US Expats who worked a lot specifically in *Japan*? (Or who toured with Japanese players?)

Rooster_Ties

Don't even know if there were any (or many), but I've been digging into some Japanese Jazz lately, and was just currious if there were any notable American musicians who worked a lot (with Japanese musicians), or who lived and worked in Japan for several years or more.

I wish I had a name to offer, but I haven't run across any US names recently -- and my mind is drawing a blank if I ever ran across any in my earlier dives into Japanese jazz.

And any recordings of note? - mixing primarily Japanese musicians with one or more US Expats?

Thanks!

Gary  Peacock lived in Japan for a while and recorded both as sideman and leader... some great stuff... Joe Henderson has several nice albums with Japanese bands, Helen Merrill,  too... there's Gil Evans with Kikuchi, Jack Dr Johnette has a fine album with Maupin Peacock and a Japanese pianist... I would just look at the discographies of Kikuchi, Togashi, Hino, Sato... to find collaborations...

Ah yes, Gary Peacock -- I know I've seen his name on a few otherwise (nearly?) all-Japanese dates.

I have all of Joe Henderson's work with Japanese musicians (including with Terumasa Hino), and that Gil-Evans/Kikuchi date (which is phenomenal).

Was mostly just wondering if any US players had actually sort of set up shop in Japan for a while (like Gary Peacock had, apparently) -- particularly if there were any less well-known US players who I might only barely know of.

Mal Waldron .... started touring Japan extensively from the early 70`s onwards, his second wife was japanese and they lived (also) in Japan .... his discography shows a number of releases either with japanes musicians or released on Japanese labels .... some of the best  :

Waldron.png

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I would have to say the Eddie Higgins achieved greater worldwide recognition from his regular recording and touring in Japan. They really loved him there.

Yes - he made all those albums for Venus with the usual moderately rude sleeves. Never heard those.

I'm buying more pianists lately (maybe I have all the interesting organ things). Am I missing something rather nice never having heard Higgins?

MG

23 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Yes - he made all those albums for Venus with the usual moderately rude sleeves. Never heard those.

I'm buying more pianists lately (maybe I have all the interesting organ things). Am I missing something rather nice never having heard Higgins?

MG

If you like Scott Hamilton on tenor I'd recommend the releases he appeared on though the specific names escape me.  I'll send you a PM.

Steve Lacy made twelve Japanese tours between 1975 and 2000, and fifteen or so albums were recorded on these trips, including some of Lacy's rarest. Several of these were solo albums, but many are with percussionist Masahiko Togashi - duos and ensembles of various sizes. Lacy and Togashi had a special rapport, and the resulting recordings are consistently excellent. Some appear under Lacy's name and some under Togashi's. Look for:

Stalks (if you can find it) - under Lacy's name, with Togashi and bassist Motoharu Yoshizawa
Eternal Duo and Twilight - Lacy/Togashi duos. Twilight was actually recorded in Paris
Spiritual Moments and Voices - under Togashi's name; trios with Kent Carter on the first title and Jean-Jacques Avenel on the second
Bura Bura - a fabulous quartet led by Togashi, with Lacy, Don Cherry, and Dave Holland
Apices - a trio with Lacy, Togashi, and pianist Masahiko Satoh

There are other albums from Lacy's Japanese tours, but these are my favorites.

Edited by jeffcrom

22 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

Steve Lacy made twelve Japanese tours between 1975 and 2000, and fifteen or so albums were recorded on these trips, including some of Lacy's rarest. Several of these were solo albums, but many are with percussionist Masahiko Togashi - duos and ensembles of various sizes. Lacy and Togashi had a special rapport, and the resulting recordings are consistently excellent. Some appear under Lacy's name and some under Togashi's. Look for:

Stalks (if you can find it) - under Lacy's name, with Togashi and bassist Motoharu Yoshizawa
Eternal Duo and Twilight - Lacy/Togashi duos. Twilight was actually recorded in Paris
Spiritual Moments and Voices - under Togashi's name; trios with Kent Carter on the first title and Jean-Jacques Avenel on the second
Bura Bura - a fabulous quartet led by Togashi, with Lacy, Don Cherry, and Dave Holland
Apices - a trio with Lacy, Togashi, and pianist Masahiko Satoh

There are other albums from Lacy's Japanese tours, but these are my favorites.

That's a list of wants that I've had for a while. Unfortunately it appears many Lacy/Togashi discs are on the pricey side. The post has prompted me to finally buy 'Spiritual Moments'  so thanks for posting

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

oh, expats. never mind,  sorry.

Yup, THAT'S the limiting factor here.  Or at least players who were hemi-semi-demi-expats of some sort, at least kinda-sorta, for real (and specifically in Japan).

Can't be a huge list, I know.  I wasn't expecting more than a dozen names total, in the entire history of the genre -- and maybe well fewer than that.

Helen Merrill was in Japan from 1966-72

David Mathews (Manhattan Jazz Quintet/ Orch) has been here for some years, still gigging

Tom Pierson (piano) - long term resident

Jonathan Katz (piano) - long term resident

Mike Price (trumpet - ex Kenton/ Buddy Rich Toshiko-Lew Tabakin big band) - long term resident

Tommy Campbell (drums - ex Dizzy, Sonny Rollins, Mingus Big Band etc,) was here for a few years before leaving about 2010

• 4 months later...

Here's Charlie Mariano, with an all Japanese group in 1964.  I only know just this one track, discovered less than 10 minutes ago (the only one I've been able to find online), but MAN, this kicks ass!!  And it's just out on CD too!! - I think for the very first time on CD.  I may just have to get this one! - at some point, anyway...

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/900142

And despite the inclusion of piano here, this reminds me a lot of the "sound" and "feel" of those two Albert Manglesdorff piano-less quintet sides for CBS in the early-to-mid 60's.  Not all chord-heavy, and the approach on piano is almost like the way Herbie just plays lines with Miles, circa 1965/66.

QUESTION:  Anybody know if the rest of this album is like this?  This one track is just blowing me away right now.

On 8/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, Dan Gould said:

I would have to say the Eddie Higgins achieved greater worldwide recognition from his regular recording and touring in Japan. They really loved him there.

I thought that those many CDs that he made for Venus we're recorded in the US. Were

there others made in Japan? I know that he and his wife, Meredith d'Ambrosio, split their time between homes I. Wilton Manors, Florida and New England.

2 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I thought that those many CDs that he made for Venus we're recorded in the US. Were

there others made in Japan? I know that he and his wife, Meredith d'Ambrosio, split their time between homes I. Wilton Manors, Florida and New England.

I shouldn't have said recorded in Japan, but they were for the Japanese market and while there may be a chicken/egg question, Eddie told me in our interview that he made regular tours in Japan due to his popularity there.