Richard Carpenter--what's the deal?

• 1 year later...

from the Sonny Stitt Mosaic booklet's notes on the final Roost album, "Sax Expressions":

... one of the six originals on this album credited to Sarah Boatner, Stitt's sister, but actually written by the saxophonist. One reason for this contrivance might have been that Stitt's composing royalties had in the past been going to publishing companies owned by his former manager, Richard Carpenter. These new songs were assigned to Sandra Music, one of Teddy Reig's companies.

~ Zan Stewart, July 2001 - liner notes to: The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions, p. 22

Now, can anyone explain what these deals with publishing companies meant, how this worked? Who got the money? The publishing company? And then passed on part/all (?) of it to the composer?

from the Sonny Stitt Mosaic booklet's notes on the final Roost album, "Sax Expressions":

... one of the six originals on this album credited to Sarah Boatner, Stitt's sister, but actually written by the saxophonist. One reason for this contrivance might have been that Stitt's composing royalties had in the past been going to publishing companies owned by his former manager, Richard Carpenter. These new songs were assigned to Sandra Music, one of Teddy Reig's companies.

~ Zan Stewart, July 2001 - liner notes to: The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions, p. 22

Now, can anyone explain what these deals with publishing companies meant, how this worked? Who got the money? The publishing company? And then passed on part/all (?) of it to the composer?

Funny you should mention it. There's a long disquisition on the publishing business in the new release Bob Dylan - The Witmark Demos, which I got yesterday. Here's the relevant few sentences:

Music publishing is the music industry's big secret. It's where the money is. For decades, it was an adage in the business that singers come and go, but songs are forever...Here's how it once worked. Song publishers made money four ways: folios (sheet music), record royalties, performance royalties, and synchronization (movie and show royalties)...Record companies paid publishing companies a "mechanical" rate for every record pressed...two cents per song...usually split 50/50 between the songwriter and the music publisher.

Mjzee, you forgot to mention Performance Royalties. If the artist has his own publishing company, they receive 100%:

The songwriter and publisher split mechanical royalties 50/50 for each recording sold, and the recording artist also gets a mechanical royalty for each recording sold (although that deal is set up differently).

In addition to the mechanical royalties, however, our songwriter and publisher are also paid performance royalties, which means they make money based on how often the song is played on the radio, in restaurants or bars, or in other types of broadcasts. These royalties are monitored, collected, and paid out by a performing rights organization like ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC; our artist is paid by the organization with which he registered the song. For subscription digital "performances," the recording artist now gets paid royalties as well.

Edited by marcello

• 3 years later...

Carptenter 'produced,' Mundy arranged Sonny Stitt for Solid State 1968

ss18047.jpg

not as quite as weird as it perhaps could be but not entirely normal either. Band is an octet: Sonny on varitone + piano, drums, electric bass, electric guitar, baritone sax, french horns (two credited but I don't think they play at same time).

Richard Carpenter is credited co-writer on two tunes with "G. Bruce," co-writer with with Sonny + "G. Ginsberg" on a third. W.C. Handy, Andy Razaf, Bacharach-David, Bobby Russell are not cowed.

Edited by MomsMobley

• 5 years later...

I also didn´t understand the photo of that "boy next door" with a girl....... THIS should be Richard Carpenter, I imagined he looked more "gangster like" after all those stories told about him. 

I have a Tadd Dameron bio where it seems that Carpenter had quite an important role for Dameron during the last years of his life, which is strange since Dameron practically didn´t do nothing from the early 60´s on (he didn´t even play on his last "album" "Magic Touch" .

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I also didn´t understand the photo of that "boy next door" with a girl....... THIS should be Richard Carpenter, I imagined he looked more "gangster like" after all those stories told about him. 

I have a Tadd Dameron bio where it seems that Carpenter had quite an important role for Dameron during the last years of his life, which is strange since Dameron practically didn´t do nothing from the early 60´s on (he didn´t even play on his last "album" "Magic Touch" .

The photo is of pop musician Richard Carpenter, who had a successful dup with his sister Karen in the 70s. I suspect they are not as well known in Europe.

It is the Paul Combs book that you have?

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

15 hours ago, bertrand said:

The photo is of pop musician Richard Carpenter, who had a successful dup with his sister Karen in the 70s. I suspect they are not as well known in Europe.

It is the Paul Combs book that you have?

Bertrand.

Well even if they were well known in Europe, I don´t know much about other music than jazz. Yes, the book about Tadd Dameron is Paul Combs book. I also have another larger format book about Tadd Dameron, but it doesn´t have as much informations like Paul Combs´ book.