Left Bank releases upcoming

jazzbo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, mhatta said:

Is there any discography/sessionography of already issued LBJS recordings?  I think I've got most of them, but not sure.

BTW, my favorites are:

Wynton Kelly with Tenors (Joe Henderson, George Coleman, Hank Mobley) '67 '68 -- it's Wynton's twilight, but he still swings crazy.  Especially on the George Coleman session.

Lee Morgan/Clifford Jordan '68 -- The only recording of this band I guess.  Ed Blackwell shines.

Freddie Hubbard -- 32 Jazz had issued 2 albums.  Both of them are magnificent.

Cedar Walton on Sundays -- The band is tight, and the guest Etta James sang several tunes, very good (I guess the new one from Resonance might be the complete set from these live?). 

Dexter Gordon -- I think there are 2 albums.  I think these are Bobby Timmons' near-last recordings,  but he plays very well.

Duke Pearson Big Band '69 -- IMHO it's far better than BN studio recordings.  New Girl!

Roy Brooks' Free Slave -- It has very good Woody Shaw.

Coleman Hawkins -- this is a sad document of the declining Tenor great but has some very good Barry Harris playing.

51bigkmoRrL._SX425_.jpg

The entire stash of Left Bank tapes should have been preserved/digitized YEARS ago, THEN they could have looked into commercializing some of them. These record labels don't understand research, just the almighty $. Now it's too late, some tapes are lost, others are damaged.

A lot of the ones listed above are not in the possession of the current Left Bank members. Some may not have been recorded. How does one prove that?

I tried to help bring some coherence to this whole collection but my efforts were an utter, total failure. Being a 'nobody' gives you zero credibility in this world of egotists.

Bertrand.  

Edited by bertrand

3 hours ago, sgcim said:

I keep forgetting to pick up the Walter Namuth live recording with that great tenor player. I think I downloaded some of that CD on my Amazon account.

Great, overlooked guitarist.

The Namuth recording crossed my mind too and it’s another one I want to hear. Only ever heard him on Buddy Rich’s ‘Mercy, Mercy, Mercy’ but it was an outstanding performance.

The Lee Morgan was not a Baltimore Left Bank gig, it was organized by the DC chapter. The concert took place at the Royal Arms restaurant in Hyattsville, MD.

There were about 10 Lee Morgan gigs in Baltimore. Some were recorded, but those tapes are apparently AWOL. Not sure what else is AWOL. It's a mess.

Bertrand.

Great news for sure ... and my threshold will be pretty low for this as well.

In addition to the releases mentioned, there are:

- two by Sonny Stitt/Gene Ammons (Fantasy)

- Stan Getz ("My Foolish Heart", Label M or whatever Dorn's outlet was at that very moment)

- Sonny Stitt - Just the Way It Was (Label M as well, mean stuff! :tup )

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The Namuth recording crossed my mind too and it’s another one I want to hear. Only ever heard him on Buddy Rich’s ‘Mercy, Mercy, Mercy’ but it was an outstanding performance.

Backers of the Namuth Kickstarter project received a download of bonus material as well.  IIRC, it ends up being about 100 minutes of material.  I need to pull that one out soon.  Through the magic of the internet, I was surprisingly able to track down Purnell Rice's widow so she could receive royalties from the Namuth release.  Rice was the fine drummer who also played on those excellent Leo Parker Blue Notes.

I have never heard a Left Bank release I didn't like, so it'd be a shame if some of the tantalizing shows that took place never see the light of day.  

3 hours ago, bertrand said:

The Lee Morgan was not a Baltimore Left Bank gig, it was organized by the DC chapter. The concert took place at the Royal Arms restaurant in Hyattsville, MD.

There were about 10 Lee Morgan gigs in Baltimore. Some were recorded, but those tapes are apparently AWOL. Not sure what else is AWOL. It's a mess.

Bertrand.

So that half-painfully out-of-tune piano wasn't at the regular Left Bank venue??

If so, that's GOOD -- because I'm more put off by that damn piano, than I think I am by sound-quality issues generally.

I've got that Lee Morgan date on CD (or at least I had it), and it's not one I pull out very often at all (because of that piano).

The Walter Namuth was the only time LBJS members actually collaborated with a label/organization to issue the recording, rather than just sell or lease the tape.

There was some talk of further collaborations, but that was not to be, alas. They still have a number of recordings of Baltimore legends who never made the big time.

This is not insider knowledge, you can Google it, but the members have always been wary of being 'ripped off'. I am not sure exactly what the concern is. If someone were to get a grant to get the tapes digitized and cleaned up, they would have a better quality product to sell. Seems like a win-win to me.

It is probably too late for that anyway, the youngest member is in his mid to late seventies. It does not seem they are taking on new members, I would be glad to join. They are not completely extinct though, they held a concert in November 2016 that was not well-advertised. The leader was saxophonist Eddie Baccus, I think it leaned towards pop-jazz. I would have gone on principle but was out of town.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I think I was told that artists would get copies of the tapes. That makes sense, since supposedly the artist had to agree to the recording to begin with.

I think I heard that Jackie's own tapes were the source for the two Steeplechase CDs. What about his other concerts for Left Bank?

This connects this conversation to the Coltrane one...

Bertrand.

I think this is the list of all LBJS dates already issued in some ways.  Are there any missing entries?

-----

6-13-65 FREDDIE HUBBARD, trumpet; JIMMY HEATH, tenor sax; GUS SIMMS, piano; WILBUR LITTLE, bass; BERTELL KNOX, drums

1-9-66 WALTER NAMUTH, guitar; MICKEY FIELDS, tenor sax; PHIL HARRIS, bass; CLAUDE HUBBARD, piano; PURNELL RICE, drums

3-20-66 BLUE MITCHELL, trumpet; SONNY RED, alto sax; JOHN HICKS, piano; GENE TAYLOR, bass; JOE CHAMBERS, drums

9-25-66 COLEMAN HAWKINS, tenor sax; BARRY HARRIS, piano; GENE TAYLOR, bass; ROY BROOKS, drums

12-18-66 JACKIE MCLEAN, alto sax; LAMONT JOHNSON, piano; SCOTTY HOLT, bass; BILLY HIGGINS, drums

4-23-67 FREDDIE HUBBARD, trumpet; BENNY MAUPIN, tenor sax; KENNY BARRON, piano; HERBIE LEWIS, bass; FREDDIE WAITS, drums

11-12-67 WYNTON KELLY, piano; HANK MOBLEY, tenor sax; CECIL McBEE, bass; JIMMY COBB, drums

4-21-68 JOE HENDERSON, tenor sax; WYNTON KELLY, piano; PAUL CHAMBERS, bass; JIMMY COBB, drums

9-22-68 WYNTON KELLY, piano; GEORGE COLEMAN, tenor sax; RON MCCLURE, bass; JIMMY COBB, drums

10-27-68 AL COHN, tenor sax; ZOOT SIMS, tenor sax; DAVE FRISHBERG, piano; VICTOR SPROLES, bass; DONALD MCDONALD, drums

3-30-69 GARY BARTZ, alto sax; WOODY SHAW, trumpet; ALBERT DAILY, piano; BOB CUNNINGHAM, bass; RASHIED ALI, drums

4-27-69 DUKE PEARSON, piano; BURT COLLINS, JOE SHEPLEY, DONALD BYRD, JIM BOSSY, trumpet; JULIAN PRIESTER, JOE FORST, EDDIE BERT, trombone; KENNY RUPP, bass trombone, JERRY DODGION, AL GIBBONS, alto sax & flute; FRANK FOSTER, LEW TABACKIN, tenor sax; PEPPER ADAMS, baritone sax; BOB CRANSHAW, bass; MICKEY ROKER, drums

5-4-69 DEXTER GORDON, tenor sax; BOBBY TIMMONS, piano; VICTOR GASKIN, bass; PERCY BRICE, drums

4-26-70 ROY BROOKS, drums; WOODY SHAW, trumpet; GEORGE COLEMAN, tenor sax; HUGH LAWSON, piano; CECIL MCBEE, bass

3-21-71 SONNY STITT, electric varitone & tenor sax; DON PATTERSON, organ; BILLY JAMES, drums

9-6-71 CEDAR WALTON, piano; HERBIE LEWIS, bass; BILLY HIGGINS, drums

2-27-72 CEDAR WALTON, piano; SAM JONES, bass; BILLY HIGGINS, drums; ETTA JONES, singer

6-24-73 GENE AMMONS, tenor sax; SONNY STITT, tenor sax & alto sax; CEDAR WALTON, piano; SAM JONES, bass; BILLY HIGGINS, drums; ETTA JONES, singer

2-3-74 CEDAR WALTON, piano; SAM JONES, bass; BILLY HIGGINS, drums; CLIFFORD JORDAN, tenor sax; BILL HARDMAN, trumpet

5-20-75 STAN GETZ, tenor sax; RICHIE BEIRACH, piano; DAVE HOLLAND, bass; JACK DEJOHNETTE, drums

2 hours ago, mhatta said:

I think this is the list of all LBJS dates already issued in some ways.  Are there any missing entries?

-----

6-13-65 FREDDIE HUBBARD, trumpet; JIMMY HEATH, tenor sax; GUS SIMMS, piano; WILBUR LITTLE, bass; BERTELL KNOX, drums

Release: Freddie Hubbard & Jimmy Heath - Jam Gems: Live at the Left Bank (Label M).

1-9-66 WALTER NAMUTH, guitar; MICKEY FIELDS, tenor sax; PHIL HARRIS, bass; CLAUDE HUBBARD, piano; PURNELL RICE, drums

Release: Walter Namuth's Quintet feat. Mickey Fields - Left Bank '66 (crowd-sourced).

3-20-66 BLUE MITCHELL, trumpet; SONNY RED, alto sax; JOHN HICKS, piano; GENE TAYLOR, bass; JOE CHAMBERS, drums

Release: Blue Mitchell & Sonny Red - Baltimore 1966 (Uptown).

9-25-66 COLEMAN HAWKINS, tenor sax; BARRY HARRIS, piano; GENE TAYLOR, bass; ROY BROOKS, drums

Release: Coleman Hawkins - Supreme: Live at Left Bank Jazz Society (Enja).

12-18-66 JACKIE MCLEAN, alto sax; LAMONT JOHNSON, piano; SCOTTY HOLT, bass; BILLY HIGGINS, drums

Releases: Jackie McLean Quartet - Dr. Jackle (SteepleChase); Jackie McLean Quartet - Tune Up (SteepleChase).

4-23-67 FREDDIE HUBBARD, trumpet; BENNY MAUPIN, tenor sax; KENNY BARRON, piano; HERBIE LEWIS, bass; FREDDIE WAITS, drums

Release: Freddie Hubbard - Fastball: Live at the Left Bank (Label M).

11-12-67 WYNTON KELLY, piano; HANK MOBLEY, tenor sax; CECIL McBEE, bass; JIMMY COBB, drums

Release: The Wynton Kelly Trio with special guest Hank Mobley - Live at the Left Bank Jazz Society Baltimore 1967 (Fresh Sound).

4-21-68 JOE HENDERSON, tenor sax; WYNTON KELLY, piano; PAUL CHAMBERS, bass; JIMMY COBB, drums

Release: Joe Henderson - Four! (Verve)

9-22-68 WYNTON KELLY, piano; GEORGE COLEMAN, tenor sax; RON MCCLURE, bass; JIMMY COBB, drums

Release: The Wynton Kelly Trio with special guest George Coleman - Live at the Left Bank Jazz Society Baltimore 1968 (Fresh Sound).

10-27-68 AL COHN, tenor sax; ZOOT SIMS, tenor sax; DAVE FRISHBERG, piano; VICTOR SPROLES, bass; DONALD MCDONALD, drums

Release: Al Cohn & Zoot Sims - Easy As Pie: Live at the Left Bank (Label M).

3-30-69 GARY BARTZ, alto sax; WOODY SHAW, trumpet; ALBERT DAILY, piano; BOB CUNNINGHAM, bass; RASHIED ALI, drums

Release: Gary Bartz NTU Troop - Home! (Milestone).

4-27-69 DUKE PEARSON, piano; BURT COLLINS, JOE SHEPLEY, DONALD BYRD, JIM BOSSY, trumpet; JULIAN PRIESTER, JOE FORST, EDDIE BERT, trombone; KENNY RUPP, bass trombone, JERRY DODGION, AL GIBBONS, alto sax & flute; FRANK FOSTER, LEW TABACKIN, tenor sax; PEPPER ADAMS, baritone sax; BOB CRANSHAW, bass; MICKEY ROKER, drums

Release: The Duke Pearson Big Band - Baltimore 1969 (Uptown).

5-4-69 DEXTER GORDON, tenor sax; BOBBY TIMMONS, piano; VICTOR GASKIN, bass; PERCY BRICE, drums

Releases: Dexter Gordon - L.T.D. (Prestige); Dexter Gordon - XXL (Prestige).

4-26-70 ROY BROOKS, drums; WOODY SHAW, trumpet; GEORGE COLEMAN, tenor sax; HUGH LAWSON, piano; CECIL MCBEE, bass

Release: Roy Brooks - The Free Slave (Muse).

3-21-71 SONNY STITT, electric varitone & tenor sax; DON PATTERSON, organ; BILLY JAMES, drums

Release: Sonny Stitt & his electric saxophone - Just The Way It Was (Label M).

9-6-71 CEDAR WALTON, piano; HERBIE LEWIS, bass; BILLY HIGGINS, drums

Release: Cedar Walton - Three Sundays in the Seventies (Label M).

2-27-72 CEDAR WALTON, piano; SAM JONES, bass; BILLY HIGGINS, drums; ETTA JONES, singer

6-24-73 GENE AMMONS, tenor sax; SONNY STITT, tenor sax & alto sax; CEDAR WALTON, piano; SAM JONES, bass; BILLY HIGGINS, drums; ETTA JONES, singer

Releases: Gene Ammons & Sonny Stitt - God Bless Jug and Sonny (Prestige); Gene Ammons & Sonny Stitt - Left Bank Encores (Prestige).

2-3-74 CEDAR WALTON, piano; SAM JONES, bass; BILLY HIGGINS, drums; CLIFFORD JORDAN, tenor sax; BILL HARDMAN, trumpet

5-20-75 STAN GETZ, tenor sax; RICHIE BEIRACH, piano; DAVE HOLLAND, bass; JACK DEJOHNETTE, drums

Release: Stan Getz - My Foolish Heart (Label M).

Updated to include release info.

Edited by mjzee

Uptown got about 20 Left Bank tapes. Despite my best efforts and the fact that I had tracked down the phone number for him, he only told me about these, no idea what the others are:

1. The Blue Mitchell that was issued.

2. 3 Duke Pearson big band concerts, half of one was issued.

3. The Grant Green/John Patton that everyone is asking about.

I suggested he put out the Green several times, but he never did. Not sure he ever listened to it, I have no idea how that guy was wired.

How are we ever going to hear the Grant Green session now??? I can only see one way that could happen?

I no longer do favors for record labels since they refuse to reciprocate.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

54 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Uptown got about 20 Left Bank tapes. Despite my best efforts and the fact that I had tracked down the phone number for him, he only told me about these, no idea what the others are:

1. The Blue Mitchell that was issued.

2. 3 Duke Pearson big band concerts, half of one was issued.

3. The Grant Green/John Patton that everyone is asking about.

I suggested he put out the Green several times, but he never did. Not sure he ever listened to it, I have no idea how that guy was wired.

How are we ever going to hear the Grant Green session now??? I can only see one way that could happen?

I no longer do favors for record labels since they refuse to reciprocate.

Bertrand.

Well do we know that Uptown is shutting down? I thought it was noted how his son had been listed as producer or co-producer recently.  Until I hear otherwise I'm going to hope it continues but if it doesn't I doubt that they will sit on all of the assets. Logically the heirs would seek a buyer and lately that's Zev and/or Resonance.   That would include the Piccadily tapes he bought and only put out the Mobley.

The fact that he purchased the Grant Green gives me hope that it is in decent shape, and given the interest in Grant shown by Resonance they might purchase it for release.

• 1 year later...

Just noticed this listing at Dusty Groove.  I don't know the recording date.

fields_mick_astonishi_101b.jpg

A really cooking little session from tenorist Mickey Fields – recorded live as one of the legendary Left Bank sessions in Baltimore! Mickey's got some great company on the date – including Groove Holmes on Hammond, plus George Freeman on guitar and Billy Jackson on drums – a lineup that is featured on most of the record, save for two numbers that change to include Calvin Vaughn on organ and Don Bowie on drums. The album features one very long jam session number titled "Left Bank Cook Out" – and long takes on "Straight No Chaser" and "Lover Man – plus cool takes on "Light My Fire" and "Little Green Apples"

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/474557?format=lp&new_status=used&sort_order=date_added&page=1

• 7 months later...
On 3/13/2020 at 11:05 AM, mjzee said:

Just noticed this listing at Dusty Groove.  I don't know the recording date.

fields_mick_astonishi_101b.jpg

A really cooking little session from tenorist Mickey Fields – recorded live as one of the legendary Left Bank sessions in Baltimore! Mickey's got some great company on the date – including Groove Holmes on Hammond, plus George Freeman on guitar and Billy Jackson on drums – a lineup that is featured on most of the record, save for two numbers that change to include Calvin Vaughn on organ and Don Bowie on drums. The album features one very long jam session number titled "Left Bank Cook Out" – and long takes on "Straight No Chaser" and "Lover Man – plus cool takes on "Light My Fire" and "Little Green Apples"

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/474557?format=lp&new_status=used&sort_order=date_added&page=1

It looks like this would be 3/24/68:

1968.03.24 LBJS, Famous Ballroom, Baltimore, MD Holmes, Groove   Groove Holmes trio, guest Mickey Fields

If it is, you now know the personnel.

9 hours ago, bertrand said:

I posted a complete listing for 1964-1989 in the discography forum. Thanks to Mike Fitzgerald for compiling it. It is still a draft.

The booklet says Resonance is digitizing the tapes, so that's good news. 

You should tell him that the Next button isn't encoded to go to the top of the next page ... and what is this booklet? Thanks for posting this Bertrand.

Disappointed that there are no Two Tenor Boogie dates w Sammy Price and Percy France, would have been tantalizing if there were ... and no Bill Doggett w. Bubba Brooks either.

Nice to see quite a few shows for Arnold Sterling, would love to hear those - and a couple for Allen Houser who self-produced some live sets from the 70s-90s that are available on Amazon as CDRs. If you've never heard of him he was a very solid Morgan-inspired trumpeter who gigged a lot with Buck Hill. 

19 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

You should tell him that the Next button isn't encoded to go to the top of the next page ... and what is this booklet? Thanks for posting this Bertrand.

Disappointed that there are no Two Tenor Boogie dates w Sammy Price and Percy France, would have been tantalizing if there were ... and no Bill Doggett w. Bubba Brooks either.

Nice to see quite a few shows for Arnold Sterling, would love to hear those - and a couple for Allen Houser who self-produced some live sets from the 70s-90s that are available on Amazon as CDRs. If you've never heard of him he was a very solid Morgan-inspired trumpeter who gigged a lot with Buck Hill. 

The booklet is the booklet in the Etta Jones Soulful Sunday CD. Feldman lays out a mission statement of sorts. it does not include the statement I want to see. It does claim I work at the Library of Congress. Fake news.

• 9 months later...
On 10/19/2020 at 6:44 AM, Dan Gould said:

I was referring to the booklet in the Etta Jones CD. 

Those Allen Housers are Left Bank? I heard him and Arnold Sterling in DC a couple of times.

6 hours ago, bertrand said:

I was referring to the booklet in the Etta Jones CD. 

Those Allen Housers are Left Bank? I heard him and Arnold Sterling in DC a couple of times.

No none of the Allen Housers I have found have anything to do with the Left Bank group. But I am jealous if you saw Arnold Sterling and Allen Houser. Two guys under the radar but they could play.