jazz artists, and the tunes they wrote but *never* recorded (but that others did record)

Rooster_Ties

Two good examples I can think of are "Nardis" (Miles Davis), and "The Rumproller" (Andrew Hill).  Best known in recordings by Bill Evans (dozens!), and the later for Lee Morgan.

But this extensive article about "Nardis" (that someone posted recently to /r/jazz on Reddit), claims one other tune that Miles wrote but never recorded...

https://believermag.com/broken-time/

Specifically, and supposedly:  "Miles never recorded the tune ["Nardis"] himself—the fate suffered by another of his originals, “Mimosa,” recorded once by Herbie Hancock [on Inventions and Dimensions for BN in 1963] and never heard from again."

Thing is, I can't seem to find any(?) other references on-line to Miles having written "Mimosa" (for Herbie).  Is there anything to this??

But then rather than start a topic just about that one tune in question, I thought I'd broaden it a bit -- to any more of these sorts of instances, particularly musicians of any sort of real renown (who recorded a lot), but who 'gave' tunes to others.

Here's a list of Harold Ousley tunes that others have recorded. He made hardly any albums as a leader, so MOST of what he wrote was recorded by others.

1. And that I am so in love – Horace Parlan, Bennie Green

2. Haitian lady – Montego Joe, Jack Mcduff, Grassella Oliphant, Willie Bobo

3. Return of the Prodigal Son – Freddie Hubbard, Stanley Turrentine, George Benson, Ray Bryant, lots more

4. Win lose or draw – Willis Jackson, Lou Donaldson

5. The latter days – Grassella Oliphant

6. One for the masses – Grassella Oliphant

7. The descendant – Grassella Oliphant

8. Uptown hours – Grassella Oliphant

9. Mrs O – Grassella Oliphant

10. Son of man – Houston Person

11. Pretty please – Houston Person

12. Hope I can love again – Houston Person

13. Sassie lassie – Lou Donaldson

14. The kid - Lou Donaldson

15. Dapper Dan - Lou Donaldson

16. The people’s choice – Gene Ammons/Sonny Stitt, Ellery Eskelin

17. Pleasant moments – Jack McDuff

18. The regulars – Red Holloway

19. Minor truth – George Benson

20. Thunder walk – George Benson

21. Elation – Willie Bobo, Bobby Shew

22. Minor revelation –Bennie Green

23. Summer melody – Bernard Purdie

24. That’s when we thought of love - Jack McDuff

25 So never leave my love - Clarence Wheeler

MG

Benny Golson's 'Prelude', not recorded by him, was recorded by Jack McDuff, but Golson arranged and directed  it. Does that count?

MG

If so, ditto for 'From the bottom up', also recorded by McDuff.

OK, here's another.

The name Henry Glover is not one to conjure with as a jazz musician, but he played in bands led by Don Redman, Lucky Millinder and Buddy Johnson in the forties, Sonny Thompson & others in the fifties, and was on a Sonny Stitt session in the sixties. He's MUCH better known as a producer for King Records.

And he wrote 'Drown in my own tears', but never recorded it, though he probably produced recordings of it. OK, it started off as a blues, but there are numerous jazz recordings of it.

MG

Thinking back to high school stage band days, we did this Benny Golson tune that I think he wrote just for stage band sales. And really, as small town high-schooly as we were, I think we played it better than these guys (whoever they are).

If you really want to dig into history (and I don't), I think you might find some more of these type things, charts written for the market but never really performed outside of that market. Don Sebesky had a deal with Alfred Music and had all kinds of titles, but maybe all of them had been recorded, no matter how obscurely, like Meet A Cheeta, finding this was a toall "wh knew" for be, becuase we found it corny even back then, neer figured it was a "real" chart, but there it was..

Oh yeah, we played on by John LaPorta called "Diggin' ", can't find a trace of it on the internets, at least not quickly. Published through Berklee, iirc.

On ‎11‎.‎08‎.‎2018 at 4:19 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Did Monk ever record his set break theme?

You are thinking about 52´nd Street Theme ? Yes really, I always wondered if it was composed by Monk. It often happens that it´s hard to check out who originally composed those bop tunes. It´s possible that 52`nd Street Theme originally was at a slower pace. Usually it´s played very fast, like "Salt Peanuts" or "Dizzy Atmosphere".....at a speed that wouldn´t have fitted to Monk.....

I´ve forgotten about Monk´s Epistrophy, since I think it was recorded, first with Milt Jackson in 1948 and later on serveral live recordings . That´s why I thought about 52´nd Street Theme since it was a set break tune used by many other musicians (we used it too for some time) but at least as I know , no recording evidence with Monk.

• 1 month later...

I've never been able to find a recording of Rene's Theme played by its composer, Rene Thomas. 

Larry Coryell and John MacLaughlin played an acoustic guitar duo version of it on Coyell's 'Spaces', but I've got all of Thomas' recordings as a leader, and most of his sideman things with Getz, Jaspar , Rollins, and Chet Baker, but RT never turned up.

• 2 months later...