BFT 172 - July Discussion and Access

tkeith

To access July’s BFT, please use the following link. 

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

at the risk of stepping on KEN’s toenails, I’m going to start this today (not sure I am available tomorrow). 

Apologies in advance — this is a long BFT.  I am usually better about that.  Mostly long tracks, more of a listener than a fooler.  Enjoy!

18 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Ouch. I'm still awaiting some guesses on a few tracks in BFT 171. #2 seems to be a stumper, while there are a few I'm surprised no one has identified at least the composition.

Shoulda had your skates on!  ;)

Love your BFT's, we are wired so similarly for our tastes!  #9 is "Salvation Army" by the amazing Lloyd McNeill from the 'Treasures' album.  #2 sounds like a cut from early 70's that I  certainly have and have enjoyed, but I'm having trouble ID'ing it.  Will live in this BFT for awhile and be back with more.  I know I've heard/own some of the others, too.

Spot on on track 9. LM was introduced to my via the BFT, and boy am I glad.  LOVE this tune.  And, I agree about how we are wired.  Of course, I knew that the first time I saw your avatar!  A few years back this happened:

IMG_0014.jpg

As soon as I heard the first few seconds of Track 8, I recognized it. This is from an LP I bought as soon as it came out in 1979. I played it very often at that time.

It is George Adams, from his classic "Paradise Space Shuttle" album. The song is "City of Peace,"

I saw George live several times in those days, and just loved his playing. I still do.

R-1051666-1356196807-8992.jpeg.jpg

R-1051666-1356196814-4232.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Hot Ptah

Correct!  My father picked this record out for me at Looney Tunes in Boston.  At first, I didn't care for it.  Upon repeated listenings, it became a favorite.  There's a couple of filler tracks, but most of the album is excellent.

4 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Correct!  My father picked this record out for me at Looney Tunes in Boston.  At first, I didn't care for it.  Upon repeated listenings, it became a favorite.  There's a couple of filler tracks, but most of the album is excellent.

To me, there are no filler tracks on this album. I have listened to it more than 100 times, often on headphones.

Track 1 is so interesting. It raises the question of what would it have been like if Miles Davis had recorded lyrical duets with his pianists. I have no idea who this is, but I like it very much.

I have Track 6 in my collection. I have a few ideas and will do some exploring, which will be fun in and of itself.

Disclaimer:  I'm extremely rusty (probably "in over my head" here more than ever), having lost some passion and enthusiasm for music (and this forum) in recent years.  But I appreciate what Thom is doing, and want to contribute something (we don't want Elmer Fudd hanging around here).

1. The tune is "Yesterday, When I Was Young", composed in 1964 by Charles Aznavour.  Roy Clark (of all people) had a hit with it in the U.S.  Sounds like these players are enjoying a sort of casual attempt to recollect the tune and the changes and the possibilities for re-harmonizing and... trying to get it together.  Doesn't feel like they quite did, but that's just how I'm hearing it.

2. Outstanding performance, with great energy and emotion.  Not really something I'm able to confidently try to identify, however.

3. Another nice one.  I like the rhythm section, and the sound quality (pretty great to my ears) helps in being able to appreciate that.  Don't think I've ever heard this, although it's more up my alley stylistically.  The composition isn't necessarily what I would call memorable, but the tenor player "leaves it all out on the field" in that solo.  Impressive.

4. The instrumentation, composition, and mood remind me a bit of Joe H (say, "Page One" era), but I'm not sure I've heard this before.  Really nice.

5. I feel like I might've heard this tune before.  At first I thought the vocalist might be Curtis Salgado, but no.  The solos are good, but nothing too distinctive or memorable to my ears.  I like having an organ in the mix here, as opposed to the more frequently heard (on this kind of thing) piano.  Unfortunately, this isn't helping me guess who this is.  May spin this again later.

6. A nice and relaxing listen.  This overall feel reminds me of a bit of Joe Sample's "Carmel" album (it's not that, it just reminds me of that).  Perhaps the main difference is that this doesn't begin with as much of a distinct melodic theme, which I might have preferred.  At any rate, I would (and will) listen to this again.

7. My reaction to this is much like #2, but I liked this one a bit more.  No idea who this is, but I'm glad I heard it.

8. Beautiful.  This tenor has a more distinct tone than the average player, for sure.  That alone lifts this up a notch or two, in my book.  If I hadn't become so passive as a listener in more recent years, I feel like I ought to be able to recognize it and put a name to it (although I don't think this particular player ever got into heavy rotation for me).  Ah, nice touch with the "Sabre Dance" quote at 5:42.  

9. Wow, talk about getting swept away to another time and place.  Okay, now I want to party.  Or not, because I'm getting buzzed just listening to this.  Don't think I've ever heard it, but it's so reminiscent of some of the music I was partying to back in the 70's.  Virtuosic flautistics, but this isn't just about "chops", it's about sweeping somebody away with that feel.

10. Interesting and lovely tune, and interesting bone/flute contrast.  I enjoyed the whole thing, although the bass and drums sort of distracted me at times.

11. Not as attracted to anything about this one, but I can't complain... this BFT is already a big winner in my book.

12. I prefer this to #11, but as a long-form piece without much complexity (melodically or harmonically) to the structure, it went on a bit long for me.  The solos were less impressive to my ears than some of the earlier tracks here, and thus I struggled to enjoy this one as much.  The hand claps behind the piano solo helped, though!

13. Ah, back to working on that Aznavour tune...  Still needs some work, guys, but the sentiment is meaningful.

Outstanding collection, Thom.  Thank you.

10 hours ago, Jim R said:

Disclaimer:  I'm extremely rusty (probably "in over my head" here more than ever), having lost some passion and enthusiasm for music (and this forum) in recent years.  But I appreciate what Thom is doing, and want to contribute something (we don't want Elmer Fudd hanging around here).

Glad you could stop by! 

1. The tune is "Yesterday, When I Was Young", composed in 1964 by Charles Aznavour.  Roy Clark (of all people) had a hit with it in the U.S.  Sounds like these players are enjoying a sort of casual attempt to recollect the tune and the changes and the possibilities for re-harmonizing and... trying to get it together.  Doesn't feel like they quite did, but that's just how I'm hearing it.

I think you called this one pretty well, though I think the perceived failure to pull it off is intentional.  They call it something else, but parentheticaly "Yesterday". 

2. Outstanding performance, with great energy and emotion.  Not really something I'm able to confidently try to identify, however.

3. Another nice one.  I like the rhythm section, and the sound quality (pretty great to my ears) helps in being able to appreciate that.  Don't think I've ever heard this, although it's more up my alley stylistically.  The composition isn't necessarily what I would call memorable, but the tenor player "leaves it all out on the field" in that solo.  Impressive.

Pretty well assessed.  Really don't expect this one to get ID'd.

4. The instrumentation, composition, and mood remind me a bit of Joe H (say, "Page One" era), but I'm not sure I've heard this before.  Really nice.

Certainly a period that influenced this band.

5. I feel like I might've heard this tune before.  At first I thought the vocalist might be Curtis Salgado, but no.  The solos are good, but nothing too distinctive or memorable to my ears.  I like having an organ in the mix here, as opposed to the more frequently heard (on this kind of thing) piano.  Unfortunately, this isn't helping me guess who this is.  May spin this again later.

6. A nice and relaxing listen.  This overall feel reminds me of a bit of Joe Sample's "Carmel" album (it's not that, it just reminds me of that).  Perhaps the main difference is that this doesn't begin with as much of a distinct melodic theme, which I might have preferred.  At any rate, I would (and will) listen to this again.

7. My reaction to this is much like #2, but I liked this one a bit more.  No idea who this is, but I'm glad I heard it.

That assessment comes as no surprise.  I'm surprised this one hasn't been pegged, yet.

8. Beautiful.  This tenor has a more distinct tone than the average player, for sure.  That alone lifts this up a notch or two, in my book.  If I hadn't become so passive as a listener in more recent years, I feel like I ought to be able to recognize it and put a name to it (although I don't think this particular player ever got into heavy rotation for me).  Ah, nice touch with the "Sabre Dance" quote at 5:42.  

9. Wow, talk about getting swept away to another time and place.  Okay, now I want to party.  Or not, because I'm getting buzzed just listening to this.  Don't think I've ever heard it, but it's so reminiscent of some of the music I was partying to back in the 70's.  Virtuosic flautistics, but this isn't just about "chops", it's about sweeping somebody away with that feel.

Exactly.

10. Interesting and lovely tune, and interesting bone/flute contrast.  I enjoyed the whole thing, although the bass and drums sort of distracted me at times.

Seems to have been an occasional mark of the label that produced this music.  In my mind, it was frequently the recording (there were some great drummers in the stable), but some of the recordings seemed to feature the "b" team.

11. Not as attracted to anything about this one, but I can't complain... this BFT is already a big winner in my book.

Appreciate that.  This one, IMHO, gets better upon repeated listening.  Another tenor who leaves it all on the field.

12. I prefer this to #11, but as a long-form piece without much complexity (melodically or harmonically) to the structure, it went on a bit long for me.  The solos were less impressive to my ears than some of the earlier tracks here, and thus I struggled to enjoy this one as much.  The hand claps behind the piano solo helped, though!

I mostly agree on the composition, but the rhythmic pattern and the movement in the piano's left hand (freeing up the bass for ad-libs) make this one special to my ear.  Composed by a GREAT musician and an underrated composer.

13. Ah, back to working on that Aznavour tune...  Still needs some work, guys, but the sentiment is meaningful.

Outstanding collection, Thom.  Thank you.

Thanks, again!

1/13 sounds like a train wreck to me!  The piano is fine, but the trumpet grates.  
2 - sounds like a McCoy Tyner cut from something like Sama Layuca, but I can't place it.
3 - good for what it is, I'm not often huge on the islandish lilt thing
4 - also good for what it is, I'm not often huge on the moody balladish thing
5 is great for what it is.
6 - Has that 70's indy sound, John Hicksish sound love it, something like John Hicks
7 - tip of my tongue, know I have some version of this somewhere, thinking it may be a Kenny Barron comp, love this version
8 - also sounds so familiar and so 70's, Pharoah Sandersish
9 - I had ID'd this as Lloyd McNeill, one of my musical heroes!
10 - to me, overlong and underrehearsed.  I'm not big on most trombone styles, just sort of do the JJ/Fuller/Moncur things
11 - feel of some of the earlier Elvin Jones work, love the trumpet player!
12 - Now this is a trombone style I'm more in sync with.  Like the cut!

Great BFT, thanks so much, can't wait for the reveals on 2/6/7/8/11/12, feel like I have most or all of them already, especially #2, makes me crazy!

7 hours ago, felser said:

1/13 sounds like a train wreck to me!  The piano is fine, but the trumpet grates.  
2 - sounds like a McCoy Tyner cut from something like Sama Layuca, but I can't place it.
3 - good for what it is, I'm not often huge on the islandish lilt thing
4 - also good for what it is, I'm not often huge on the moody balladish thing
5 is great for what it is.
6 - Has that 70's indy sound, John Hicksish sound love it, something like John Hicks
7 - tip of my tongue, know I have some version of this somewhere, thinking it may be a Kenny Barron comp, love this version

Not KB.  I figured you'd dig this one and figured you for a lock to get it.

8 - also sounds so familiar and so 70's, Pharoah Sandersish
9 - I had ID'd this as Lloyd McNeill, one of my musical heroes!
10 - to me, overlong and underrehearsed.  I'm not big on most trombone styles, just sort of do the JJ/Fuller/Moncur things
11 - feel of some of the earlier Elvin Jones work, love the trumpet player!

Hint:  Trumpet player identifies as something else and THEN a guy who plays trumpet.

12 - Now this is a trombone style I'm more in sync with.  Like the cut!

Great BFT, thanks so much, can't wait for the reveals on 2/6/7/8/11/12, feel like I have most or all of them already, especially #2, makes me crazy!

I'd be surprised if you're not correct about most of those.

3 hours ago, tkeith said:

He is in there, and it is his composition, but the band operates under multiple names.

Of course!  It's "Awakening" from this! And certainly I have it at home, but haven't listened to it in years - will rectify that shortly.  Now on to solving cut #2!

R-6416388-1444892196-2003.jpeg.jpg

Track 2;  I love these Coltrane influenced pieces, in which the group, including a good saxophonist, plays with a Coltrane influence. If done well, I really like this style of music. These musicians bring something original to this style. I was thinking for awhile that I was hearing an English horn, which would lead me to Andrew White as just about the only English horn player in the Coltrane style, that I am aware of. But then I decided that it is not an English horn. I used to guess Azar Lawrence as the saxophonist whenever I did not know who was playing in this style. I liked Azar's playing so much on the 1970s McCoy Tyner albums, and on his "Bridge to the New Age" album. But then about twenty times in a row, it was not Azar Lawrence, so I have stopped guessing that it is him.

In short, I do not know who is playing, but I love this.

Track 3  This is a sort of Carribean island style music, but it does not sound to me like the musicians come from there. It sounds like musicians who usually play in another style tyring to play in this style. Oddly, the drummer sounds to me like a New Orleans drummer trying to play in this style. The drummer's playing reminds me of John Boudreaux, who was incredible when I saw him live with Dr. John in the early 1990s.

In any event, this is really good.

Track 4   I love this! I need to buy this. I love all of the solos, especially the bass solo. The bassist is a heavy musician. I also love the feeling of this, the dark soulfulness. It sounds like the musicians are bringing heavy life experiences to their sound.

I have no idea who it is, but it is one of the better tracks I have heard all year.

Track 5   As I was blissing out about Track 4, then the beginning of this Track hit me, loudly. I just about jumped up in my chair. I have a lot of blues and rhythm and blues albums in this style, but I do not know this musician. I like his singing though. The keyboard player is really good too.

Track 6  I know that I have this in my collection, but I can't find it. Absent that, I really like it, but have no idea who the musicians are. It could be John Hicks and Ray Drummond, but it does not quite sound like them. The drummer is rather busy, but I like the energy.

On 7/23/2018 at 3:59 PM, Hot Ptah said:

Track 2;  I love these Coltrane influenced pieces, in which the group, including a good saxophonist, plays with a Coltrane influence. If done well, I really like this style of music. These musicians bring something original to this style. I was thinking for awhile that I was hearing an English horn, which would lead me to Andrew White as just about the only English horn player in the Coltrane style, that I am aware of. But then I decided that it is not an English horn. I used to guess Azar Lawrence as the saxophonist whenever I did not know who was playing in this style. I liked Azar's playing so much on the 1970s McCoy Tyner albums, and on his "Bridge to the New Age" album. But then about twenty times in a row, it was not Azar Lawrence, so I have stopped guessing that it is him.

Man, you are so sniffing around the fire!  Azar Lawrence DOES appear on this album, but this is not him.

In short, I do not know who is playing, but I love this.

Track 3  This is a sort of Carribean island style music, but it does not sound to me like the musicians come from there. It sounds like musicians who usually play in another style tyring to play in this style. Oddly, the drummer sounds to me like a New Orleans drummer trying to play in this style. The drummer's playing reminds me of John Boudreaux, who was incredible when I saw him live with Dr. John in the early 1990s.

In any event, this is really good.

I'll be surprised if anyone gets this one.  Your assessment that they are not Caribbean is correct.  They seem to cover a fairly wide stylistic swath.

Track 4   I love this! I need to buy this. I love all of the solos, especially the bass solo. The bassist is a heavy musician. I also love the feeling of this, the dark soulfulness. It sounds like the musicians are bringing heavy life experiences to their sound.

I have no idea who it is, but it is one of the better tracks I have heard all year.

Nothing about your reaction to this is a surprise, and yes, the bassist is INDEED a heavy musician.  I would say the pianist qualifies, as well.

Track 5   As I was blissing out about Track 4, then the beginning of this Track hit me, loudly. I just about jumped up in my chair. I have a lot of blues and rhythm and blues albums in this style, but I do not know this musician. I like his singing though. The keyboard player is really good too.

This guy was a discovery to me about 20 years back.  Haven't heard all that much from him recently, which could be as much my fault as his.

Track 6  I know that I have this in my collection, but I can't find it. Absent that, I really like it, but have no idea who the musicians are. It could be John Hicks and Ray Drummond, but it does not quite sound like them. The drummer is rather busy, but I like the energy.

I like where your ears took you, but this test does the impossible -- a BFT from me absent a John Hicks appearance.