New Woody Herman Mosaic

Not on the upcoming soon page but on the recent releases page the complete Woody Herman Decca, Mars, MGM 1943-1954 sessions. 7 CD's 2000 copies.

This fills the gaps between the Columbia and Capitol sets. Classics got to early 1941. Whith the 6 Classics and 2 earlier Mosaic sets there remains the 1941-1942 period not covered on CD.  

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=267-MD-CD

Edited by miles65
added link, correction

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the first crack in the Billy Eckstine/Mosaic barrier! Too bad about the some of the Pete Rugolo, but oh well, it happened, just have to deal with it. "As Long As I Live, listen to that live studio sound, there's something to hear! And Rugolo shows that he can write a chart that doesn't negate that.

So now Mosaic has done Woody Herman complete up to the end of the Phillips/?Columbia period, only not quite, correct? Wasn't there a one-off for Atlantic, a llive thing? Yeah Monterryrey. What other gaps would there be before, oh yeah, Everest. What else?

Never paid attention to that Atlantic thing, but this doesn't suck. But Bill Chase on trombone? Really?!?!?!?!

Well, I'm in. I've always loved Woody. Verve did issue a number of the MGM things in its 2-cd "Woody Herman at Carnegie Hall" set, but it will be nice to have all the Deccas and the Mars stuff. Back in my younger days, I loved "The Turning Point" on Decca's old Jazz Heritage series (still have it), but the sound was so awful, I couldn't listen to it anymore. Almost *any* version will sound better!

gregmo

Great news!

So this closes gaps around and between the Columbia and Capitol sets, right? Begins with the new one (Decca), then on with the Columbia box, squeeze in the Carnegie Hall concert from the new one, and then on with the beginning of the Capitol set, then the MGM/Verve material from the new one, then the rest of the Capitol set.

Do the three boxes cover the full ground for that period, or are there any (minor or substantial?) gaps left?

3 hours ago, king ubu said:

Great news!

So this closes gaps around and between the Columbia and Capitol sets, right? Begins with the new one (Decca), then on with the Columbia box, squeeze in the Carnegie Hall concert from the new one, and then on with the beginning of the Capitol set, then the MGM/Verve material from the new one, then the rest of the Capitol set.

Do the three boxes cover the full ground for that period, or are there any (minor or substantial?) gaps left?

Not sure about that, but add in the Select and there's probably just a very few gaps in there for, like, 25-ish or so years.

Can't say this set will be an immediate priority for me, but it looks like there's gonna be Bill Perkins aplenty, so I hope to not miss it entirely.

Yeah, I love how Mosaic has over the years subsantially documented Herman's career! Between the Capitol (I think it runs up to 1956?) and the (terrific!) Select (1962-64, I think?) there's a larger gap, which contains at least one essential album (Atlantic 1960, reissued on Koch ages ago, and I guess in the meantime again in Japan a few times?):

MI0000213893.jpg

And there's this one, too (Verve 1957), which I quite enjoy every now and then:

MI0000213876.jpg

There's also a few things for Everest, you get Tito Puente, Charlie Byrd, Nat Adderley, I don't know who else. None are really essential, none really suck either.

Oh yeah, Everest also has the remake of Ebony Concerto, which some people prefer over the original.

I don't think Mosaic has ever ventured anywhere near Everest territory though.

But still and all - Bill Barron. Needs to happen.

Bill Barron would be amazing, of course ...

Evereest has had very spotty coverage (if any at all) in the CD era, it seems. The one with Tito plus one more, which is kind of a reunion, were reissued by Evidence I saw.

--

And sorry for having missed your previous reference to the Monterey album (which is really good - I remember buying it from True Blue, ages ago ... may have been my very first exposure to Herman).

3 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I placed an order for the new box.  Haven’t heard much Herman, but I heard a piece on a Fantasy sampler that I liked.  And with a run of only 2,000, this may go quickly - seems tailor-made for EBay resellers.

Well, generally I'd rather assume that selling 2000 (and not 5000) is more ore less what Mosaic usually did in the past 10 years. (Lots of "running low" I got were in the 1500-2000 range of numbers, sometimes in the 2000-2500 - I know they didn't sell them in sequence, but I'd assume they'd produced only 2000 or 2500 respectively, in these cases).

The question would rather be: do we all worry so much and/or is Herman still so popular that this may sell faster than usual?

One thing I'd still really love, as Sony has cared sh*t: more, thoroughly done and complete Ellington sets (i.e Columbia forties to earlly fifities and Columbia 1956-62), closing the gap up to the Reprise set. And I'd also love a late Ellington box, but I guess that one would be difficult legally (Fantasy, Warner, Storyville etc., Duke's own productions sold to whomever ...) - Ellington boxes were, at least in earlier times, sold in greater numbers than most (was the Reprise an edition of 10'000? I guess the Columbia Small and Big Band sets had lower numbers, the later is on the way out, anyone got one recently?)

4 hours ago, king ubu said:

Great news!

Concentrating on the period covered by these 3 boxes (1943-1956):

The V-discs most of them are on HEP 34/35 The V-disc years vol's 1 & 2

A 1946 Woodchoppers session (4 tunes) for a The Pioneer Musical Instrument Company in Chicago. Flip Philips demonstrating the sweetwind. They have never been issued commercialy. I could not find information on the sweetwind.

21 May 1954 4 tunes for Columbia available on a Poll Winners CD 'The 3 herds'

25 Columbia sides from 1947 with Woody as featured singer with the Four Chips or orchestral acc. Not his own band. From December 1946 until October 1947 it seems Woody was between Herds.

1 hour ago, king ubu said:

One thing I'd still really love, as Sony has cared sh*t: more, thoroughly done and complete Ellington sets (i.e Columbia forties to earlly fifities and Columbia 1956-62), closing the gap up to the Reprise set. 

Aren't these covered on the two recent Ellington boxes from Sony Legacy?