New Woody Herman Mosaic

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Well, geez, just don't pre-order it then, right?!  I mean, if this set doesn't come to pass, I'm not going to be sitting around thinking, "Damn, if just a few more of the Big O guys had put in an order, it coulda been a contendah..."  I'll make do with the fifty million other things I have to listen to.  Would it have been preferable if they had announced this first, instead of the standard Mosaic roll-out that was followed only a couple of days later by this qualifying email?  I can understand a sense of grievance about that, perhaps, but not so much that they're looking to gauge bottom-line interest in new sets before moving forward with them.  I'm surprised they didn't start doing this sooner, actually.  But maybe I'm an easy mark; I paid a year in advance for the Smithsonian's forthcoming hiphop anthology when they put it up on Kickstarter last year (and I gotta believe the Smithsonian has more resources than Mosaic, which, whatever its lingering ties to EMI or any other corporate entity, is pretty much a mom-and-pop biz run by three people these days).  I have no problem with Mosaic doing this if it's necessary to sustain the production of new sets.   

(Just noticed btw that I paid only $100 to get the Smithsonian box, and it's listing for $159 by street date, $139 pre-order... so I actually saved some money as well through contributing to the Kickstarter campaign.  I passed on any of the various bells and whistles they offered for higher pledge levels; just give me the box set, dammit.  But glad that they did it that way if that's what it took to make the set possible.)

Agreed. By the way, as I understand it Mosaic is now partly owned by Universal, who own the non-classical division of EMI.

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, sure they can't. Until they can. They got anybody with half a clue working on that now with somebody on the other end that also has half a clue?

Of course, that's predicated on there being the possibility of ANYBODY involved having half a clue...good luck on that one.

In the meantime, don't announce a less than "essential" release and then send a ransom note. Under no circumstances is that a good idea, especially when nobody cares THAT much if the hostage dies or not. Amateur.

On a completely unrelated matter, still waiting for that Joe Daley set from that guy on the other thread.

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I still at least like having the option of buggy whips (CD's), I'm afraid.  And I'm loath to do downloads.  Is there really ANY chance in hell that I'm gonna still have some download (that still functions) in 20 years?  Or how about 30 years?  Sure, it can be done.  But if even half my music collection (about 3,000-3,500 CD's currently) was downloads -- and not physical media -- who the hell has the time to port that stuff around from hard-drive to hard-drive, upgrading every few years, ad infinitum.

And, yeah, I know there are no guarantees with physical media either.  CD's get scratches, and houses burn down.  But I'll take my chances with physical media -- which as served me pretty darn well for the last 30 years, before I ever switch over to having tons of downloads (some or even many of which might disappear into the ether, in anywhere from 5-10 years).

Or maybe I'll be screwed either way -- when there are no longer any functioning CD-players to be had, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Maybe Mosaic should (also) offer downloads.  Fine by me if they (also) do, as long as they (also) still do CD's -- which, last time I checked, was still what the majority of their (admittedly dying -- aren't we all dying?) core clientele still listen on?

I don’t really understand any of this. Why wouldn’t a download still function in 20 or 30 years? And why would you have to “port” anything around from hard-drive to hard-drive? And what needs to be upgraded every few years? 

and if you really need physical media, get a heavy-duty burner and some industrial strength blanks.

My main thing, though, is to stay ahead of the curve instead of behind the 8-ball.

And even more seriously, if you're that worried about long-range functionality, hey, records are still your best entertainment value. You always gonna be able to Flintstone that motherfucker until life becomes unlivable.

YOU DON'T EVEN NEED ELECTRICITY!!!!

Seriously, take a lesson from your ancestors and lean how pedaling to generate motion works.

55 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Well, sure they can't. Until they can. They got anybody with half a clue working on that now with somebody on the other end that also has half a clue?

Of course, that's predicated on there being the possibility of ANYBODY involved having half a clue...good luck on that one.

In the meantime, don't announce a less than "essential" release and then send a ransom note. Under no circumstances is that a good idea, especially when nobody cares THAT much if the hostage dies or not. Amateur.

On a completely unrelated matter, still waiting for that Joe Daley set from that guy on the other thread.

Never gonna happen IMHO.

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

I don’t really understand any of this. Why wouldn’t a download still function in 20 or 30 years? And why would you have to “port” anything around from hard-drive to hard-drive? And what needs to be upgraded every few years? 

Any particular download or couple hundred downloads might be easy enough to preserve with some redundant backups.

But the idea that over the next 10 years, let's say (or what could have been the last 10 years), that it's going to be a piece of cake to maintain 500+ hours (5,000+ files) of recordings -- over the course of 20 years, seems pretty unlikely to me.

Personally speaking, I've never had a computer last more than about 5 years, and the upgrade path hasn't always been smooth (sometimes yes, sometimes no).  Certainly someone more dedicated than I am to backing everything up on redundant hard drives could surely manage. But over time, sound-file formats have changed, presumably requiring some sort of data conversion. Mp3 files, or FLAC, or whatever that format that iTunes insists on using.  And keeping all the individual tracks associated with other correctly (into albums), and otherwise organized.  Other than a few things I've burned off onto individual CDR's, I can't think of anything I've downloaded that I've ever kept reliable access to for more than about 5 years or so.

But who wants to have a collection of 500 to 1,000 CDR's, none of which have identifiable spines, or album-cover art that one can *remember*, as a way to help (mentally) keep track of what's what.

If half of my 3,500 CD collection had instead been downloads, I'd barely listen to or have any sort of idea what any of the downloaded portion was (in terms of remembering what all it is).

Mabe it's just me, but I've never been able to manage a (sizable) collection in any form other than actual physical media.  Anything more than a few hundred items, and I'd loose track of everything, if it were all virtual.  Again, to say nothing of trying to make sure none of it gets corrupt over 2-3 decades.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I get that, I really do, but how do you keep track of all your files at work?

I've got hundreds, potentially thousands of CDrs lying around that I couldn't beging to keep a handle on. All of them, and many mre are also archived on my hard drive(s). It's actually harder to track the CDRs than it is the hard drive files, I just make sure that I have a consistent naming and filing system, same as I do at work.

At first I actually tried the whole jewel(ish) cases and spine name thing, but you know really, life is short, and most things, let's be honest, we play long enough to get the idea and then file away. The stuff that really imprints, we ALWAYS know how to get to that stuff, no matter what format it's in.

I like having a lot of shit lying around because I'm a hoarder in the services/pretenses of archiving. If all the 0s and 1s get called home one day in the Great Zombie Cloud Apocalypse, I got backup.

Maybe I worry too much. Still, it was true then and its true now:

record-value-kris.jpg

OMG I JUST NOTICED - Chip & Jo are the Kris & Rita of The New Millennium!!!!!!!

I keep my library in iTunes. All cataloged by whatever tab I choose: album title, artist, genre, alphabetical (my personal choice). All tracks are there behind the album cover. 

I use the same interface on my iPad when I want to play anyof them on my main system in the living room. A flick of the finger, a tap on the album cover, and we be jammin’. 

I can access my entire library and choose an album and have it playing in a fraction of the time it would take for me to go back to my room where my CDs are, choose one, bring it out to the living room, load it in the CD player, and press play. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

I have something that is more valuable to me than all the music (which can be replaced) and that's family photos (the children when they were born, growing up etc). From the last 15 years all that is digital except when we have printed an album or made paper copies (which doesn't cover nearly half of it). 

So, how do I go about keeping these files safe? I've set up a local NAS (network attached storage) with two mirrored hard drives, that is in turned synched with a cloud storage service. Mobile pictures/movies are uploaded automatically to the cloud service and then synched back to the NAS. Memory cards from the system camera go the other way. And if somehow the file system would get infected/corrupted I've saved the memory cards. My private recordings and music projects are stored the same way. 

This setup does not demand any maintenance, except maybe every five years when I update/switch the hard drives one at a time. OK, if I stop paying for the cloud and let the hard drives die from old age all will eventually be gone. But if I do that, I apparently don't care or I have other more serious problems in life. 

And as Scott says, keeping a digital collection organized is far more convenient than a physical collection. So having a lot of downloads does not seem at all problematic to me. 

However, the main issue is that there won't be that many downloads around - streaming services will dominate the mass market. 

Edited by Daniel A

13 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Are you saying that you don't know anyone who has lost music due to hard drive failure? Really? If so, you have some lucky friends. I know a few. I lost a hard drive with all my music on it. Luckily, I had it backed up. If that back up drive failed before I backed it up, I would have lost everything.

One time, my oldest daughter accidentally downloaded a virus onto our home PC. I had to scrub the whole thing and reinstall Windows. I thought I had everything backed up. It turns out, I hadn't backed up my photos folder in a while, so I lost all of my youngest daughter's high school graduation photos. That still hurts.

7 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Just get an external hard drive: simple.

All hard drives are vulnerable to failure. Backing up to a single external hard drive is not enough. I have my music backed up onto several hard drives, with at least one of them located in another place other than my house in case my house burns down.

Redundant backups are all that is necessary, Kevin. My external hard-drive backs up my entire computer about every 12 minutes. 

Not to mention all my downloads from iTunes are stored in the cloud automatically. 

Anyone that loses their entire library due to a hard-drive crash these days is simply not doing it right.