McCoy Tyner- lets hope hes ok

His show on the books for next month here has been cancelled with no re-schedule due to heath issue.  This was going my only jazz show this year.  Lets hope McCoy is going to feel better soon.  I know hes old but that does not equate, despite this point being argued with me quite a bit, that does not equate to "downward spiral".  He has an opportunity to get medical care and feel better, even as an old person.  

As I posted 5 years ago after seeing him live:

On 4/6/2013 at 9:27 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

McCoy Tyner is one of the greatest Jazz musicians still walking but it's painful to say that it doesn't look like that will be true much longer. He looked more than a little frail last night. Barely walking and barely talking. I felt like I did at Tommy Flanagan's last concerts - I think that I just saw McCoy for the last time.

And as great as the show was, it was incredibly short. They started late and played for about 45 minutes. The crowd gave them a standing O and they came back and played a short encore. I haven't been to a show with a set under an hour at a Jazz club in a long time. Short but oh so sweet. McCoy may be frail on his feet but he can still wail at the piano. It's actually pretty amazing to see him shuffle in and sit down and then see his hands and fingers start flying.

I saw him one more time after that (in 2014) and he looked even worse but still played incredibly. I don't think he's been back to Boston since then.

Don't forget that he is a 79 year old man playing a physically demanding instrument. I hope I can walk when I'm 79, never mind playing a piano.

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

As I posted 5 years ago after seeing him live:

I saw him one more time after that (in 2014) and he looked even worse but still played incredibly. I don't think he's been back to Boston since then.

Don't forget that he is a 79 year old man playing a physically demanding instrument. I hope I can walk when I'm 79, never mind playing a piano.

I'm 77. I can walk & run. I last saw McCoy in person in 2006 (have the t-shirt from the tour). He played well but was starting to look "old".

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

I'm 77. I can walk & run. I last saw McCoy in person in 2006 (have the t-shirt from the tour). He played well but was starting to look "old".

One of my neighbors is 86 and he runs at least 2 miles daily. He amazes me. I am in no condition to run 1 mile, much less 2 miles *daily* and I'm only 56. :)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I had a Billy Harper t-shirt, bought it from Billy himself at a gig. He used to merch like that, pretty entrepreneurial guy, actually. Had to be to survive.

THAT'S a good one!

I have a Rova t-shirt I picked up a year or two ago at an Electric Ascension show. Not to mention a "NESSA" shirt that Chuck sent out with his Lester Bowie "Numbers 1 & 2" reissue a while back.