DownBeat Reader's Poll - Vote For Hank Mobley

The latest DownBeat reader's poll is up at their website: http://downbeat.com/?ACT=30&ad_id=428

If I could ask my fellow organissimo denizens for some help, could you please go there and simply click on Hank Mobley for the Hall Of Fame?

You don't need to vote for any of the other categories, just Hall Of Fame. Just click through the rest of them and submit the survey.

I'd really love to see Mobley get in. I believe that he is overdue.

Image result for vote for hank

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I´m sure that most of my favourite musicians  - and Mobley sure is one of them -   have died  (most of them still lived when I got my DB magazines monthly) ,  I think those halls of fame made sens when the musician who was voted was still alive and active. Like when Dexter Gordon made it into the hall of fame right after he had returned to the states. I remember that. Dexter was on the cover photo.

Don't know if I've told this story before, but when I was Down Beat's assistant editor in 1969 and Dan Morgenstern was the editor, with both of us having votes in the DB Hall of Fame critics poll version, we discovered that Pee Wee Russell, who had died that year, and Jack Teagarden, who had died in 1964, were just a few votes apart when all votes except our own (yet to be cast) votes had been tallied. At that time, maybe still today, each critic had three votes in each category of the poll, and  the votes were weighted  in some way, depending on whether one had assigned a musician to first, second, or third place on one's ballot. Don't know which of us came up with the idea, but it occurred to one of us that because the vote totals for Pee Wee and Teagarden were so close, because neither man might not make to the top for a good while (Pee Wee 's vote total having risen a good deal that year in large part because of his recent death), and finally because Pee Wee and Teagarden were such a natural pair to enter the HOP together, we decided to adjust our votes so that  Pee Wee and Teagarden would tie for the HOF that year and enter together.

5 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

...... we decided to adjust our votes so that  Pee Wee and Teagarden would tie for the HOF that year and enter together.

:tup!

There are so many jazz greats whose music I love  on the list it is hard to make a choice for the HOF ...

Edited by mikeweil

11 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I posted this mainly for those who would normally not participate in this poll at all. I hope you can just click through a few screens to help get Hank Mobley into the Hall. I am not trying to twist any arms here. Feel free to vote for whoever you want. But if you weren't planning to vote at all...

61n9sT-lpcL._SX342_.jpg

Meddling in an election? Are you sure your last name isn't Brezhnevhan?  :lol: