Least Favorite Classical Music Instrument

paul secor

I was all ready to say harp, then I saw Paul said classical guitar, and I was all "oh HELL yeah, that $#!& is boring!," and then I saw soulpope said flute and I was like "damnit, I hate them all!"

Oh, cymbals are awful, too. Actually, having played trumpet in a symphonic orchestra, I more or less despise all percussion instruments (they're right behind the brass, usually).

So there you have it: harp, classical guitar, flute, and many of the percussion instruments. Unless voice counts, in which case the lion's share of sopranos make the list. Basically I hate all music. What am I even doing here?

Edit: should we have a thread about most-loved instruments to balance things out? PerhapsI can negate mikeweil's vote by listing clarinet there. :)

Edited by lipi

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Perhaps, and/or Theremin, possibly.

What's your take on it?

Complete incomprehension. The only instrument I can think of that doesn't require two hands is Lionel Hampton's piano :)

Or do you mean you like 'em all least - ie they're all your favourites?

MG

What do I mean? Hell, what does the question mean? What is a "classical instrument", and how am I to have an opinion about that, it's like jazz fans who say they don't like vibes or soprano or whatever, and I just don't get  that, I mean, seriously, if somebody is telling you where to find a million bucks cash, are you not going to listen because you don't like the sound of their voice? Never mind a million, fifty, even, I'm gonna listen.

So hell, what's you least favorite classical music stand, what's your least favorite classical gravy, what's you least favorite classical radio station, you know the one that plays the same records as everybody else, they just got bad turntables or something, or maybe they play only the bad records and ALL the instruments become your least favorite?

I get that people have some timbres that are more appealing to them than others, but again...the content of the music matters too, and if somebody's not hearing the content because they shut down at the timbre, how is that listening to music instead of just aurally feeling up a tonal blur?

But you know, they got these instrument that take 7 or 8 hands and there's only 1 or two people to play them, the dissatisfaction's built-in, so, that.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

What do I mean? Hell, what does the question mean? What is a "classical instrument", and how am I to have an opinion about that, it's like jazz fans who say they don't like vibes or soprano or whatever, and I just don't get  that, I mean, seriously, if somebody is telling you where to find a million bucks cash, are you not going to listen because you don't like the sound of their voice? Never mind a million, fifty, even, I'm gonna listen.

So hell, what's you least favorite classical music stand, what's your least favorite classical gravy, what's you least favorite classical radio station, you know the one that plays the same records as everybody else, they just got bad turntables or something, or maybe they play only the bad records and ALL the instruments become your least favorite?

I get that people have some timbres that are more appealing to them than others, but again...the content of the music matters too, and if somebody's not hearing the content because they shut down at the timbre, how is that listening to music instead of just aurally feeling up a tonal blur?

But you know, they got these instrument that take 7 or 8 hands and there's only 1 or two people to play them, the dissatisfaction's built-in, so, that.

Right - so none of them.

Well, I really don't think I want or need to know about the instruments that take 7 or 8 hands, but thanks anyway :g

MG

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Clarinet - in jazz, too.

Me too, but I'm pretty fond of bass clarinet, and even the exceedingly neglected alto clarinet -- in any context.

All the clarinets have a better sound below the register-break (i.e. the 'bottom half' of the instrument, I guess you could say) -- it's the sound/timbre of everything above that register break (and the especially about an octave above that break and higher still), that's just like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

8 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Me too, but I'm pretty fond of bass clarinet, and even the exceedingly neglected alto clarinet -- in any context.

All the clarinets have a better sound below the register-break (i.e. the 'bottom half' of the instrument, I guess you could say) -- it's the sound/timbre of everything above that register break (and the especially about an octave above that break and higher still), that's just like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

The register you like, the bottom one, is called chalumeau.

The one above, that you perhaps tolerate at times, is the clarion.

Above that, the one you hate, is altissimo.

I like bass clarinet. I cannot think of any classical clarinet piece that like, but I enjoy baroque music by Telemann or Graupner written for the chalumeau - we have an excellent player of that instrument here in the area. 

I indeed hate the altissimo register, that's why I enjoy jazz players who rarely use it, like Jimmy Giuffre, or with a very  individual note, Pee Wee Russell, or Edmond Hall.

Re the thread title: A classical music instrument is an instrument used in classical music, period. Not exclusively, of course.

Edited by mikeweil

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

I like bass clarinet. I cannot think of any classical clarinet piece that like, but I enjoy baroque music by Telemann or Graupner written for the chalumeau - we have an excellent player of that instrument here in the area. 

I indeed hate the altissimo register, that's why I enjoy jazz players who rarely use it, like Jimmy Giuffre, or with a very  individual note, Pee Wee Russell, or Edmond Hall.

Re the thread title: A classical music instrument is an instrument used in classical music, period. Not exclusively, of course.

If a moderator wants to reword the thread title, I'm cool with that.

20 hours ago, lipi said:

I was all ready to say harp, then I saw Paul said classical guitar, and I was all "oh HELL yeah, that $#!& is boring!," and then I saw soulpope said flute and I was like "damnit, I hate them all!"

Oh, cymbals are awful, too. Actually, having played trumpet in a symphonic orchestra, I more or less despise all percussion instruments (they're right behind the brass, usually).

So there you have it: harp, classical guitar, flute, and many of the percussion instruments. Unless voice counts, in which case the lion's share of sopranos make the list. Basically I hate all music. What am I even doing here?

Edit: should we have a thread about most-loved instruments to balance things out? PerhapsI can negate mikeweil's vote by listing clarinet there. :)

:D .... my understanding was to name instruments either in "Solo" or "Concert for .... and Orchestra" settings ....