Hank Mobley and Lee Morgan

ghost of miles

I'm working on a Night Lights show for the week after next that features recordings made together by Hank Mobley and Lee Morgan.  It's been a real joy to go back and revisit all of their Blue Note sessions (and the early Savoy date as well) and assemble a potential playlist.  Here are some potential tracks:

"Hank's Shout" (from the Savoy date)

"M & M" (with Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers)

One of the first three tracks off Peckin' Time

"No Room For Squares"

"Carolyn"

"Ceora" 

"Straight No Filter"

Possibly something from A Slice Of The Top ("Hank's Other Bag")

I'll probably use "Syrup And Biscuits" with a fadeout in the opening "newshole" segment (a segment exactly five minutes long that some stations take, while other stations cut away for news).  Anyway, curious to hear what other posters here rank as their favorite Mobley-Morgan encounters on record.  This is the third Lee Morgan tandem show I've done; the others are Shorter Lee: Lee Morgan and Wayne Shorter and Jackie McLean and Lee Morgan: The Dynamic Hardbop Duo.

Edited by ghost of miles

Some thoughts: It looks like the last time they worked together was on Mobley's Third Season in 1967.  Was there a rift between them after that?

Although I haven't heard them, another date to consider resulted in the two Roulette albums Monday Night At Birdland and Another Monday Night At Birdland.

20 minutes ago, umum_cypher said:

Every single second of Dippin'

This show has sent me back to your Lee Morgan biography as well.  :tup  Mjzee, I've got both of those Birdland Roulettes and am going to give them a listen this afternoon.  It's been a long time since I played them, and my memory is that they're enjoyable jams, but maybe a bit too long & loose for the show... however, they're on the program-planning agenda, that's for sure.

33 minutes ago, umum_cypher said:

Every single second of Dippin'

Seconded (the title cut especially), and although "Ceora" is a classic (as well as a nice programming change of pace), my favorite cut from Cornbread is "Our Man Higgins". the way that thing shifts from whole-tone to standard changes really plays to where everybody was at at that time (including Jackie).

Me 'n You (from NRFS) is a 24 bar long meter blues before Sidewinder

Caddy For Daddy is that Sidewinder groove but with call 'n response instead of a unison head.

But nearly everything they did together is groovy

Chicken 'n Dumplins with AB & TJMs is nice too.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

14 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

fun fact: although hank and lee were probs the quintessential hard bop sax-tpt team, they weren't particularly close, friendship wise, they weren't enemies or anything like that, no no- but hank was much closer to say walter bishop jr, but hank and lee did have a fantastic working relationship 

Well, they were of different generations...and the real break probably happened when Hank was incarcerated and Lee kept working.

On 7/1/2018 at 8:03 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

fun fact: although hank and lee were probs the quintessential hard bop sax-tpt team, they weren't particularly close, friendship wise, they weren't enemies or anything like that, no no- but hank was much closer to say walter bishop jr, but hank and lee did have a fantastic working relationship 

Interesting info, what is your source?

I don't know if your intention is to pursue the Mobley/Morgan relationship chronologically, but I'd have a hard time overlooking a tune like "Nostalgia" fro the 1956 Savoy recording, "Introducing Lee Morgan".  Lee was only 17 when the album was recorded, but it clearly lays the groundwork for what was to come.  

• 2 months later...