Last minute substitutes

Hardbopjazz

Saturday night I went and saw Joanne Brackeen live at Mezzrow. She was supposed to be playing with bassist Richie Goods. For whatever reason he wasn't there last night. Richie Goods did play with Joanne the night before. In his place was Lonnie Plaxico. It seemed to have been a last minute substitution.The first set was 25 minutes late in starting to call an available bass player. With that in mind, do the musicians just rely on playing standards that you're sure each will know? Joanne paused before each tune and then call out a standard and Ronnie would node and off then went.  

Edited 34 minutes ago by Hardbopjazz

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• 2 weeks later...

usually I ask the last minute replace what he would like to play and than it might work out just fine. If I have to use another drummer, I might worry if he´s really good, because I love drummers and the lift up the musical happenings. Though I´m a piano player, I´m a drummer´s fan. If it´s a great drummer with some stuff that inspires me, a last minute replace can be a beautiful experience.