mikeweil

Which jazz book are you reading right now?

111 posts in this topic

An early Christmas gift from my wife:

51QVC1NHN7L._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Latin Jazz: The First Fusion, 1900 - Today by John Storm Roberts (Schirmer)

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Michael James was also a stellar contributor to one of my favourite books - ‘Modern Jazz - The Essential Records’ (1975) as well as to Jazz Journal.

Terrific book --- many stellar contributors: Max Harrison, Jack Cooke, Ronald Atkins. My copy disintegrated, fortunately I found another one.

17 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Terrific book --- many stellar contributors: Max Harrison, Jack Cooke, Ronald Atkins. My copy disintegrated, fortunately I found another one.

I taped mine together. :)

I hear you, Larry - the original silver covered paperback had a propensity to fall apart. Mine somehow survived - miraculously I also acquired a second hardback copy that some kind soul had thoughtfully bound.

The book was updated many years later but I’ve always preferred the original. At time of reading it was quite frustrating as the US and UK issues referenced were long since deleted and unobtainable.

On 19/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, mjazzg said:

Just starting Simon Spillet's 'The Long Shadow of the Little Giant'. Accompanying my deep delve into the Fontana box set

I'm also deep into the Fontana set and decided to look for that book. I have ordered it now. And I also have We called it music, which I will read soon.

Ronnie Scott's Some of My Best Friends are Blues

50 minutes ago, BeBop said:

Ronnie Scott's Some of My Best Friends are Blues

I recall Ronnie's brilliant opening: "I was born in a room over a Jewish pub in the East End of London. It was called The Kosher Horses. We were very poor. My father was always unemployed. He was a shepherd. We were so poor they had to buy my clothing at the Army and Navy Stores. There I was during the Second World War going to school in a Japanese admiral's uniform." (Quoting from memory) :lol:

But for the real Ronnie story I recommend John Fordham's Jazz Man: The Amazing Story of Ronnie Scott and His Club.

5 hours ago, BillF said:

I recall Ronnie's brilliant opening: "I was born in a room over a Jewish pub in the East End of London. It was called The Kosher Horses. We were very poor. My father was always unemployed. He was a shepherd. We were so poor they had to buy my clothing at the Army and Navy Stores. There I was during the Second World War going to school in a Japanese admiral's uniform." (Quoting from memory) :lol:

But for the real Ronnie story I recommend John Fordham's Jazz Man: The Amazing Story of Ronnie Scott and His Club.

Ah, but who wants the real story.  ;-)

(From memory, not exact quotes)  "We weren't Jewish, but we were Jew-ish..."

"The landlady used to do the cooking and pygmies came all the way from Africa to dip their arrows in the soup." 

"We used to mix LSD and chopped liver and take trips to Israel."

It's pretty much like that throughout, if you haven't read.  Maybe that'll save you a few quid.

The Japanese military uniform reminds me of Red Rodney in his (non-Japanese) military uniform and related shtick.  (OT)

Edited by BeBop

I remember once I read a book written by Ronnie Scott, but I don´t remember the title and think it´s OOP. It has a Cartoon like Picture of Ronnie on the book cover. 

I remember mostly his stories About visiting stars, how he had difficulties to find a proper piano for Bill Evans, how Stan Tracey had to suffer from the behaviour of mean Artists like Lucky Thompson, something About Coleman Hawkins in his very last and very self destructive year, and so on...…..