Vinyl/download-only releases

35 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

While most music downloads give format options, almost universally, they offer mp3. Love or hate it, mp3 is the only real "universal" compressed file format. Many of the lossless formats are not playable in today's media players, particularly in cars.

That couldn’t be further from the truth. 

The Big Three streaming services of Spotify (Ogg Vorbis), Apple Music (AAC), and Tidal (AAC and FLAC/ALAC) do not. 

Lesser used services like Amazon and Google Play do, but they are not major players in the streaming market. 

Also, Apple Car Play is becoming quite prevalent in cars manufactured world wide. And Apple has been using AAC from the very day the iTunes store went live. 

I rarely do downloads, even legit ones (unless it's something I desperately want).  I think I can count on one hand the number of albums I've bought as downloads on-line.

I'll buy vinyl if it's never been on CD, and I'm *really* interested.  But to release something as vinyl/download only is about a 98% chance way to guarantee I'll never hear it.

25 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I rarely do downloads, even legit ones (unless it's something I desperately want).  I think I can count on one hand the number of albums I've bought as downloads on-line.

I'll buy vinyl if it's never been on CD, and I'm *really* interested.  But to release something as vinyl/download only is about a 98% chance way to guarantee I'll never hear it.

Any particular reason why? What is it about downloads that you don’t like? 

Edited by Scott Dolan

what I strongly dislike about downloads is this need to organize and store files on a computer, make backups, whatever... streaming takes that task out of my hands, CDs and LPs can stay on a shelf for years... occasionally I rediscover the music that's on my harddrive, some real cool stuff in there, but that happens maybe once every two years... if I have to keep files in good order for work, I can do that, there are people whose jobs depend on software I've written and I won't let them down.. it's just not something I enjoy doing.

I’ve actually come to prefer streaming, myself. Though mostly because it’s far less expensive. 

But I do have to admit that I experienced none of the pains you described when using iTunes and the iTunes store. My burden ended at searching for the album I wanted, and clicking “buy”. Hell, even ripping CDs to my iTunes library was painless. 

It seems most of the vinyl only releases come with a download card - particularly if it is lossless, I am good with that.  Absent that, I suppose I would if I really wanted the title.

Occasionally you find something that is only available in a download.  In that case, it's a toss-up between buying the download or trying to find a nice used vinyl copy on ebay or discogs.

I typically use a streaming service if I a) am in the car, b) want to preview a potential purchase or c) am too lazy to dig out the CD if it isn't already in my iTunes library.

There is something about buying a physical product that I still like, although my kids think I am nuts.  Something about committing to the music.  If you throw down some cash, you have made an investment, physically and for me psychologically.  Like others mentioned, I also like the notes, the photos, etc.

Edited by Eric

That’s because their songs are streamed more. When CDs were the dominant medium, Pop stars also made more money than everyone else. 

I’ve never streamed a single Beyonce song, so she’s never made a penny off of me. And the artists I do listen to know that touring is what puts food on the table, not selling albums.