director and Charles Fambrough and T.K. Blue in the group, and I think Craig Handy was still with her at that point, forget the drummer who was a local Philly guy, but Carrott is the one who made the most impression on me).  The quaility I heard in him that night has never been captured on any recording I've heard.  Also spent some time talking to him at one of her recording sessions around the same time, and he was a very interesting guy.  On another note,  I've heard/owned almost everything on the list of releases here,, and none if it is essential to me except maybe the Superblue.  The Onishi Vanguard sessions that Stefan mentioned are fabulous,  too bad they aren't on there.

I had tickets for the Fo’tet with Don Byron and Carrott many years ago and was really looking forward to it but unfortunately it was cancelled last minute due to Canadian border control issues. Never did get to see them - although did see Byron and Peterson in Byron’s own group of the time (predictably excellent).

• 3 weeks later...

What's that "Shades of Blue" one?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCQ-9373

From those in this batch I really like the McLean/Onishi ... and a few months ago got Ralph Peterson's "Triangular" (also Japanese and SHM CD, I think), and it's indeed very good!

And the Eliases are very nice if you dig her.

Interested myself, I think, in the DeJohnette (M-Base Special Edition?), the Onishi, the two Adams, the Peterson and the Super Blue, maybe the Jimmy Smith and the Rosnes snd some Rubalcaba  ... and hoping for more to follow!

Saw Carrott the one time I managed to catch Muhal ... excellent! 

4 minutes ago, king ubu said:

What's that "Shades of Blue" one?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCQ-9373

Google translate give me an idea ( :bad:  )  :

A plan that the old and new popular artists covered the famous songs of Blue Note with a new interpretation. Producer is also known as Blue Note, Arranger, Bob Verden. The recorded songs include "Maiden Voyage" which Diane Reeves sings freshly, "Fighi Hubbard who tried hip-hop and" Alligator · Boogie (Alligator · Boogaloo) "featuring Ohnishi Junko. You can enjoy it with contents such as kaleidoscope of sound from straight jazz to hip hop.

Seeing these Ralph Peterson titles listed here as well as hearing people recommend them, reminds me how lucky I am that Ralph teaches at Berklee and plays around Boston often... particularly given Ralph's recent health troubles. I was glad to hear he is beating the Big C. I hope he keeps on keeping on.

He's bringing his Messenger Legacy band to Scullers Oct. 10th.  I can't wait.