BFT 173 access and discussion

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

Is J.G. Watson well known? Maybe not like N.K. Cole, but within certain communities, his legacy is still alive a lot more more than many of his generation(s)

Oh, I assumed Johnny Guitar was a C&W singer. Never thought of Watson. Yes, he IS well known :)

MG

8 hours ago, Milestones said:

I'll go with a wild guess and say Jimmy Raney on #3.  

Nope. I'm not at all familiar with Raney's playing - it's likely I've NEVER heard him - so I don't know if that's a good guess or not.

MG

Track #10 is interesting as the alto saxophonist plays a phrase that Johnny Hodges often played in his solos. This is not Johnny Hodges though. There is not the extra level of bluesiness and not the broad tone.

Track #12 is great. The tenor saxophonist plays with pure soulful power. I would buy this in a second, once I know what it is.

Track #14 is also great. It has such energy, and all of the soloists play with such feeling and power. I would also like to buy this one!

4 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Track #10 is interesting as the alto saxophonist plays a phrase that Johnny Hodges often played in his solos. This is not Johnny Hodges though. There is not the extra level of bluesiness and not the broad tone.

Track #12 is great. The tenor saxophonist plays with pure soulful power. I would buy this in a second, once I know what it is.

Track #14 is also great. It has such energy, and all of the soloists play with such feeling and power. I would also like to buy this one!

Yes, the band on #10 has a number of interesting points of comparison to Ellington's.

Yes, I agree with everything you've said about 12 & 14, Bill :)

MG