After Hours with Sarah Vaughan Columbia CL 660

Teasing the Korean

On 24.7.2018 at 1:46 PM, JSngry said:

So, there's a total of 60 cuts, right? Is there any place that has all of them?

I count 72 issued tracks on various Columbia issues in the Lord Disco, and half a dozen that remain unissued despite quite a number resurrected from the vaults for CD issues.

According to Lord some of those 72 tracks are not in the "Complete" box, not to speak of the still unissued .... :rolleyes: .... another missed opportunity. The major companies are so fixated on the "original album" ....

You have to get the Chronological Classics CD below for the 1949 Columbia tracks not in the box. 

51xSqiju4rL.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

The one above was the last, there are three more covering the years from 1944, i.e. her first dates for Continental and all the Musicraft sides, to the early Columbias:

41uRi6D05cL.jpg

51SpaFee2HL.jpg

51yuWJKncdL.jpg

There are numerous CDs covering that part of her recording career, but dont ask me which one is the most "complete", by whatever standard. It's hard to find tracklists for all - like the one on Le Chant du Monde:

41NaedbLWDL.jpg

How's that for covers, TTK?

On 7/25/2018 at 9:30 PM, JSngry said:

As am I, and blessedly so!

My mother and aunt visited the other day.  They arrived just as I was taking the baby to her room to change what was a demolished diaper.  I offered, but both turned down the opportunity to change her.  If being a grandparent means avoiding diaper duty, that's not a bad gig.  :D

8 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Well, at least she doesn't look like she was recording in 1910!

Talking about cover pics and what the artist looks like, are they all actually real or have some been photoshopped in recent times, I wonder?

If you look at contemporary photographs you will see that earlier ones show she had a discernible gap between her two front teeth (a detail that sometimes helps to date the photographs)  - that no longer appeared in later photographs. Probably she had had dental surgery performed on her teeth at some time but other details of the pic on the 1944-1946 Classics CD, for example, do look like this one comes from the "gap" period. Strange ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 5 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:44 AM, mikeweil said:

I count 72 issued tracks on various Columbia issues in the Lord Disco, and half a dozen that remain unissued despite quite a number resurrected from the vaults for CD issues.

According to Lord some of those 72 tracks are not in the "Complete" box, not to speak of the still unissued .... :rolleyes: .... another missed opportunity. The major companies are so fixated on the "original album" ....

35 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Here's the back of the box track listing for that United Archives release:

51922c1Ds7L.jpg

62 Columbia tracks + 10 add'l.

So what are the missing 10 Columbia tracks? Are they studio (in which case this claim is false) or are they live (in which cse that's something I've never heard about), or is there maths off somewhere?

Take a look at the Tom Lord Discography. 8 studio tracks she recorded for Columbia remain unissued - they all were re-recorded at later sessions. Looks like the United Archives box is copied off the Columbia CD releases. Shame on them.

I didn't see the bonus material was from other labels. The ten tracks missing are studio tracks issued on 78's but never on "albums". Some examples:

R-5713214-1400643924-6862.jpeg.jpgR-10794884-1504443661-6753.jpeg.jpg

If you wanna hear them, you need the Classics CDs. They have them all, except for the alternates from the sessions with Miles.

Edited by mikeweil

• 4 weeks later...
On 25.7.2018 at 9:01 PM, mikeweil said:

There are numerous CDs covering that part of her recording career, but dont ask me which one is the most "complete", by whatever standard. It's hard to find tracklists for all - like the one on Le Chant du Monde:

41NaedbLWDL.jpg

That one has the final Musicraft sides (all others are on the first volume, 1944-1947, and those included two outtakes, so we get 41, not 39 tracks on a Complete Musicraft set coming from Japan) and the first 24 Columbia sides, up to the 18 May 1950 session (that and the May 19 session are covered extensively - an alternate to each but one of the 8 master takes - on the reissue of "Sarah Vaughan in Hi-Fi", of the earlier 20 sides though you'll only find one there, again with an alternate take added, "The Nearness of You" from 21 December 1949).

That "Sarah Vaughan in Hi-Fi" reissue is weird btw, it omits details for a few early 50s tracks, of which it offers 4 - but gives details only for "It's All in the Mind" (30 Dec 1952 w/unknown studio orchestra and probable line-up). "Pinky" (19 September 1951 with Percy Faith Orchestra), "Spring Will Be a Little Late This Year" and "Ooh, What'cha Doin' to Me" (both 5 January 1953) went forgotten when the CD was produced, although all of those, together with "Mind" and the eight masters from May 1949 were part of the original LP release

I guess I've got enough Vaughan, but yeah, there's that gap from the early fifties and it would certainly be nice to get a complete edition covering that period. Would have been nice to see more of those Chant du Monde sets, as they're really well-done, booklets with plenty of photos, labels, ads, magazine covers, and all the info you need on the music included. I have several more of those sets (one each by Betty Carter, Nancy Wilson, Betty Roché, Ernestine Anderson, Etta Jones, Carmen McRae, and Dakota Staton)

Just to add to the craziness, the "Young Sassy" Proper Box appears to cover her Columbia material through 1950, but nothing more. It repeats most of the tracks from the Legacy "In Hi-Fi" release, but adds around 24 or so more. Chronological Classics releases stop in 1952, but, of course, Vaughan continued recording for Columbia through 1953. It occurs to me that the Columbias would have made a nice Mosaic Select box, though they might not have been able to fit all the alternates on one. Here's the last Classics cd:

vaughan.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 17.11.2019 at 11:54 PM, mjzee said:

Release date January 17, from Acrobat; no track list provided:

81FDocy3YgL._SL1500_.jpg

Tracklist here on Acrobat Music's website:

http://acrobatmusic.net/?cid=5&AlbumId=1308

The Tom Lord Discography tells me that all issued Columbia sides are in this set, except the alternates issued later on some CDs posted above.

..... and there's a Volume 1 with Musicradft sides: http://acrobatmusic.net/?cid=5&AlbumId=1201

Edited by mikeweil

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

The Tom Lord Discography tells me that all issued Columbia sides are in this set, except the alternates issued later on some CDs posted above.

..... and there's a Volume 1 with Musicradft sides: http://acrobatmusic.net/?cid=5&AlbumId=1201

There are some complaints on Amazon about the audio quality of volume 2.

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Were none of the Freddie Webster tracks released as singles?