Wayne Shorter - Emanon

djcavanagh

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2018 at 9:28 PM, mjazzg said:

So was I.  Remember it as being revelatory although I can't begin to identify a tracklisting asit all melded into one long track as I recall it

On 25/07/2018 at 9:06 PM, sidewinder said:

If that ‘Live in London’ set was the 2016 one at the Barbican, I was there. The track listings for CDs 2 and 3 certainly look familiar.

How much tenor did Wayne play? I'm hoping Emanon won't be predominantly soprano.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, JSngry said:

yeah, I got a delayed release notification a week or so ago.

look out man, you might have gotten the new version of Ascension Take 1!!!!

I haven't listened yet; saving it until the upcoming Labor Day weekend. I did read the comic book. 

Wayne on soprano is just fine with me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/09/2018 at 6:29 PM, mjazzg said:

Price still high here, £70 on Amazon.UK. 

Will have to wait for a price drop 

yep this price is too rich for my blood at the moment - even with a comic book - pity cos I'd definitely like to hear it. But three CDs and a book £70? Really?

On 13/09/2018 at 6:29 PM, mjazzg said:

Price still high here, £70 on Amazon.UK. 

Will have to wait for a price drop 

On 13/09/2018 at 7:20 PM, sidewinder said:

Nearly as pricey as an Erich Kleinschuster CD..:eye:

56 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

This is wonderful!  Question: Is this part of the graphic novel??

No, doesn’t appear to be—based on my quick skim of it last night. I think it’s just an example of what they’re looking for in the contest.

I listened to disc 1 last night and am going to read the graphic novel (which it’s evidently meant to accompany) while listening again. Haven’t listened to discs 2 and 3 yet. Overall it’s a really interesting package/concept; my only complaint is that the two “Live in London” discs could have fit on one CD—so it ends up feeling like shelling out $60 for a 2-CD set w/accompanying book.  A small complaint overall, and I imagine they were simply replicating the length of the LP versions. (I’ve noticed that a number of recent jazz and indie-pop CD releases are in the 40-45 minute range, which is undoubtedly because they are being released on vinyl as well. And that’s not really a bad thing, more good in general, I’d say. It’s just that Emanon is a pricey set to begin with. Maybe there’s a conceptual reason for splitting the live London material into two discs that I’ll understand better after I listen to them.)

Edited by ghost of miles

4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

my only complaint is that the two “Live in London” discs could have fit on one CD—so it ends up feeling like shelling out $60 for a 2-CD set w/accompanying book.

Wow! Now I'm even less inclined to buy Emanon.

What about the quality of the book (binding) and packaging (easily damaged, scratching of the discs)?

Got mine for about 50€ (ordered a couple of weeks ago at amazon.de) - first spin earlier today ... interesting for sure, but I'll need more time to sit down and listen while not doing anything else at the same time ... the quartet concert is indeed less than 80 minutes, so it is weird that on the CD version they split it up onto two discs, but I guess the price I got is quite alright with me, and the London concert is excellent for sure. Envious of all those that were there (and generally of all those that ever caught him live).