New Dolphy release on Resonance

romualdo

Some discussion on Dolphy newsgroup re upcoming Resonance release - see extract below - very excited about this indeed!!

Zev Feldman came to Japan last year, so he commented on
Dolphy's materials in "JaZZ JAPAN"(vol. 92) magazine interview
by journalist, Kiyoshi Kojima.( http://blog.livedoor.jp/dolphyandme/archives/25279751.html)

New release will be from

"Douglas session",

it is being prepared as beginning of 2019.

Zev has 8 hours tape(mono-ver. not master tape) from James Newton,
originally Dolphy had taken to Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Sorry for my poor English.

Atsushi Yamaguchi, Japan.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps some of these tracks were previously released in Japan as Muses (MMEX-159-CD) back in 2013? Sound ranging from very good mono to atrocious.

https://www.discogs.com/Eric-Dolphy-Muses/release/6187302

The two duets with Richard Davis (Alone Together, Muses) and the saxophone solo Love Me were excellent. I remember the two quintet tracks being sonically awful. I might put the Muses CD on again tomorrow. 

Edited by erwbol

On the released take of Alone Together (Conversations) Richard Davis switches to a bow for a while after thirty seconds when Dolphy comes in. On this alternate he keeps plucking the strings and switches to bow only near the end. Sound very good mono for this particular track, no worse than my stereo CD of Conversations (Fresh Sound).

Muse, completely new tune, excellent sound. If enough material of this quality (performance, sonics) exists Resonance should make this a multiple CD set. Couldn't they just release the original Conversations and Iron Man albums in mono as well?

I just got done listening to 'The Complete Studio Recordings of the Chico Hamilton Quintet featuring Dolphy and Dennis Budimir', and it is absolutely astounding how Dolphy had mastered the mainstream idiom during this time period! They have him performing with an entire string section, and IMHO, he surpasses Bird, Stitt and Woods in his sound, inventiveness and technique during this period.

As Roland Kirk said,"You gotta master inside before you can go outside".

• 2 weeks later...

Now I am curious about the new tune.

I was at the Library of Congress today and looked at the Dolphy collection. As you can tell from the finding aid, there are a number of unknown titles. Some of these are way more than leads sheets, with parts for various instruments. It would be nice to get a handle on all of this. I know a German saxophonist went through all of it, but she never answers my emails so I don't know what she concluded from all of this. There is an untitled flute/bass duet. I wonder if it is the same as 'Muses'.

I hope I can hear some of this music one day.

Resonance supposedly has 85 minutes of material.

Bertrand.

If the Resonance material has any unknown compositions, one way to possibly get a title would be to go through the LC collection. A very time consuming process, but wouldn't they need absolute confirmation on the composer? It is of course a case-by-case situation. For the duet, Richard Davis could be consulted. Did they make it up on the spot, did Dolphy bring in some music, is Richard the composer?

Reminds me that I think I had seen a title for the untitled piece on the Grant Green in France release. Someone who had the bootleg had a title. Again, this is not just an intellectual exercise, a composer needs to be paid.

I will dig up the Grant Green thread later, perhaps this was discussed there. I need the correct title for my iTunes folder or I can't sleep at night :)

Bertrand.

On 14/07/2018 at 9:25 AM, bertrand said:

Now I am curious about the new tune.

I was at the Library of Congress today and looked at the Dolphy collection. As you can tell from the finding aid, there are a number of unknown titles. Some of these are way more than leads sheets, with parts for various instruments. It would be nice to get a handle on all of this. I know a German saxophonist went through all of it, but she never answers my emails so I don't know what she concluded from all of this. There is an untitled flute/bass duet. I wonder if it is the same as 'Muses'.

I hope I can hear some of this music one day.

Resonance supposedly has 85 minutes of material.

Bertrand.

Voila!

• 2 months later...
On 4.10.2018 at 0:42 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Track listing and timings seem to be visible (in English) towards the bottom of this page:

https://diskunion.net/portal/ct/detail/1007761689

Up to 32+ minutes per side ... high quality vinyl?

Details:

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10435

I'll gladly wait for the CD.

The ca. 155-160 minutes playing time, so neatly matching two CDs (I know that could go into 170 min by now) has me wondering though if we really get *the* comprehensive package here ...

So same "Other Aspects" (silly addition, reducing the really new material to 70 min) or other "Other Aspects"? Why is 1962 part of the title (edit: not of title but of info on rsd site, see link above; disk union says 1964 instead, which is prob. wrong - or it was 1964 actually, and the info on the BN CD is off?) - 'cause of previously released Aspects? 

I'm already not that enthused about this release, that is for sure. And Resonance should cut their hyperbole, big time!

Edited by king ubu

• 4 weeks later...