Reissue labels - legit or not

mjazzg

37 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Speakers Corner Records is a german company and not US!!!

Yes, but, 4 Men With Beards is an American company:

https://www.discogs.com/label/36605-4-Men-With-Beards

FWIW, Speakers Corner claim to master their releases from original tapes by arrangement with copyright holders Universal, Sony or Warner.

https://pure-analogue.com/magnetic-tape/

They also have several reissues of material that is clearly not in the public domain. 

Edited by Daniel A

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Speakers Corner Records is a german company and not US!!!

Speakers Corner HiFi GmbH
Eichkoppel 15A
24214 Gettorf
Germany

Dont see a license entry for their records on the Items. They dont have a label/logo on their r4eissue discs.
IMO this is a pure reissue company for public domain material as is Doxy (= sublabel of a russian organisation).
They  all make immense money and do not draw from original  master tapes thats for sure.

More Info here

From the "Ray Charles Presents David Newman" discogs entry for the Speakers Corner LP:

R-13835195-1562189273-4348.jpeg.jpg

On 16.12.2019 at 0:32 AM, bresna said:

From the "Ray Charles Presents David Newman" discogs entry for the Speakers Corner LP:

R-13835195-1562189273-4348.jpeg.jpg

Thank you for this. It looks they have original source & licence indeed for some material. This imprint is IMO not found on all issues.. For example not on my 4 LP JATP box. But your scan clears the matter a bit more.

BTW have just received some CD's from  the spanish Jazz Messenger Service on the label "Phono".

No information at all on these "Phono" editions. Seems very questionable re thew source.

Edited by jazzcorner

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.12.2019 at 6:41 PM, sidewinder said:

I’ve always been of the impression that the CDs on Phono are EU grey-market.

Correct this is also my Impression. Andorra in Spain has a very short copyright protection for material (less than 50 years I've read somewhere) so most material they do issue is public domain in their county. I assume they are located there.

BTW have just got a vinyl from the "DeAgostini UK Ltd" which is officially licensed. Excellent vinyl quality.

Edited by jazzcorner
typo

57 minutes ago, J.A.W. said:

Andorra is situated between France and Spain, but it is not part of Spain (and not a member state of the EU).

Andorra

Thanks for the link & Info. I did assume however only  the new "Phono" label could be from there but I am not certain about it because there is no printed Information on the CD . I have ordered my copies from  the spanish mailorder service "Jazz Memssengers" (= distributor acc. my Invboice).

You can look up the label at Discogs  ---> Phono (4)

Edited by jazzcorner
text added