New Woody Herman Mosaic

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/17/2019 at 0:41 PM, Larry Kart said:

Almost at the end of the set. The Herman Mars label band was a very good one -- all those tasty Ralph Burns arrangements, solos from Carl Fontana and Arno Marsh, and Art Mardigan was a cooking drummer. Don't miss Jerry Coker's rather abstract tenor solo on "I Love Paris" -- it's close to being in the Warne (not Arno) Marsh class, not that Arno wasn't a fine player.

I also enjoyed the Mars material a lot, along with the Deccas. The MGM stuff...not so much.

gregmo

On 12/19/2019 at 1:40 PM, gmonahan said:

I also enjoyed the Mars material a lot, along with the Deccas. The MGM stuff...not so much.

gregmo

There’s definitely a bit of a sag in the middle of the set with the MGM material. Sultanof makes a case for some of it, but in general I don’t think it’s at the level of what precedes or follows. Starting through the box a second time this morning... very grateful that Mosaic managed to get this out. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/30/2020 at 10:52 AM, ghost of miles said:

For those who enjoy this set and the First Herd in general, a recommendation for this CD (Sultanof alludes to one of the two broadcasts it includes in his notes):

One Two Three Four Jump

Thanks for this rec. Enjoyed the '46 Carnegie Hall show so much that I'm looking for some good First Herd comps/shows, etc.