5 Original Albums (Blue Note)

CJ Shearn

I see scheduled for release tommorrow there are 5 original album sets released for Jimmy Smith, Kenny Burrell and Freddie Hubbard.  I have no need for the Smith or Burrell unless the masterings are greatly upgraded, but I could fill in holes with Open Sesame and Goin Up from the Hubbard set.  Anyone know who might have some of the other sets in this series if they use new masterings?

2 hours ago, OliverM said:

I have two of these (Wayne Shorter and Blakey& Jazz Messengers) and they use RVG masterings.

I guess there is no point then in these.  It looks like the CD's have no bonus tracks either, which for Home Cookin' especially, they are quite nice.  Thank you.

Haven't picked up any of the Blue Note specific sets, but in general, the "5 Classics Albums" as well as the WEA "Original Album Series" tend to be absolutely no frills - poor packaging, no bonus cuts, etc.  But great prices.  The CBS "Original Album Classics" do generally contain the bonus material, but often don't even reflect that on the stingy packaging.  But again, amazing prices.

26 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

The upcoming Shepp will be worthwhile 

I’m guessing folks have all this stuff covered but the Morgan, Mobley, McLean etc should please some. 

Not aware of that one (Shepp) - do you have details?

22 minutes ago, felser said:

Very nice!  I have never seen a listing for that set.  Are there other Impulse sets in the same format?

I don't know.  I just go to amazon.co.uk, start somewhere, and randomly click.  One title leads to another.  I wish there was a more coherent way to find these new releases.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

I don't know.  I just go to amazon.co.uk, start somewhere, and randomly click.  One title leads to another.  I wish there was a more coherent way to find these new releases.

No doubt on all accounts!

That Shepp set is a perfect collection of imperfect music. I'd be all over that if I didn't already have it all. Hell yeah, no-brainer, totally. Maybe add MAgic Of JuJu, but then it's 6 not 5, and there you go, what does 5 mean? Not 6, for damn sure.

But apart from that, this -

That's listed as Beaver Harris, but that's got to be Roy Haynes, right?

No matter, it goes on way too long for permanent purposes, but before it does...holy shit, that's some all-in playing by all concerned right there.

What Jim said on the Shepp.  Nice to see it includes the CD bonus material.  It's due out on July 31, which must be why it's not listed on amazon.com.  The McLean is a nice economical pickup for  latecomers, having Jacknife and Demon's Dance included.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Most of the Blue Note that I have is on LP, so I am tempted to pick up a couple of these.

So they use the RVG mastering but contain no bonus tracks?  That is weird:  I thought the whole point of these bundles was to move existing stock, rather than creating more stock.

Also, I have several "Original Album Classics" sets which do indeed contain the bonus tracks.

Still, a few of these are tempting.