August 24 Japanese UA-era Blue Note Reissues

felser

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/release/music/jazz-fusion/month/2018/08?periods=2

Some of the best of the UA-era Blue Notes are being reissued in Japan on August 24.  Link to CDJapan listing above.  Nothing on it that I want and don't already have, but it also raises hope for additional batches - still looking for Larry Young - Heaven on Earth and a couple of the very late Elvin Jones Blue Notes on CD (as well as that mysterious Jackie McLean High Frequency session)..

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

And another change to get Bobby Hutcherson @ Montreux. Steaming hot, with Woody Shaw.

You know, I'm not sure I ever realized before that this was originally an LP release. I got the CD some years ago and always assumed it was a radio or sound board recording of a concert never previously issued. The liners on the CD surely explain the provenance, but I must have missed it. All that aside, it's great, though haven't heard it in a while. Is this concert where they also turn the form around on "The Moontrane"?

Did that ‘Live at Montreux’ come out as an LP back in 73/74? If so, I never saw it - always assumed that it came out first time as a ‘Collectors’ Choice’ era CD back in the early 1990s (the ones with the white banding on the CD case). Mine is of that era.

Edited by sidewinder

10 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Did that ‘Live at Montreux’ come out as an LP back in 73/74? If so, I never saw it - always assumed that it came out first time as a ‘Collectors’ Choice’ era CD back in the early 1990s (the ones with the white banding on the CD case). Mine is of that era.

Seems to be this, which was new to me. https://www.discogs.com/Bobby-Hutcherson-Live-At-Montreux/release/1059364

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

And another change to get Bobby Hutcherson @ Montreux. Steaming hot, with Woody Shaw.

Yeah, THAT!

The McCoy with the Nat Geo cover is darn good too. :tup ... and the Horace with paired with the Mike & Randy Brecker or vibist David Friedman. ...and the Elvin (like soulpope said).

...Lots of good stuff there.

Edited by HutchFan

55 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

If what I've read is true, many believe that Hutcherson's "Live At Montreux" was released directly into the cutout bins.

That's where I first saw it back in the 70's.   And I was a regular customer at Jerry Gordon's Third Street Jazz in Philly back then.   And he/they were totally on top of Blue Note releases - I would have seen it and jumped on it, as I was (am) huge on both Shaw and Hutcherson.  As mentioned, it's a great album.  And the others from Montreux (Bobbi Humphrey, Marlena Shaw, Ronnie Foster) are really good, much better than I ever would have expected.

54 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yeah, THAT!

The McCoy with the Nat Geo cover is darn good too. :tup ... and the Horace with paired with the Mike & Randy Brecker or vibist David Friedman. ...and the Elvin (like soulpope said).

...Lots of good stuff there.

Agreed, especially the McCoy, which is one of my favorite albums by him (along with 'Sahara'), and therefore one of my favorite albums period.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

So is mine. 1994.

I am by no means an Idris Hotep Galeta expert - in fact I can remember no other album he plays on at the moment - but I can't help feeling he is not always an asset on the Hutcherson Montreux album. His comping is sometimes a bit mechanical (repeating the same voicings and accents chorus after chorus) and he also gets lost in the form of "Moontrane" and skips the B part for most of the tune. His soloing is idiosyncratic, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Woody's playing is absolutely terrific, though.

10 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

If what I've read is true, many believe that Hutcherson's "Live At Montreux" was released directly into the cutout bins.

The entire "Live At Montreux" series was scrapped and sold to the "cut out folks". I remember finding the entire series for sale at scrap prices on the second floor of Rose Records, 214 S. Wabash, Chicago, IL.

22 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Guess I was lucky to pick up this CD before it was scrapped and no longer available.51Ro4POq5UL._SY355_.jpg

I've got one too -- probably found a used copy at some point (don't remember buying it new).  I've seen copies in the bins before -- but I guess it's been well over 10 years since I saw one (other than mine), come to think of it.

18 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I am by no means an Idris Hotep Galeta expert - in fact I can remember no other album he plays on at the moment - but I can't help feeling he is not always an asset on the Hutcherson Montreux album. His comping is sometimes a bit mechanical (repeating the same voicings and accents chorus after chorus) and he also gets lost in the form of "Moontrane" and skips the B part for most of the tune. His soloing is idiosyncratic, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Woody's playing is absolutely terrific, though.

Pianist aka Hotep Cecil Bernard.  Played with Hugh Masekela before and after this date, played on the excellent Hadley Caliman albums on Catalyst, played on John Handy's 'Hard Work' (ugh), studio work on the Byrds'  great 'Younger Than Yesterday' album, played on the excellent Jackie McLean 'Jack Mac Attack Live' CD.  That may have been a hastily assembled group for Montreux, or he may have been subbing.  I'm sure others here will know a lot more about both the pianist and about who Hutcherson's working groups were in that era.

Ah, so it IS the same guy. I was about to reference the Hadley Caliman dates but saw "Cecil Bernard" and figured I had just had another case of conflationary flatulence.

The big Hutch pianist for me in the early 70s was Bayete/Todd Cochran, not so much as a player, but as a composer. Whatever he was into then, it seems that he got out of, but there are some fascinating compositions that bear his name from the time.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ah, so it IS the same guy. I was about to reference the Hadley Caliman dates but saw "Cecil Bernard" and figured I had just had another case of conflationary flatulence.

The big Hutch pianist for me in the early 70s was Bayete/Todd Cochran, not so much as a player, but as a composer. Whatever he was into then, it seems that he got out of, but there are some fascinating compositions that bear his name from the time.

Yep, Cochran's two Prestige albums are really good.  And he was very young.  Later formed Automatic Man with past- and future- Santana drummer Michael Shrieve.  They put out two dog albums of some funk/jazz/rock hybrid later in the 70's.  The other young jazz pianist who put out two contemporaneous Prestige albums with excellent writing/arranging (and Hadley Caliman and Joe Henderson on the first one) was Patrice Rushen, who also got into something else very different, but at least she was really good at the something else.

On 7/20/2018 at 0:40 PM, felser said:

Pianist aka Hotep Cecil Bernard.  Played with Hugh Masekela before and after this date, played on the excellent Hadley Caliman albums on Catalyst, played on John Handy's 'Hard Work' (ugh), studio work on the Byrds'  great 'Younger Than Yesterday' album, played on the excellent Jackie McLean 'Jack Mac Attack Live' CD.  That may have been a hastily assembled group for Montreux, or he may have been subbing.  I'm sure others here will know a lot more about both the pianist and about who Hutcherson's working groups were in that era.

I once asked Steve Davis (a really nice guy, by the way) about Hotep Idris Galeta and he enthusiastically sat down at the piano and played a tune or two of Galeta's.  I like Galeta's playing on McLean's live album and Dynasty.  

Has anyone ever heard Saudade, the Moacir Santos album from this upcoming reissue series?  I have been a sucker for his song 'Kathy' since hearing the Horace Silver version on In Pursuit of the 27th Man.