Left Bank releases upcoming

jazzbo

Interesting news from Zev Feldman who has been producing releases for Resonance Records:

THE JAZZ DETECTIVE GOES TO BALTIMORE! I had the pleasure Monday of interviewing and receiving some newly found tapes from my good friend, and original board member of The Left Bank Jazz Society, John Fowler. Over the next two years and beyond you’re going to see a stream of previously unissued LBJS recordings from a plethora of jazz greats come out, officially with clearances. The first is Etta Jones “A Soulful Sunday: Live at the Left Bank” (1972) featuring Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins, due out this November on Reel To Real, my new venture with jazz amigo Cory Weeds. The Left Bank Jazz Society captured the spirit and community of the jazz scene from Baltimore from the early 1960’s thru the 1990’s. We’re going to document even further the great accomplishments of the LBJS. Maryland and this amazing organization left a profound mark on Jazz. I want to thank Mr. Fowler for putting his trust in me. More exciting news to come. All the way from Baltimore!
Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish someone would reissue Gary Bartz's wonderful "Home" album, originally on Milestone records, recorded at the Left Bank in 1969.  Bartz/Woody Shaw/Albert Daily/Bob Cunningham/Rashied Ali.  Now that's an interesting group.   

10 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I believe there was a LBJS session list available somewhere .... ?

here you go.

http://home.earthlink.net/~eskelin/leftbank.html

Time to dream, with a hope of having it come true.

Since Zev loves Grant Green, how about

7-31-66 GRANT GREEN, guitar; HAROLD VICK, tenor sax; JOHN PATTON, organ; HUGH WALKER, drums

6 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

here you go.

7-31-66 GRANT GREEN, guitar; HAROLD VICK, tenor sax; JOHN PATTON, organ; HUGH WALKER, drums

Thanx ... my wishes .... :

4-24-66 LUCKY THOMPSON, soprano & tenor sax; HUGH LAWSON, piano; WALTER PERKINS, drums; ABDUL MALIK, bass

5-8-66 ART FARMER, trumpet; JIMMY HEATH, tenor sax; JOHN HICKS, piano; MICKY ROKER, drums; WALTER BOOKER, bass

3-12-67 BOOKER ERVIN, tenor sax; LENNIE McBROWNE, drums; HORACE PARLAN, piano; JAN ARNETT, bass

:

:

:

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Great news assuming that the tapes have held up. I've got a pretty low bar for that type of thing, but wasn't it once said that many are "unusable"...and those that mean the same thing today that it did then?

It's possible that there are better techniques now for salvaging old tapes ("baking" is one of them).  New innovations all the time.

56 minutes ago, mjzee said:

It's possible that there are better techniques now for salvaging old tapes ("baking" is one of them).  New innovations all the time.

I thought that these were known to be cassette tapes.  They only bake reel-to-reels. If these are reels then there may be the possibility of audio salvation.

My threshold for a series like this is gonna be pretty low.  Can't wait to hear details of what they have lined up.  I'll probably buy the Etta Jones just to support the endeavor at the start.

23 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

My threshold for a series like this is gonna be pretty low. 

Yeah, that's me as well. That Left Bank vibe always works for me, the band/audience interaction, sounds like what I knew as "live jazz" back around then.

25 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Re: the Etta Jones with Cedar Walton. I have this one in my racks, dated 1972 I think..

MI0000298390.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Etta is on a couple of tracks. Otherwise it is Cedar and co.

Big fan of the Left Bank sessions too - I’ll be ‘in’.

OH, I just picked this up in the past several months. Seems odd to issue something that Joel Dorn already put out.  Very odd, if that's the case.

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It's not that the playing is always "great", sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. But it's always good, and again, the ambient sound of the audience...it just sounds like what I remember from before things got all different.

To me its the era and the personnel combinations that just make it a "I'd kill to hear it" proposition.  I think I'd hear all of them as good to great, regardless.

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

But it sounds like he's leaving Resonance and this is with a new venture with Cory Weeds.  So maybe Resonance continues apace while this new venture with Left Bank recordings revs up.

Dan, Zev was very recently promoted to President of Resonance Reconds, I don't believe he is leaving but is expanding his involvement to other ventures as well.

1 minute ago, jazzbo said:

Dan, Zev was very recently promoted to President of Resonance Reconds, I don't believe he is leaving but is expanding his involvement to other ventures as well.

Ah! Good to know.  If Resonance's release schedule is full - if still a corporate secret - it's fantastic that he is getting these out thru other means.

Is there any discography/sessionography of already issued LBJS recordings?  I think I've got most of them, but not sure.

BTW, my favorites are:

Wynton Kelly with Tenors (Joe Henderson, George Coleman, Hank Mobley) '67 '68 -- it's Wynton's twilight, but he still swings crazy.  Especially on the George Coleman session.

Lee Morgan/Clifford Jordan '68 -- The only recording of this band I guess.  Ed Blackwell shines.

Freddie Hubbard -- 32 Jazz had issued 2 albums.  Both of them are magnificent.

Cedar Walton on Sundays -- The band is tight, and the guest Etta James sang several tunes, very good (I guess the new one from Resonance might be the complete set from these live?). 

Dexter Gordon -- I think there are 2 albums.  I think these are Bobby Timmons' near-last recordings,  but he plays very well.

Duke Pearson Big Band '69 -- IMHO it's far better than BN studio recordings.  New Girl!

Roy Brooks' Free Slave -- It has very good Woody Shaw.

Coleman Hawkins -- this is a sad document of the declining Tenor great but has some very good Barry Harris playing.

52 minutes ago, mhatta said:

Is there any discography/sessionography of already issued LBJS recordings?  I think I've got most of them, but not sure.

BTW, my favorites are:

Wynton Kelly with Tenors (Joe Henderson, George Coleman, Hank Mobley) '67 '68 -- it's Wynton's twilight, but he still swings crazy.  Especially on the George Coleman session.

Lee Morgan/Clifford Jordan '68 -- The only recording of this band I guess.  Ed Blackwell shines.

Freddie Hubbard -- 32 Jazz had issued 2 albums.  Both of them are magnificent.

Cedar Walton on Sundays -- The band is tight, and the guest Etta James sang several tunes, very good (I guess the new one from Resonance might be the complete set from these live?). 

Dexter Gordon -- I think there are 2 albums.  I think these are Bobby Timmons' near-last recordings,  but he plays very well.

Duke Pearson Big Band '69 -- IMHO it's far better than BN studio recordings.  New Girl!

Roy Brooks' Free Slave -- It has very good Woody Shaw.

Coleman Hawkins -- this is a sad document of the declining Tenor great but has some very good Barry Harris playing.

The Bartz 'Home' on Milestone is excellent, as are the McLean sessions on Steeplechase.  

10 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

here you go.

That list is like a freaking wonderland alternate universe.  Here are some that really blow my mind.  Also interesting to see names on there appearing much earlier than I think of them making their marks in the jazz world (Reuben Brown, Steve Novosel, and especially Dave Hubbard as a leader).  Great stuff all around, thanks for sharing.  Any way to get listings later than 1967?

12-4-66 HERBIE HANCOCK, piano; RON CARTER, bass; WAYNE SHORTER, tenor sax; FREDDIE HUBBARD, trumpet; JACK DEJOHNETTE, drums (Famous Ballroom)

6-26-66 ELVIN JONES, drums; DOLLAR BRAND, piano; DONALD MOORE, bass; FRANK FOSTER, tenor sax

6-5-66 McCOY TYNER, piano; JOE HENDERSON, tenor sax; JACK DEJOHNETTE, drums; HERBERT LEWIS, bass

4-17-66 JACKIE McCLEAN, alto sax; CLIFFORD JARVIS, drums; LARRY WILLIS, piano; DONALD MOORE, bass (Crystal Ballroom)

10-17-65 CHARLES LLOYD, tenor sax; GABOR SZABO, guitar; ALBERT STINSON, bass; PETE LaROCA, drums

8-29-65 GRACHAN MONCOUR III, trombone; BILL BARRON, tenor sax; BUTCH WARREN, bass; STOMP SAUNDERS, drums; LENNY GRAZIER, piano

8-22-65 JACKIE McLEAN, alto sax; CHARLES TOLLIVER, trumpet; LARRY WILLIS, piano; JACK DEJOHNETTE, drums; WILBUR LITTLE, bass

7-11-65 ROY HAYNES, drums; WAYNE SHORTER, tenor sax; ALBERT DAILY, piano; LARRY RIDLEY, bass

6-27-65 CHARLES LLOYD, tenor sax; LOUIS HAYES, drums; SAM JONES, bass; JOE ZAWINUL, piano

5-23-65 HERBIE HANCOCK, piano; RON CARTER, bass; TONY WILLIAMS, drums; SAM RIVERS, tenor sax

4-11-65 GRACHAN MONCOUR III, trombone; CHARLES DAVIS, baritone sax; GARY BARTZ, alto sax; GUS SIMMS, piano; BERTELL KNOX, drums; WILBUR LITTLE, bass

4-18-65 ARCHIE SHEPP, tenor sax; TED CURSON, trumpet; MARION BROWN, alto sax; JOE ORANGE, trombone; REGGIE JOHNSON, bass; MARVIN PATILLIO, drums