Miles Davis – Ascenseur Pour L'Échafaud 2cd version

Harbour

5 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

There is one track in the movie that has never been on any LP or CD version I've heard.  It includes drums and piano and maybe bass, but I don't think there are horns, at least not the segment that is used in the film. 

That's the "L'Interrogatoire de Julien" track discussed earlier in this thread. IMO this is one of those cases where the soundtrack cannot really stand on its own without the movie. I guess they also omitted it BECAUSE it has no horns (i.e. no Miles Davis as the leader of the session).

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

IMO this is one of those cases where the soundtrack cannot really stand on its own without the movie.

That's why I waited for Criterion to release their DVD in 2006 before even listening to it. On the other hand, this new edition sounds so handsome, both with (disc 1) and without (disc 2) reverb, that the images won't be missed. The booklet also contains many excellent photos, two essays (Franck Bergerot & Ashley Kahn), a glossy cover, 58 pages in all, so if you are already familiar with the movie, the new packaging will do just fine as a substitute imo. 

8 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

There is one track in the movie that has never been on any LP or CD version I've heard.  It includes drums and piano and maybe bass, but I don't think there are horns, at least not the segment that is used in the film. 

Yes, just drums, piano, and bass on L'Interrogatoire de Julien (5:17).

19 hours ago, king ubu said:

None left that I'd frequent at this place ... I love to browse, but that's restricted to vacation and - locally as well - book stores.

Same here - just last week I noticed another second hand store has vanished. :(

Back to topic - your discussion watered my mouth. I'll buy the new edition.

Jim as noted above there are a few previous releases that include both the "reverbed" and the dry tracks. Including:

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Ascenseur-Pour-L%C3%89chafaud-Lift-To-The-Scaffold/release/495456

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Ascenseur-Pour-L%C3%89chafaud-Original-Soundtrack-Complete-Recordings/release/10285757

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Ascenseur-Pour-L%C3%89chafaud-Lift-To-The-Scaffold/release/5346273

Personally the movie does very little for me, I've seen it a few times and the soundtrack is enjoyed a lot more often.

Ordered the new 2-CD-set by now ... curious to hear it.

The combination of all (so far) 16 takes plus the 10 with reverb was standard around here (= yurp) ... the 1988 or 1989 edition was around in shops for almost as long as they existed (the Jazz in Paris edition was around for a short time, and later on also the Originals edition - both only have the reverb tracks/master takes I think).

I can't comment on the CD release but I did pick up the 3LP 10inch reissue. Hype sticker mentions being mastered from the original analog tapes and being cut at Abbey Road. Despite all that... it sounds glorious. 

Edited by spinlps

On 7/26/2018 at 2:48 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

I like the film more than the album!  

23 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

We're all different. I'm not that big on films, and this one never grabbed me.

I saw the film a few years ago and liked it a lot. I only picked up the album a month ago and liked that too so I like them both!. 

Edited by Brad