Essential Solos

paul secor

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sticking to saxophone for now:

Michael Moore’s alto solo from “Toombow” from Gerry Hemingway’s “The Marmalade King” on Hat ART records 

Fred Anderson’s tenor solo from Disc 2 of “2 Days in April” on Eremite Records listen to the whole 2 CD set and if you don’t hear it you didn’t listen (recorded live 4/1 & 4/2/99) with Kidd Jordan, William Parker & Hamid Drake 

Jemeel Moondoc’s alto solo on “Mota” from Denis Charles’ “Captain of the Deep” - also on Eremite records

David S Ware’s tenor solo on “Aquarian Sound” from Live in the World on AUM Fidelity. With his quartet with Matthew Shipp, William Parker & Susie Ibarra. Records in 1998, I think. Maybe 11 or 12 minutes or more and gets to places not possible.

Paul Dunmall’s tenor solo on the opening title track of “Birdman” by Mujician on Cunieform Records. With Keith Tippett, Paul Rogers & Tony Levin. Recorded 1994 or so. Long piece but listen closely 10 through maybe 18 minutes in. Absolutely burning all-time tenor saxophone playing

Tony Malaby’s tenor solo on the last track “Many Knows” from the Open Loose recording “Atomic Clock” - recorded 2006. Open Loose is Mark Helias, Malaby & Tom Rainey.

Steve Potts’ alto on Steve Lacy’s “Wickets” from Morning Joy from 1986 - on Hat ART records

Joe Maneri’s very short alto solo called “Joe’s Alto” from “Coming Down the Mountain” on hatology - recorded in 1993. As one person noted that in under 2:00, Joe Maneri played more saxophone than some played in a lifetime. I certainly agree.

Get Ready to Receive Yourself 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

6 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

BTW, how many know that the Bach in "Bud Plays Bach" is not J.S. Bach but a C.P.E. Bach piece?

I didn’t know that, plus I got the title wrong. It’s Bud on Bach. 

Larry, do you have more information on the song?

3 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Shocked you don’t have “Coming Down the Mountain”

do you have “Dahabenzapple”???

I'm sorry Steve but I don't. I know your love of all things Maneri but my investigation of his music twenty odd years ago didn't go far. I have 3 Men Walking and that's it. Also now realised I have the Ware in your list. I think the Hats are on Spotify so I'll go again with more mature ears

40 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm sorry Steve but I don't. I know your love of all things Maneri but my investigation of his music twenty odd years ago didn't go far. I have 3 Men Walking and that's it. Also now realised I have the Ware in your list. I think the Hats are on Spotify so I'll go again with more mature ears

As I know a bit of what you love in music, giving up after Three Men Walking might be doing yourself a great disservice. Dahabenzapple is calling your name. Plus there are so many great off the beaten path recordings of Mat with others over the past years since Joe passed (or before) that are among the finest that modern improvised music has to offer. 51 Sorrows with Ed Schuller & Randy Peterson on Leo Records is a great one. Might be as old as 2002 or so. 

The one recording of Mat with Randy is stunning / called Light Trigger and it’s easily available I think. Fierce and if you call anything either of them play solos, they are all essential. Certainly Mat has improvised some incredibly creative tension and release passages. To my ears and experience of seeing live music, he’s left me speechless over the years more than anyone else. 

On 7/30/2018 at 2:11 PM, Brad said:

I didn’t know that, plus I got the title wrong. It’s Bud on Bach. 

Larry, do you have more information on the song?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfeggietto

It's undoubtedly a piece Bud played as a young piano student, like (conservatively) many hundreds of thousands of other young piano students down through the years.

Wilbur Ware straight out of the gate (and then Johnny Griffin) on "Woody n' You":

Some favorites:

John Coltrane, "Blue in Green"

Wayne Shorter, "Message from the Nile" (McCoy Tyner's EXTENSIONS) - probably my favorite solo on soprano

Wayne Shorter, "Directions" (2nd set March 7 1970, released on Miles Davis's IT'S ABOUT THAT TIME)

Wayne Shorter in the first few minutes of Weather Report's LIVE IN TOKYO

Charlie Parker, "Ko Ko"

Ben Webster, "Cottontail"

Ben Webster, "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning"

Charles Lloyd, "Durga Durga"

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, Larry Kart said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfeggietto

It's undoubtedly a piece Bud played as a young piano student, like (conservatively) many hundreds of thousands of other young piano students down through the years.

Wilbur Ware straight out of the gate (and then Johnny Griffin) on "Woody n' You":

Classic W.W. & Griff. There are some records that Wilbur Ware plays on where I find myself locked in on what he's playing, even when he's not soloing.