DownBeat Reader's Poll - Vote For Hank Mobley

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:47 AM, david weiss said:

While you were writing in so many, I hope you included Billy Harper, who is not listed in the Tenor Sax category.....

I wrote in Billy Harper, and was SHOCKED when I didn't see his name listed.  Honestly, I think he's just about THE best tenor-player working today.  Can't remember all the names that were listed, but when I probably didn't even recognize half the names -- but no Billy Harper?? -- what is this world coming to??!!!

I mean, I can at least (sorta) understand how Gary Thomas isn't listed -- since he barely records at all any more (not even hardly as a sideman -- what? -- maybe 5x in 20 years?).  And Gary hasn't had an album out under his own name/leadership since 1998.

But Billy, sheesh, he's an active part of an active band that plays his tunes -- and he's been on 10 albums in the last dozen years (including 2 under his own name, and 5 with The Cookers).

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/17/2018 at 3:33 PM, JSngry said:

Bring back swimsuit competitions, let’s get that logic restored, then we can lather up the dB polls.

Wait -- what?  Swimsuit competitions added to the jazz poll?  Herbie Mann and his Speedo heartily endorse your idea!!!:lol:

412zFjQBHXL._SX355_.jpg

R-468237-1442166678-9804.jpeg.jpg

Edited by duaneiac

14 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I wrote in Billy Harper, and was SHOCKED when I didn't see his name listed.  Honestly, I think he's just about THE best tenor-player working today.  Can't remember all the names that were listed, but when I probably didn't even recognize half the names -- but no Billy Harper?? -- what is this world coming to??!!!

I mean, I can at least (sorta) understand how Gary Thomas isn't listed -- since he barely records at all any more (not even hardly as a sideman -- what? -- maybe 5x in 20 years?).  And Gary hasn't had an album out under his own name/leadership since 1998.

But Billy, sheesh, he's an active part of an active band that plays his tunes -- and he's been on 10 albums in the last dozen years (including 2 under his own name, and 5 with The Cookers).

Clearly, the number of recordings means nothing to the poll creators. How else can you explain the absence of players like Billy and Eric Alexander, another player who has put out several records recently.

As I said earlier, DownBeat doesn't seem to favor the straight-ahead players these days.

13 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Wait -- what?  Swimsuit competitions added to the jazz poll?  Herbie Mann and his Speedo heartily endorse your idea!!!:lol:

412zFjQBHXL._SX355_.jpg

R-468237-1442166678-9804.jpeg.jpg

Damn, and I had really been successful getting THAT image from years ago out of my head....

gregmo

21 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Clearly, the number of recordings means nothing to the poll creators. How else can you explain the absence of players like Billy and Eric Alexander, another player who has put out several records recently.

As I said earlier, DownBeat doesn't seem to favor the straight-ahead players these days.

I'm definitely going to check out more of Alexander’s material. He really stood out on the Mabern album you suggested to me last weekend. Strong player, no question. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

I'm definitely going to check out more of Anderson's material. He really stood out on the Mabern album you suggested to me last weekend. Strong player, no question. 

I saw "Anderson", knew that it wasn't Fred who was playing on a Harold Mabern date, and began reaching for straws.

Eric Anderson doesn't make much sense either, but it's a start, if only as a finish.

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

I saw "Anderson", knew that it wasn't Fred who was playing on a Harold Mabern date, and began reaching for straws.

Eric Anderson doesn't make much sense either, but it's a start, if only as a finish.

Ah, didn’t notice my own typo. 

So maybe you DID have the right cat! 

Now corrected. Eric Alexander. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

On 7/18/2018 at 0:10 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

I found a good price on e-bay - seemed cheaper than direct and it arrived within 10 days. I’ve only listened to the duo with EP.

the trio CD with Kaucic called Disorder at the Border with a bassist & saxophonist I’d never heard are what got me excited. It’s an Ornette that is honestly the most striking take I’ve heard of Ornette’s music outside of a live performance of a quartet that included Darius Jones & Nate Wooley. The only thing better than that was a take on Skies of America that included that quartet plus a quartet that included Josh Sinton on baritone saxophone. You wouldn’t have believed it unless you were there how draw-dropping it was. In a little room in Brooklyn a couple of years back.

I did feel bad for the other trumpeter who had to stand next to Nate Wooley. No matter how well he played (and he was a fine player), next to Wooley, he sounded like an amateur.

Steve, I’m listening to Disorder At The Border now. I think Giovanni Maier might become my new favorite bassist! This cat is absolutely fucking amazing! 

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

Steve, I’m listening to Disorder At The Border now. I think Giovanni Maier might become my new favorite bassist! This cat is absolutely fucking amazing! 

Plus the set gets better as it goes on. The last half of the recording gets to some pretty deep places. Glad that Not Two is releasing recordings of these veteran improvisors from central Europe that are not very well known. 

4 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

I’m really not a fan of ballot stuffing. I’d prefer he were voted in by his fans, and not people completely unfamiliar with him. 

Normally, I'd agree with you, but as evidenced by several contributors to this thread 1) most people can't believe he is not already in, so who cares how it happens and 2) 28,000 people vote every year and Hank Mobley only gets a few hundred. Without a real effort to get extra votes, he'll never get in. 

BTW, I don't think the Veteran's Committee considers anyone who got a certain number of votes so he either gets the votes and gets in or next year we start a thread "2019 Downbeat Hall Of Fame - Don't Vote For Hank Mobley". 😄😄😄😄😄

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan