Miles Davis – Ascenseur Pour L'Échafaud 2cd version

Harbour

3 hours ago, djcavanagh said:

I think that one of the tracks ( L'interrogatoire de Julien ) is previously unreleased - this new release has 27 tracks versus the 26 that is on previous issues.

I'd be interested in any views on the sound quality as well. 

Indeed. I bought the 26-track CD (single CD, including everything from the item above except 'L'Interrogatoire de Julien") from a rack of budget-priced CDs in a shopping center in France last year. Same cover pic as on the set under the Discogs link above.

I cannot make detailed comments about the sound quality (whcih basically is OK to me). The only other reissue of this I have is on an LP I bought new in 1983 (Italian Philips) - the 10 soundtrack tunes on one side and the soundtrack of "Des Femmes Disparaissent" on the other. I haven't listened to other reissues so do not feel qualified to judge.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

The two disc set is avaialbe on Amazon but it costs $25. I'm not sure I'm willing to pay that much for one new Miles Davis cut from the period even if it is 5 minutes long.  Anyone here heard it yet?    Is it a completely new melody or a different take of one of the previously released melodies?  I guess I could watch the movie and listen for the music in the interrogation scene. 

4 hours ago, Harbour said:

It’s only $15 on Amazon UK, I wonder how/why/where they suddenly dug up this one extra track after all this time!?

I checked the plosin Miles Davis site. Near the bottom of the page devoted to this session there is a breakdown of wich music is used at what point in the movie. It states 74:00-79:05 Clarke High hat+brushes (not issued?). I don’t have the movie so I can’t check but I remember vaguely there is a scène with drums only. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a track without Miles or the other musicians.

48 minutes ago, miles65 said:

I checked the plosin Miles Davis site. Near the bottom of the page devoted to this session there is a breakdown of wich music is used at what point in the movie. It states 74:00-79:05 Clarke High hat+brushes (not issued?). I don’t have the movie so I can’t check but I remember vaguely there is a scène with drums only. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a track without Miles or the other musicians.

Now that you describe it, I do remember that scene. So I pulled out my VHS cassette and watched that sequence. Somewhere through that sequence piano and bass come in too but the drummer is very much in the foreground throughout. The music is effective as background to that film scene but on its own? Not so sure.  A criticism that had been levied at the soundtrack in period reviews, BTW. Personally I tend to disagree in the case of the other tracks but here it indeed is so that the music on its own doesnt do much overall IMO. In short, a track for completists only.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

On 22/06/2018 at 9:11 PM, jlhoots said:

I'll stick with the 26 track CD I already own.

Same here. Though it's an album I love I'm not sure I need anything more than what was released on that occasion. And I love the Nouvelle Vague movie too. They go incredibly well together.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I picked up a copy at the local record store today. This is a real classy reissue. The booklet is glossy paper, so very firm and durable. Beautiful packaging.

The sound is great so far (first disc now). It was mastered by François Lê Xuân who is also responsible for the recent stellar French Centennial Edition of Thelonious Monk's Piano Solo, Paris 1954.

Sounds good! What's your previous edition of this? I bought the Heritage Edition series (those also quite classy-looking French Universal digipacks from around 10-15 years ago) - took me a while to find it (and I wasn't quite sure the vendor would really sell that version, but he was ...) - not sure I want to buy it once more, but I am tempted!

Lê Xuân was either involved with the "Jazz in Paris" series or with the compilations on SagaJazz that followed shortly after the initial run of 100-something JiPs in the original digipack design ended.

Is there a good way to sequence all this material, so there aren't quite so many repeated takes in immediate succession?  I love the sound of this stuff, but I've admittedly not spun my copy of the earlier reissue as often simply because of the sequencing.

Come to think of it, more often than not I just put the thing on 'random' and go with that -- absent any other kind of specific way to listen to it.

20 hours ago, king ubu said:

Sounds good! What's your previous edition of this? I bought the Heritage Edition series (those also quite classy-looking French Universal digipacks from around 10-15 years ago) - took me a while to find it (and I wasn't quite sure the vendor would really sell that version, but he was ...) - not sure I want to buy it once more, but I am tempted!

Lê Xuân was either involved with the "Jazz in Paris" series or with the compilations on SagaJazz that followed shortly after the initial run of 100-something JiPs in the original digipack design ended.

I bought the Criterion DVD twelve years ago as I wanted to experience the music as a soundtrack first. It also had a bonus feature on the music. I only picked this up as a Japanese SHM-CD recently, and the new French CD is much better. I never heard the previous EU and US releases, but I honestly cannot imagine them sounding better. The Japanese CD has now been demoted to beer coaster, but one of Super High Material. :lol:

33 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Probably. It's the kind of music you can pick up at the local record store at your convenience.

None left that I'd frequent at this place ... I love to browse, but that's restricted to vacation and - locally as well - book stores.

On 6/22/2018 at 4:49 AM, jazzbo said:

It's material from the session, without the reverb. It's I think the same as has been out before on a single disc.

This "without reverb" thing, it's important to me, is it only this new issue that has the reverb removed? I can justify a purchase if so, can't if not.

54 minutes ago, JSngry said:

This "without reverb" thing, it's important to me, is it only this new issue that has the reverb removed? I can justify a purchase if so, can't if not.

No, the reverb-free versions have been out before.  I think they lack the mood and vibe of the film versions, but that's just my opinion. 

There is one track in the movie that has never been on any LP or CD version I've heard.  It includes drums and piano and maybe bass, but I don't think there are horns, at least not the segment that is used in the film.