After Hours with Sarah Vaughan Columbia CL 660

Teasing the Korean

I am a fan of this album.  I remember finding a vinyl copy at a library sale early in my jazz explorations and it indeed making for great 'after hours' listening.  I later found it on CD, which doesn't have any personnel listed.  However, I found the recording dates of:  A1, A5: June 1, 1951 /A2: March 19, 1952 / A3: July 7, 1949 A4, A6: December 21, 1949 / B1: January 10, 1949/ B2: July 27, 1950 B3: September 28, 1949 /B4: September 5, 1950/ B5: April 4, 1951 B6: July 7, 1949 from this review, which you can look up in the Sarah Vaughan discography.

Compilation, almost certain.

The Candorrillan label Frisked Founds says thusly:

After Hours With Sarah Vaughan captures the sumptuous 1949-1952 sessions. Complemented by orchestra leaders including Percy Faith and Mitch Miller, Vaughan delivers top notch interpretations of Just Friends, I Cried For You, Street Of Dreams, Black Coffee and other standards. Four bonus tracks not found on the original album are included here.

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/sarah-vaughan-albums/6194-the-complete-columbia-albums-collection-4-cd-box-set.html

Flickkerpedia gives the LP release date as 1955, so hey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_Hours_(1955_Sarah_Vaughan_album)

3 minutes ago, Justin V said:

Add Joe Lippman, Norman Leyden and Paul Weston to that group of arrangers as well.

Per that discography, the FS issue is woefully short, focusing as it does on LPs. Seems like there's a lot more than is on there, has any body released it all, legit or otherwise?

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

After Hours With Sarah Vaughan captures the sumptuous 1949-1952 sessions. Complemented by orchestra leaders including Percy Faith and Mitch Miller, Vaughan delivers top notch interpretations of Just Friends, I Cried For You, Street Of Dreams, Black Coffee and other standards. Four bonus tracks not found on the original album are included here.

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/sarah-vaughan-albums/6194-the-complete-columbia-albums-collection-4-cd-box-set.html

Add Joe Lippman, Norman Leyden and Paul Weston to that group of arrangers as well.

Per that discography, the FS issue is woefully short, focusing as it does on LPs. Seems like there's a lot more than is on there, has any body released it all, legit or otherwise?

The blurb for this release says Vaughan recorded 60 songs for Columbia.  This release has 28 (at a pretty good price):

51X7Uy6EszL.jpg

The first two discs of this box set have 37; alas, it is now OOP and pretty expensive:

811u2U0I5BL._SL1500_.jpg

3 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I just realized I have that double album referenced above, among several hundred LPs I haven't gotten around to playing yet.  I will compare tracks and see what I can dig up on the After Hours tunes. 

Time for you to spend some money on real discography.

The internet is not free, it costs your monthly access fee. And the info you may find will not always be correct. Nor will be the nice guys on here be without fault, me included. 

Discographical information always has at least minor incorrect data, even on a reliable source like jazzdiscography.com. Even on the back covers of LPs or CD booklets which make a good impression. 

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

The internet is not free, it costs your monthly access fee. And the info you may find will not always be correct. Nor will be the nice guys on here be without fault, me included. 

Discographical information always has at least minor incorrect data, even on a reliable source like jazzdiscography.com. Even on the back covers of LPs or CD booklets which make a good impression. 

I completely agree with you.  My point is that if we can get all of our information from books, why even have the forum?  Let's just shut it down.  Mjzee correctly directed me to an album that I already have that I had forgotten about.  Much of the discographical information is there.  That was a helpful response.

I participate in a number of forums, and I'm always happy to answer someone's question if I know the answer.  I don't dismissively tell a member to buy a book, nor refer to a question as "needy."

Edited by Teasing the Korean

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

So, there's a total of 60 cuts, right? Is there any place that has all of them?

The Amazon blurb for the double album listed above references 60 tracks.  They add, "Weaker pop material is gone, and what remains is largely superior renderings of ballads with Vaughan's rich voice tastefully enhanced by good orchestration."  

I'm not finding a collection with all 60 tracks. I guess this means that the Jazz Police decided which tracks we needed, and as we know, the Jazz Police are not prone to error. 

I’ve been lately luxuriating in Fresh Sounds’s mammoth 8-disc release of Jeri Southern’s recorded works.  They’ve collected everything, including many, many singles never released on albums or CDs.  It’s obviously a work of love, and bravo to FS.  Maybe someday they’ll do something similar for Vaughan’s Columbia output, maybe even integrating them with her other early recordings.

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The Amazon blurb for the double album listed above references 60 tracks.  They add, "Weaker pop material is gone, and what remains is largely superior renderings of ballads with Vaughan's rich voice tastefully enhanced by good orchestration."  

I'm not finding a collection with all 60 tracks. I guess this means that the Jazz Police decided which tracks we needed, and as we know, the Jazz Police are not prone to error. 

For an archival-quality collection-document of a major artist's work, I'd like to hear even the "weaker pop material", because "weaker pop material" has been the source of some of the most delightful performances imaginable. And if/when that's not the case, oh well. I'm an adult, I don't let that ruin my day.

The notion that "they" need to protect me from inferior music mixing with excellent is almost as degrading as is the assumption that I'll thank them for doing it, that I want to be "protected".

To be clear, the Sarah Vaughan Columbia Years 1949-1953 release was originally a 2-LP set, released by Columbia in 1988.  "Complete" collections were still very rare then, so Columbia cherry-picked what they deemed to be the best tracks for this set.  A "complete" release would have required 4 or 5 LPs, which would have been very unusual.  So it was a product of its times, and well-needed too.

As a comparison, Columbia released "Duke Ellington Presents Ivie Anderson" in 1973.  Also a 2-LP set, it had 32 tracks, and was well-received, but never made the claim that it was complete.

51-rQ9acQgL.jpg

24 minutes ago, mjzee said:

To be clear, the Sarah Vaughan Columbia Years 1949-1953 release was originally a 2-LP set, released by Columbia in 1988.  "Complete" collections were still very rare then, so Columbia cherry-picked what they deemed to be the best tracks for this set.  A "complete" release would have required 4 or 5 LPs, which would have been very unusual.  So it was a product of its times, and well-needed too.

As a comparison, Columbia released "Duke Ellington Presents Ivie Anderson" in 1973.  Also a 2-LP set, it had 32 tracks, and was well-received, but never made the claim that it was complete.

But in the same vein, don't forget the  80s vinyl series released by Mercury (Japanese pressings) under the title "The Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury" which ran to NUMEROUS LPS, and then there also was the "Complete Dnah Washington" LP  series on the (not quite that "official") Official label from Denmark in the late 80s.

I remember seeing even the Japanese LP series in the local record stores at the time (but never picked it up). Those were the days when any decent reord shop had a Japanese import section (and in the 80s the prices weren't even that far beyond all the others yet).

As for Columbia and "complete" collections, if you go beyond the singers, then they look like trailblazers to me (cf. the Duke Ellington twofer series released from the mid-70s - and there were others),

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

For an archival-quality collection-document of a major artist's work, I'd like to hear even the "weaker pop material", because "weaker pop material" has been the source of some of the most delightful performances imaginable. And if/when that's not the case, oh well. I'm an adult, I don't let that ruin my day.

The notion that "they" need to protect me from inferior music mixing with excellent is almost as degrading as is the assumption that I'll thank them for doing it, that I want to be "protected".

Yes, that was my point.  Too often the Jazz Police have very conservative tastes, and they lack the language to describe things that fall outside of their quaint notion of what "jazz" is supposed to be. 

On July 22, 2018 at 6:43 PM, JSngry said:

I just compared my copy of After Hours with the Columbia Years double LP.  All of the tracks from the former appear on the latter.  1949 to 1952 seem to be the correct years, according to the liner notes.   (The 1953 tracks on the double album are not on After Hours.)

In addition to Joe Lippman, Norman Leyden, and Paul Weston, the arrangers include Hugo Winterhalter, Tadd Dameron, and Percy Faith.