Sammy Davis & The Count - Our Shining Hour

Teasing the Korean

Falls just a little short for me, but maybe b/c Sammy, who I continue to appreciate more as time passes, but mostly in the aggregate.

You can do a contrast/compare with this one and the one he did with Buddy Rich.

God knows, Sammy was old-school in ways that are on the verge of being totally forgotten, and I now have nothing but disdain for the easy criticisms that came out of everybody’s mouths, mine included,  that motherfucker WORKED in a no-shortcut physical/mental multi-disciplinarian paradigm that not even athletes have to go through today except outside of their institutional support systems, if even then, this dude knew all the ropes, all the angles, learned them from as a baby and worked them all his life. Whatever the results along the.way, hey, process was always going back to that old-school work angle, RIP. So it’s kind of a cruel irony that Sinatra made a better record with Basie than did Sammy ( it might as well be swing, the other two are overrated imo).

otoh, has anybody made a suck version of “My Shining Hour”? That’s one of those songs that seems to be intrinsically....interesting ( forgive me, but it’s built with good science, it’s movments are all developed past the real of the reflexive even though they result in pleasurable inevitability, which is NOT the same as predictability...rambling now, story). Would that the all were.