BFT 172 - July Discussion and Access

tkeith

7. This has been identified as coming from an album I own but have not played in awhile, I really like this a lot, more than I remembered.

8. I identified this one early on as George Adams, from his great "Paradise Space Shuttle" album.

9. That is a sprightly track, with nice flute playing. It reminds me of the time when I saw Dave Valentin live.

10.  I love this. Is that George Lewis on trombone? Who plays flute that well? I wondered if it was James Newton, but it doesn't seem to have his unique playing. I want to buy this. I really love it.

11. This is killer stuff, just exactly what I really like. I should be able to identify the musicians but I can't. Each of the solos is first rate. I love the drumming. Here is another one that I want to buy.

12. I love this one too! The trombonist has some of Roswell Rudd's broad tone and growling. Is that James Williams on piano? That is just the kind of jazz I love to listen to.

Tracks 10, 11 and 12 could come from a personal playlist which I would make of my favorite listening.

13. It sounds like the artist on Track 1 again, a reprise. I liked the artist on Track 1 and like the artist again.

This is a Blindfold Test right in my prime desired listening area, which is going to cause a dent to my wallet.  

9 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

10.  I love this. Is that George Lewis on trombone? Who plays flute that well? I wondered if it was James Newton, but it doesn't seem to have his unique playing. I want to buy this. I really love it.

Older than that group... or at least, in a different loft.

11. This is killer stuff, just exactly what I really like. I should be able to identify the musicians but I can't. Each of the solos is first rate. I love the drumming. Here is another one that I want to buy.

Yes, yes you do.  It is available and I can provide you with the link in the reveal.

12. I love this one too! The trombonist has some of Roswell Rudd's broad tone and growling. Is that James Williams on piano? That is just the kind of jazz I love to listen to.

Sorry about the dent.  Not Roswell, and probably considered more mainstream than that, but actually covers a broader spectrum.  One might (and this player DOES) argue that this trombonist is "the most widely idiomatically recorded musician of [their] generation".

2 hours ago, tkeith said:

Older than that group... or at least, in a different loft.

Yes, yes you do.  It is available and I can provide you with the link in the reveal.

Sorry about the dent.  Not Roswell, and probably considered more mainstream than that, but actually covers a broader spectrum.  One might (and this player DOES) argue that this trombonist is "the most widely idiomatically recorded musician of [their] generation".

Description sounds like it could be Steve Turre, but I don't believe this is him.  Has to be a big name to fit that claim, which would seem to eliminate Frank Lacy, who it sounds like.  The modern guy I really like is Conrad Herwig, but this isn't him. 

9 hours ago, felser said:

Description sounds like it could be Steve Turre, but I don't believe this is him.  Has to be a big name to fit that claim, which would seem to eliminate Frank Lacy, who it sounds like.  The modern guy I really like is Conrad Herwig, but this isn't him. 

Actually that description makes it sound like J.J. Johnson.

On 7/28/2018 at 10:55 PM, felser said:

Frank Lacy is correct.