Which jazz book are you reading right now?

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished this one, as i mentioned in the thread on Perry's death, and it's a great read. PR was on the scene in the 50s at The Lennox School of jazz, and has some cool stories about Giuffre, Bill Evans and, Ornette (his quotes of Ornette's description of his method of composition are hilarious).

Just the story about jumping up and down on Tony Scott's stomach as TS played, should give you an idea of the type of stories PR tells about his life.

1393561.jpg

Pulled out this one again and am reading it piecemeal once more.

Some of it is rather dated (even by nostalgia standards), some (a lot in fact) is a priceless image of that era.

34869083pk.jpg

BTW, @jazztrain: Thanks for bringing up that Bluegrass book. That looks rather interesting for a friend of mine (a keen old-style country music collector and musician).

5 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Pulled out this one again and am reading it piecemeal once more.

Some of it is rather dated (even by nostalgia standards), some (a lot in fact) is a priceless image of that era.

34869083pk.jpg

BTW, @jazztrain: Thanks for bringing up that Bluegrass book. That looks rather interesting for a friend of mine (a keen old-style country music collector and musician).

When I was a teenager getting into jazz, my mother got me that book for Christmas. It's a hoot. My favorite aspect is that before publication, Simon sent his band reviews to those bandleaders who were still living, and printed their responses beside the original reviews. Those comments range from, "Yeah, you were right" to indignant rebuttals.

• 10 months later...
2 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Enjoying this one: 

condon.jpg

My (UK) printing is from 1962 but it must be the same book, considering the co-author credits. I pull it out every few years for some distracting reading moments. A great read indeed. Actually it may not be a bad choice for the season's days at this time of the year. Thanks for the reminder ... ;)

BTW, this one (below) would be a good (pictorial and textual) companion for your read:

37472562pj.jpg

Just now, Big Beat Steve said:

My (UK) printing is from 1962 but it must be the same book, considering the co-author credits. I pull it out every few years for some distracting reading moments. A great read indeed. Actually it may not be a bad choice for the season's days at this time of the year. Thanks for the reminder ... ;)

BTW, this one (below) would be a good (pictorial and textual) companion for your read:

37472562pj.jpg

Ah, Steve, great minds.... I have that one beside my bed right now and am indeed reading through it as I read "We Called it Music"! Also listening to the very fine Davies-mastered 4-cd Condon set on JSP!

gregmo

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

Oh yeah. There are a lot of great snappy lines like that. Condon was a witty guy. And he really loved Pee Wee.

BTW, re- the sixth PHOTOGRAPH page of the "Park Lane and Ryan's" chapter, do you agre that the trumpeter in the two band photographs is Max Kaminsky and not Bobby Hackett?

On 12/20/2019 at 1:35 PM, Big Beat Steve said:

BTW, re- the sixth PHOTOGRAPH page of the "Park Lane and Ryan's" chapter, do you agre that the trumpeter in the two band photographs is Max Kaminsky and not Bobby Hackett?

I took a long look, and I think you're right, Steve. It looks more like Max than Bobby.

On 10/3/2018 at 0:40 PM, BeBop said:

I've got the original circa 1960 version (back in the United States).  Has this been re-issued?  It would be nice if it was.

On 10/3/2018 at 11:18 AM, Larry Kart said:

The late Michael James' "Ten Modern Jazzmen" is a must read. Not that I agree with everything James says, nor am I in sync with the sometimes presumptuous manner in which says what he says, but it's a book that probably will stimulate your thinking as few books on jazz do -- it certainly has mine.

I read this long long ago when it was first available. Michael James who wrote for the "late" British periodical Jazz Monthly, was one of my very favorite writers on jazz. That was probably because my taste in jazz was very much in sync with his taste.

It is probably the same reason why Ira Gitler and Mark Gardner have been among my very favorite jazz writers.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Michael James was also a stellar contributor to one of my favourite books - ‘Modern Jazz - The Essential Records’ (1975) as well as to Jazz Journal.

Terrific book --- many stellar contributors: Max Harrison, Jack Cooke, Ronald Atkins. My copy disintegrated, fortunately I found another one.

I hear you, Larry - the original silver covered paperback had a propensity to fall apart. Mine somehow survived - miraculously I also acquired a second hardback copy that some kind soul had thoughtfully bound.

The book was updated many years later but I’ve always preferred the original. At time of reading it was quite frustrating as the US and UK issues referenced were long since deleted and unobtainable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, mjazzg said:

Just starting Simon Spillet's 'The Long Shadow of the Little Giant'. Accompanying my deep delve into the Fontana box set

I'm also deep into the Fontana set and decided to look for that book. I have ordered it now. And I also have We called it music, which I will read soon.