paul secor

Arthur N. Rupe Foudation

3 posts in this topic

A friend sent me this link and I was impressed that someone who made money in the music business (and elsewhere) was using some of his fortune to promote good works. http://www.rupefoundation.org/

I also didn't know until today that Art Rupe is still with us at 100 years of age.

Edited by paul secor

In Anatomy of a Song: The Oral History of 45 Iconic Hits That Changed Rock, R&B and Pop by Marc Myers, Lloyd Price marvels at how Rupe let him keep sole writing credit for "Lawdy Miss Clawdy":

Price: "Even more remarkable was what Art did for me. If you wrote a blues or R&B song back then you were lucky if you got credit for it. If you did you often shared the credit with others who had nothing to do with it. They were on there just to feed off the royalties. Art was different. Her listed me as the sole writer, which is amazing when i think back on it. He had published the song so he kept the publishing rights but everything else on the writing side was mine." 

Rupe: "It never occurred to me to put my name on Lloyd's composition or that of any other song writer. To do so would have been theft. My contribution was my role as record producer, publisher, and manager of the creative process, that's it."

It doesn't take much to be a saint in the record business. LOL

WOW. It's in Santa Barbara, where I live,  and I've never heard of it.