Tomasz Stanko R.I.P.

Scott Dolan

24 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

How is his Komeda ECM album?  I've never heard it, but have long wanted to pick it up.

I think it's very fine. I saw them play it live. It's respectful of Komeda's music but allows the band to express themselves without being constrained by it. Those tunes can't be suppressed and they shine. It's an ECM album, which is a good thing in my book, and has all the productions values that come with that.

I can't see a fan of Komeda's music not appreciating it.

I may play it next as a tribute

48 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I think it's very fine. I saw them play it live. It's respectful of Komeda's music but allows the band to express themselves without being constrained by it. Those tunes can't be suppressed and they shine. It's an ECM album, which is a good thing in my book, and has all the productions values that come with that.

I can't see a fan of Komeda's music not appreciating it.

I may play it next as a tribute

I like it a lot.  The first track (“Svantetic”) is harder hitting than what I would expect on an ECM Stanko album.

RIP.

Very sad news indeed. A musician of exceptional talent. He'll be sadly missed. I feel lucky to have seen him a couple of times and have thoroughly enjoyed his records for many years. A considerable loss especially given his comparatively young age. 

He was a great musician ... love his existentialist trumpet stylings. Played "Leosia" last night in memory.

Was lucky enough to catch the polish quartet in concert twice, and then saw him perform with Globe Unity at Jazzfest Berlin in November 2016 - he looked quite frail at that time, actually, and I was worrying ... but it seems he was touring again this spring?

Not sure what the one favourite album would be, need I pick one. "Litania", his Komeda album discussed above, was my point of entrance when it came out (1997 I think), later on I started exploring his early stuff, too. There is "Astigmatic" of course, then the two first ones of his own albums on Muza, and there is the glorious Calig albu, too (not on CD as far as I know). Not too fond of the electric stuff that followed, but the long run on ECM is indeed pretty awesome, right down to "December Avenue", his last release.