Jon Hiseman RIP

sidewinder

The very sad news was announced today that the gifted and versatile drummer, band leader and producer Jon Hiseman had passed away early this morning.

He was a major figure in both British and European jazz and rock from the 1960s through to recent times as a result of his work with own group Colosseum, the New Jazz Orchestra, The United Jazz and Rock Ensemble, Graham Bond, John Mayall, Mike Taylor Trio and many others. By all accounts a lovely guy, all round force for good and a stalwart support to his wife, saxophonist Barbara Thompson. He’ll be missed - RIP.

Edited by sidewinder

So sad to hear about this. Those first few Colosseum albums really meant a lot to me when I was first getting into music--and Hiseman's drumming on Jack Bruce's Songs for a Tailor might be my favorite in that specific rock-jazz vein. Of the great early British jazz-rock drummers, I credit Hiseman and John Marshall--and the lesser-known Rob Tait, too--with being the most successful at rounding off the complexity of post-Elvin jazz drumming without sounding either too boxy or simplistic. A tough task done surpassingly well. RIP. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just got hold of a copy of the Jon Hiseman bio. An absolutely brilliant read, crammed full of detail and photos. Essential.

Wasn’t previously aware that he was the drummer on the Crazy World of Arthur Brown 45rpm single ‘Fire’. Always thought it was Carl Palmer.

Or that Rahsaan Roland Kirk had tried to recruit him into his group after hearing one of the Mike Taylor LPs. At Dobells, perhaps?

Edited by sidewinder

On 6/23/2018 at 1:06 PM, sidewinder said:

Wasn’t previously aware that he was the drummer on the Crazy World of Arthur Brown 45rpm single ‘Fire’. Always thought it was Carl Palmer.

Wow - I didn't know that, either!

Downloaded the "JCM" album, and it's much better than I would have expected. Really good versions of songs from his back catalog of projects.

On 6/23/2018 at 4:06 PM, sidewinder said:

I’ve just got hold of a copy of the Jon Hiseman bio. An absolutely brilliant read, crammed full of detail and photos. Essential.

Or that Rahsaan Roland Kirk had tried to recruit him into his group after hearing one of the Mike Taylor LPs. At Dobells, perhaps?

That Jon Hiseman bio is going for $160 on Amazon!

I bought a copy direct from Jon and Barabara Thompson’s Temple Music via Amazon but maybe they have run out.

It is quite a tome but jam packed with interesting material. The first few chapters about JH’s post WW2 childhood and early professional career are fascinating, particularly that period with the New Jazz Orchestra.

One more amazing story. JH (along with. Henry Lowther and Lyn Dobson) did early gigs in the Kray Twins’ club basement in Stoke Newingon. No audience and their was another band playing upstairs - so JH speculated that they might have been hired to muffle the noise due to the gangsters ‘interrogations’ at the back.

4 hours ago, BFrank said:

Wow - I didn't know that, either!

Downloaded the "JCM" album, and it's much better than I would have expected. Really good versions of songs from his back catalog of projects.

Really wish now I could have caught a gig by this band and also the Colosseum final tour.

I did get to see one of Dick Heckstall-Smith’s final gigs though (foyer of Royal Festival Hall or Barbican, early 2000s).

Edited by sidewinder

Fine obituary for JH in today’s ‘Times’, in addition to the ones already published in the Telegraph and Guardian.

I was aware of his work with Julian Lloyd Webber but not that Andew Lloyd Webber regarded him as ‘drummer of choice’ for new run productions. What an incredibly versatile and thoroughly professional artist he was. :tup