New Woody Herman Mosaic

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

Check out your e-mail. Mosaic sent out a Gazette this morning and it included a partial update:

3825e3ccd4ab45359f31ca4fe85d6b41.jpeg

Preorder Shipping Update

Woody Herman is at the warehouse and will begin shipping next week.

Hank Mobley will begin shipping the following week about November 18th.

So we should be snuggling these in a few weeks.

I pre-ordered the Woody set myself, but due to having all the Mobley material already, I didn’t pull the trigger on that one yet.

However, I’m thinking about placing an order for that one too, and asking them to hold onto the Woody set, and see if they can ship both together, rather than sending a second box out in a few weeks. Sounds like they’ve had a few snags along the way... Hope it didn’t set them back on these.

On 11/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, jazzbo said:

Good news! A copy of the Savoy set I ordered for my Dad for Xmas just was "forwarded to the warehouse for shipping." Here's hoping that my Herman ships soon!

On 9/17/2019 at 11:53 AM, ghost of miles said:

Great news! I know the status of this set has been very touch-and-go since Sony initiated its new policy, so this is definitely a good sign that it’s still progressing.

I got an e-mail saying my Herman set had shipped.    BTW Your Dad's in for a treat. 

I sent a query to Mosaic today because I'm pretty sure I pre-ordered and want to see if they have my order. 

Yes, I have the Savory set and my Dad read a review about it and was intrigued so that was a good clue for an Xmas present for him. He's become a Fats Waller fan thanks to my exposing him to him and he'll definitely enjoy that portion of the set.

Love “New Golden Wedding” on disc 5, which also makes me think that I haven’t paid enough attention to Sonny Igoe in my previous listening. Great clarinet work from Woody as well... it’s a Ralph Burns update of a tune Herman had originally recorded back in 1940.

16 hours ago, medjuck said:

I've been pleasantly surprised.   I knew so little about Herman that I didn't know I was going to hear  some Ben Webster, Budd Johnson and Johnny Hodges on these cds. 

Me too—quite a wealth of Webster at the start of this set. Also happy to hear some Johnny Bothwell and Frances Wayne.

In the MGM stretch of the set right now, and it’s definitely more of a mixed bag than the preceding material, but with some standout moments for sure.  Eager to get to the Mars recordings... I have the Early Autumn Discovery disc that collects some of those sides, but will be great to hear them complete and presumably in better sound.

Edited by ghost of miles

On 11/16/2019 at 1:24 AM, jazzbo said:

Excited to hear this set. I discovered I did pre-order this via PayPal when Mosaic was gauging interest in this set last year. So far no shipping notice etc. I emailed Mosaic and have not heard back. Sigh. May have to call next week.  . . .

I also pre-ordered and haven't heard anything. Are these being shipped out at a staggered, slower-than-usual pace?

Finally got a response after reaching out to Scott via Facebook; He looked into it and sent me this reply:

We’re experiencing troubles with our ordering system and I was out most of the day on Friday. We hope to get this out sometime this week.

So hopefully we'll both be getting ours soon.

It took a while, but finally my prepaid preorder was found and my copy will be shipping soon. Looking forward to it! But I have plenty to listen to til it arrives!

My Dad's Xmas copy of the Savory set arrived last week. He's going to have fun with it, his first Mosaic.

Edited by jazzbo

Ok., from what I’m seeing they are still fulfilling pre-orders.

I checked my CC and I haven’t been charged yet. I pre-ordered mine over the phone last Spring, but I can’t find my order number...

I also scanned back a few months and found two orders from February and March, but these would have been fulfilled and don’t match what the Woody set would cost after shipping, so they definitely didn’t bill at the time of me placing a preorder for the Woody box.

They have always been pretty good with this, and since I haven’t been charged I’m not worried about a lost package as none should have been sent out. However, to be on the safe side that I still have a a box reserved I’ll call on Friday. At least it isn’t floating around, lost, some place.