Binker and Moses

Scott Dolan

Has anyone else heard these young and incredibly talented cats? 

This morning a buddy of mine turned me onto their recent live release, “Alive In The East?” A truly astonishing effort! 

Checking out their studio albums now. Journey To The Mountain Of Forever is just the duo, and while more laid back (naturally) than the live set, which had other musicians join them, is still top shelf material. 

Highly recommended. These cats smoke! 

Yes she was - performed in the second half of the show along with Evan Parker and Byron Wallen, just as on the album. She’s obviously influenced by Alice Coltrane but I felt that she also drew quite a bit on the Welsh harp folk-based tradition.

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, I’m currenty on the “second disc” of the album, that’s why that question popped into my head. 

I hope these musicians do some more collaborations. They work incredibly well together. 

I’m glad to have been turned onto them. Jazz/Improv is in excellent hands with these two. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

There’s some good stuff coming out of the UK at the moment with these guys prominent but also the likes of Shabaka Hutchings, Yazz Ahmed, Empirical, board member Alex Hawkins and Phronesis, which I’ve seen and can vouch for. It all bodes well for the future.

Edited by sidewinder

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I’ve heard them and met them !

Saw ‘Journey To The Mountain Of Forever’ in performance. Sterling stuff.

I saw them live too in Southampton a really great night the playing was so good made even more special by finally getting to see (and meet) Evan Parker. 

Your right about Shabaka Hutchins too Sidewinder I’d love to  see Sons of Kemet     

1 hour ago, Gary said:

Your right about Shabaka Hutchins too Sidewinder I’d love to  see Sons of Kemet     

Saw ‘Sons of Kemet’ several years ago at Swanage. Low key gig in the Methodist Church but they virtually blew the pulpit away with the 2-drums lineup !

1 hour ago, Gary said:

I saw them live too in Southampton a really great night the playing was so good made even more special by finally getting to see (and meet) Evan Parker. 

Where were you sitting? :)

I bought the 2LP from the guys after the gig and got to chat and they signed it for me. Friendly, enthusiastic guys.

Evan P. was great that night (but isn’t he always..)

Edited by sidewinder

Checked out the "Journey..." album out on Spotify. Average tenor player (with pretty sound), quite square, not too adventurous, and lick-heavy drummer, who sounds like Andrew Cyrille quite a bit. Very predictable. This probably would have sounded conservative already in '66.    

18 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Journey To The Mountain Of Forever is just the duo

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, try listening through this album as the second half is more than just the duo. They're joined by Evan Parker, Byron Wallen, Tori Handsley, Sarathy Korwar (check out his debut for an astonishing album) ao. Basically the second LP of 'Journey...' is the band that's caught live on the latest LP to such great effect. 

17 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Yeah, I’m currenty on the “second disc” of the album, that’s why that question popped into my head. 

Ok, just now read your next post where you were onto the second half so will presumably have realised the added delights. Their first album 'Dem Ones', on Gearbox, was just the duo

19 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Checked out the "Journey..." album out on Spotify. Average tenor player (with pretty sound), quite square, not too adventurous, and lick-heavy drummer, who sounds like Andrew Cyrille quite a bit. Very predictable. This probably would have sounded conservative already in '66.    

Whilst I wouldn't be quite so negative I do agree with some of your analysis here. I think Boyd Moses drums with the knowledge of rhythms and drumming that have happened since '66. I'm also not too sure that many people have made many claims of originality upthread. 

There's more to 'Journey...' if you listen through, see comment above.

Edited by mjazzg

18 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

How silly. 

Especially since you didn’t listen to the entire album. 

mjazzg, yeah when I posted that comment I was still on the “first disc” so I didn’t realize the augmentation on the second. :) 

14 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

For those of you enjoying Binker & Moses and especially Sons of Kemet, I'd suggest a listen trying Theon Cross's album 'Aspirations'

https://theoncross.bandcamp.com/releases

Checking it out now. 

It’s funny. I started listening and immediately thought, “eh, this really isn’t my thing”. But I kept listening and finally realized that while far more straight ahead than I tend to prefer, it’s actually a damn fun listen. :) 

Glad you enjoyed it.

I don't find many of this new wave of Brit Jazz very out there, nearly all of it is very defined by rhythmic concept (not a bad thing at all) often with the drummers being the most impressive musicians in these bands, to my ears at least. 

Whilst I enjoy Binker Golding's and Shabaka Hutching's playing I hear two players still forming their individual voices -Hutchings is certainly getting closer these days.

It's interesting that Binker & Moses need to add that little known up and comer and youngster Evan P ( I absolutely love the fact that he's got involved) to lend their music any real element of harmonic or rhythmic freedom. None of which detracts in the slightest from them being "a damn fun listen"  like Theon. 

Edited by mjazzg