Amazon Prime Day 2018

Amazon has announced that this year's Prime Day will begin at 3:00 pm July 16 and continue through July 17.

In the past, some other stores have also had big sales on Prime Day, so that Amazon would not get all of the day's action.

If you see a relevant Prime Day deal, please post it here!

6 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Yes, but you can sign up for a 30-day free trial.  If not satisfied, quit without commitment.

Unless you've already used up your allotment of free offers. And what's this I've noticed, items that are only for sale to Prime members? That's a pile of BS right there.

I don't see any BS at all. A person who has no intention of becoming a Prime member that repeatedly signs up for an introductory offer in order to take advantage of an annual sale is trying to scam the system. Offering some products at a lower price is just one of the advantages of Prime membership. Some individuals with a sense of entitlement demand the benefits enjoyed by others without having to pay their dues. 

43 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

I don't see any BS at all. A person who has no intention of becoming a Prime member that repeatedly signs up for an introductory offer in order to take advantage of an annual sale is trying to scam the system. Offering some products at a lower price is just one of the advantages of Prime membership. Some individuals with a sense of entitlement demand the benefits enjoyed by others without having to pay their dues. 

I am not talking about taking advantage of any annual Prime sale.  I've joined Prime when offered before the holidays and cancelled at the end of the free term. It's not gaming the system in any way shape or form. If anything their software should have recognized me before as someone who has used Prime for free trial periods only.

I'm talking about items that are available ONLY to Prime members. That's extortion. There's no ifs ands or buts about it.  There is no way for me to justify Prime membership when I buy from Amazon so infrequently.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I'm talking about items that are available ONLY to Prime members. That's extortion. There's no ifs ands or buts about it.  There is no way for me to justify Prime membership when I buy from Amazon so infrequently.

Prime Day sounds like it is pretty much Prime's yearly members' appreciation day.  To label that extortion is just silly.  Here is the link to more Prime benefits that are being unjustly withheld from you. :wacko:

11 hours ago, Justin V said:

Prime Day sounds like it is pretty much Prime's yearly members' appreciation day.  To label that extortion is just silly.  Here is the link to more Prime benefits that are being unjustly withheld from you. :wacko:

Listen up people:

Two weeks ago I was shopping for dog food and found what I thought might work for Gracie who has major food allergies.

THE ITEM WAS MARKED PRIME MEMBERS ONLY AND THIS WAS LONG BEFORE ANY PRIME DAY. NO "PRIME PRICE" AND NON-PRIME PRICE. PRIME CUSTOMERS ONLY CAN BUY THIS BAG OF FUCKING DOG FOOD.  FUCK THAT, AND TWICE ON SUNDAYS.

This is extortion. It's like a restaurant telling you that you have to sign up for their "Rewards" program to order a particular dish on the menu. and the minimum charge for the "rewards" is $10 a month.

Amazon can do whatever the fuck they want with their Prime Day but as supermarket to the world they shouldn't withhold some items from anybody who won't pay them  for the privilege of purchasing it.

First off, there's no need for yelling, vulgarity or histrionics. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you referring to the Wag line of pet food? Wag is Amazon' s new label of dog food specifically for prime members. I understand your frustration, but there are other brands sold at Amazon and other online suppliers (i.e., Blue Buffalo Basics, Brother, Canidae Grain Free, etc.) that might satisfy your pooch's particular dietary needs. 

Ugh.  Pet allergies are rough.  If you are ineligible for another Prime trial, you should have a friend or family member buy you a bag and see whether it agrees with your dog.  If it does, paying for a Prime membership and taking advantage of free shipping might beat having to go to the store and schlep food home.  A lot of people in my neighborhood use chewy.com for their pet needs, but I don't know about their prices and shipping rates.

50 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

That's not Gracie that's Coltrane who died three years ago in September. Gracie is a Weimaraner, and we're fortunate to still have her.  We got her 12 years ago when she was about one.

For some reason I thought that you had gotten some kind of rare breed.  Well, someone here did, I guess.  The Weimaraners I've met are fun.  The ones that come into the shelter I volunteer at tend to get snapped up quickly. 

21 minutes ago, Justin V said:

For some reason I thought that you had gotten some kind of rare breed.  Well, someone here did, I guess.  The Weimaraners I've met are fun.  The ones that come into the shelter I volunteer at tend to get snapped up quickly. 

Coltrane was a Karelian Bear Dog.  Gracie has terrible separation anxiety and needed a companion after he died. We found a breeder and got King, another Bear Dog, two years ago last May. He's two and a half now and finally settling down out of the puppy phase, which is a great relief.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Coltrane was a Karelian Bear Dog.  Gracie has terrible separation anxiety and needed a companion after he died. We found a breeder and got King, another Bear Dog, two years ago last May. He's two and a half now and finally settling down out of the puppy phase, which is a great relief.

Ah, then it was you.  I still haven't met one yet.  I have a Treeing Walker Coonhound mix, and most people have never heard of the breed around here.  Anyway, I'm glad that your Weimaraner has found the right food and has a buddy.

7 hours ago, Justin V said:

Ah, then it was you.  I still haven't met one yet.  I have a Treeing Walker Coonhound mix, and most people have never heard of the breed around here.  Anyway, I'm glad that your Weimaraner has found the right food and has a buddy.

This reminds me of the scene in Jaws when he says "It's a tiger shark" and the guy says "a whaaaat?"

Anyway that's a cool looking breed I must say. I had a beagle once so I am extra appreciative of the tri-color look.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

This reminds me of the scene in Jaws when he says "It's a tiger shark" and the guy says "a whaaaat?"

Anyway that's a cool looking breed I must say. I had a beagle once so I am extra appreciative of the tri-color look.

That is literally the reaction I get.  Here he is with his best friend.yjxRpI.jpg

I'm sure there are some offers (special pricing) I'm missing out on by not having a Prime membership.  But since I don't take advantage of any of their video/movie streaming (no interest), the only other real benefit to me would -- I presume -- be the free 2-day shipping.

But since they still offer free standard shipping for any order over $35 (I think that's the limit), it's nothing to find $35 worth of stuff to buy from them, to avoid shipping costs.  Yeah, it takes a few more days -- but I'm pretty cheap, and I'm glad to wait 6-8 days (and it's usually more like 5 days) in order to both avoid shipping costs -- AND also avoid Prime membership costs.

Other than convenience (and all the streaming stuff), what else am I missing out on by not having Prime?

My other worry is that if I had Prime, I'd be temped to order from Amazon ALL the time.  As it is, I usually only order stuff from them about 4-6 times a years.  I look for stuff on Amazon all the time, mind you -- but I just save everything to my wish list.  And then when I get around to really NEEDING something -- only then do I pick out enough things from that list to get to the $35 threshold (for free shipping), and hit the "buy" button.

I'm sure I save hundreds a year in NOT buying stuff I really don't need.  Mrs. Rooster and I live in a 630 sq-ft 1BR apartment, so the last thing I need is more stuff (let me tell you).  If I lived back in Kansas City (in our 1,400 sq-ft house, I'm sure I'm be WAY temped to buy more stuff, and probably be on Prime - come to think of it). 

Aww. if we had an infant, King would be pawing at his face to get him to play, like he does with Gracie.

The real problem has been that Gracie was much closer to Coltrane's age when we had them, so play time was good for both of them and they sort of aged out of it anyway.  now Gracie is much older and King is so young and aggressive and knocks her down too much. It is funny to see them though when Gracie decides she does want to play.  He loves being chased and she will stalk him, manipulating him into moving one way and then back, this way, and that.

On 7/8/2018 at 5:39 PM, GA Russell said:

Amazon has announced that this year's Prime Day will begin at 3:00 pm July 16 and continue through July 17.

In the past, some other stores have also had big sales on Prime Day, so that Amazon would not get all of the day's action.

If you see a relevant Prime Day deal, please post it here!

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/amazon-prime-day-2018-the-best-early-deals-in-tech-so-far/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid=24336699393021701491504454566287

6 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Other than convenience (and all the streaming stuff), what else am I missing out on by not having Prime?

Here's a rundown of Prime benefits:

https://www.consumerreports.org/online-shopping/pros-cons-amazon-prime/

(note - in some cases, the free 2 day delivery is actually free same-day, or in even free 2 hr delivery)