Wayne Shorter - Emanon

djcavanagh

$50 is a bit more like it - still steep though. I would like a vinyl version without having to take out a mortgage, preferably.

The London concert had the orchestral suite following on from the first half quartet performance, I recall. Might even have a couple of photos of the orchestral bit - will have to check.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/15/2018 at 11:17 PM, uli said:

DnEtlM2XgAEnKoa.jpg:large

How can I find out who did this particular throwback "silver-age" comic portrait of Wayne?

I'd love to get in touch with the artist, to encourage them to do a whole series of similar jazz comic-book portraits of various classic 60's Blue Note musicians.

I'd buy an actual comic book (or small coffee-table book) of jazz artists done up in this style, in a heartbeat! Might even consider a higher donation even (aka Kickstarter), if that's what it would take to get the ball rolling.

Edit: You all may think this sounds a little silly (and even I do typing it), but I had a really visceral and even primal sort of reaction to seeing Wayne done up this particular way.

I hardly ever drag them out of the closet but about once every 5+ years (and hardly ever more frequently than that), but I have a good size box of several dozen DC Comics comic books (all from the early-mid 70's, up though the early 80's). But I'm here to tell you, seeing Wayne portrayed like this REALLY pushes my buttons, like I used to get out of collecting comics a bit as a kid (which I stopped by by sophomore year in high-school, and never got interested in collecting on any sort of on-going basis).

Its like my biggest adult interest for the last 30 years (jazz), suddenly intersects with what 12-year old me dug mightily, and still remembers (but almost more subconsciously) all these years later.  GREAT kindling to fire the imagination!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

3 hours ago, Stefan Wood said:

That's a Jack Kirby background.  The inking looks like Mark Evanier.  Neither of them likely did this. 

Probably some artist who was inspired by the New Gods era artwork.

Thanks.  Whoever did it, it may be a little on the 'low art' side of things -- but maybe that's why I like it so much.  It's not trying to be much more than what it is -- or what it seeks to emulate, at least.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for the whole 'retro' effect it conveys -- but sucker me in, it certainly did!!

On 9/16/2018 at 0:09 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

How can I find out who did this particular throwback "silver-age" comic portrait of Wayne?

I'd love to get in touch with the artist, to encourage them to do a whole series of similar jazz comic-book portraits of various classic 60's Blue Note musicians.

I'd buy an actual comic book (or small coffee-table book) of jazz artists done up in this style, in a heartbeat! Might even consider a higher donation even (aka Kickstarter), if that's what it would take to get the ball rolling.

Edit: You all may think this sounds a little silly (and even I do typing it), but I had a really visceral and even primal sort of reaction to seeing Wayne done up this particular way.

I hardly ever drag them out of the closet but about once every 5+ years (and hardly ever more frequently than that), but I have a good size box of several dozen DC Comics comic books (all from the early-mid 70's, up though the early 80's). But I'm here to tell you, seeing Wayne portrayed like this REALLY pushes my buttons, like I used to get out of collecting comics a bit as a kid (which I stopped by by sophomore year in high-school, and never got interested in collecting on any sort of on-going basis).

Its like my biggest adult interest for the last 30 years (jazz), suddenly intersects with what 12-year old me dug mightily, and still remembers (but almost more subconsciously) all these years later.  GREAT kindling to fire the imagination!

I dig where you're coming from, RT.  It would be cool to see a whole series of Blue Note artists done in this style, either as posters or even trading cards.  Seems like something that Don Was might go for.  

I'm really enjoying the live recordings on this new release, btw.  I want to go back and listen to disc 1 (studio) again for further absorption.

Can't post a review after one listen ... but I enjoyed it a lot. The orchestral textures and stuff are intervowen with the quartet, this is not your typical "with strings" date - but then with Shorter that would have been a bad surprise anyway.

The quartet date (less tahn 80 minutes spread over two discs, no clue why) is fantastic, but that's no surprise after the other albums by that group (of which I think "Without a Net" may be the best so far).

The graphic novel is, well ... quite nice to look at, but the plot is a bit on the silly side, but then it's a superhero story, so what else to expect ...

13 hours ago, king ubu said:

Can't post a review after one listen ... but I enjoyed it a lot. The orchestral textures and stuff are intervowen with the quartet, this is not your typical "with strings" date - but then with Shorter that would have been a bad surprise anyway.

The quartet date (less tahn 80 minutes spread over two discs, no clue why) is fantastic, but that's no surprise after the other albums by that group (of which I think "Without a Net" may be the best so far).

The graphic novel is, well ... quite nice to look at, but the plot is a bit on the silly side, but then it's a superhero story, so what else to expect ...

Thank you!  Not real interested in the novel but the music.......thanks for the preliminary review.  I'm in.

I've had the album for about a week, but I just had my first careful listen to the orchestral disc. I went into it prepared to be underwhelmed, but ended up very impressed. The musical dialects of the chamber orchestra and the quartet are very well integrated. Yes, there were a few moments that felt like lots of movement with no development or forward motion, but I only felt like that a couple of times. I really enjoyed this disc.

I've listened to the quartet concert once, but not with real attention yet.

58 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

I've had the album for about a week, but I just had my first careful listen to the orchestral disc. I went into it prepared to be underwhelmed, but ended up very impressed. The musical dialects of the chamber orchestra and the quartet are very well integrated. Yes, there were a few moments that felt like lots of movement with no development or forward motion, but I only felt like that a couple of times. I really enjoyed this disc.

I've listened to the quartet concert once, but not with real attention yet.

My favorite material so far is the first disc with the chamber orchestra.  Like you, I want to revisit the live recordings with a more attentive ear.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...