Best CTI records

Milestones

On 8/10/2018 at 2:30 PM, Mark Stryker said:

Milt Jackson's "Sunflower" is fantastic. Really creates and sustains a mood. One of the best records of MIlt's career. Different from his other great records but on the list for sure.

The first two Joe Farrell records are great -- "The Joe Farrell Quartet" and "Outback." For some reason, I don't know "Moon Germs" as well and have always thought it wasn't quite as good as the first two. But I could be wrong about that. I'll give it another listen soon. 

Ron Carter's "All Blues."

Jobim, "Stone Flower"

"Sunflower" ****RETRACTION****

A week or two ago I weighed in with mixed to negative remarks about this album. Today I discovered that my hearing aids were somewhat out of whack back then and for a while since -- not "paired," if that has any meaning to you. Having detected and corrected the problem, I can now hear "Sunflower" in all its glory and take back what I said before.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years, my rule of thumb with CTI was this:

• If it pre-dates 1975 and it has either Don Sebesky or Deodato involvement, it is worth picking up.
  • If it is from 1975 or later and/or has Bob James involvement, all bets are off. 

Of course, this is when I was finding CTI albums for a buck or two.  At today's prices, I might be more selective.

The other thing is that nearly all of those pre-1975 CTI albums contain at least one or two standout tracks, even if the whole album does not necessarily hold together all that well.

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

For years, my rule of thumb with CTI was this:

• If it pre-dates 1975 and it has either Don Sebesky or Deodato involvement, it is worth picking up.
  • If it is from 1975 or later and/or has Bob James involvement, all bets are off. 

+1