Jazz Gazzette - GDPR

In their Sunday email, Mosaic included the following:

European Fans
Don't Miss Out On The Jazz Gazette

The Jazz Gazette is powered by Tumblr.com. Due to new Data Protection rules in Europe it is required that users consent on their site. To continue viewing the Jazz Gazette, please To continue viewing the Jazz Gazette, please visit http://www.tumblr.com/privacy/consent

Article 4(11)

1. ‘consent’ of the data subject means any freely given, specific, informed and unambiguous indication of the data subject’s wishes by which he or she, by a statement or by a clear affirmative action, signifies agreement to the processing of personal data relating to him or her;

Article 7(4)

1. When assessing whether consent is freely given, utmost account shall be taken of whether, inter alia, the performance of a contract, including the provision of a service, is conditional on consent to the processing of personal data that is not necessary for the performance of that contract.

Not to be overly lawyer-like, but it seems that one is forced to consent to processing of personal data that is not necessarily necessary for the "performance of the contract". :rolleyes:

Must admit I didn't look too closely at the exact conditions though. 

2 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

I think this whole GDPR initiative aims at that.

It aims at forcing people to consent? :-)

No, what I tried to say - although in retrospect perhaps not very well - is that the point of a GDPR compliant consent to processing of personal data is that it needs to be "freely given", meaning that you can not force anybody to consent - *unless* the specific processing is necessary for the performance of a contract between the parties. From the looks of it, tumblr seems to want to do more with the data that just delivering the service (the Gazette?), but I will admit I didn't look very closely before deciding I didn't want to consent.