Name The Band?

JSngry

I can get Frank Strozier, Buddy Collette, Plas Johnson, Clark Terry & Shelley Manne, (of course), Frank Rosolino, and John Boener. The comments reveal Pete Condoli and Dave Grusin (who at first me fooled into thinking he was Johnny Carson) himself.

Who else we got here? I like the sections' blends. How many mikes are we seeing there, eh?

1 hour ago, optatio said:

Do you have compared them with these saxophonists: Bill Perkins, Donald Ashworth, Ernie Watts, John Bambridge, Pete Christlieb, Tom Peterson, Tommy Newsom, Lew Tabackin, Dick Spencer? Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tonight_Show_Band#With_Johnny_Carson

That was after the show had permanenlty moved west. This clip is from 1965, when they were just visiting.

Interesting to me is that this clip was from the "first fifteen", the optional segment that was aired for 15 minutes before the "hard" begnning of the show at the bottom of the hour. I think that tradition started with Steve Allen? No matter, at some point, Johnny decided he wanted no part of it since there were very few stations left who aired it, the time instead going to local news. So that slot went to Ed until finally, it was dropped altogether.

Which leave me wondering...what was typical content of that quarter hour, and how much f it survives? If it was things like this, th band playng and otherwise interacting...I don't recal how "jazz" oriented Skitch Henderson's bands were, but tehn again, who knows what they played in these little preliminary segments taht were getting limited viewership?

6 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Might be Al Porcino playing lead, yes? No?

If this clip was 1965, Porcino would have been 40. The guy in the middle of the section looks older than that. The guy at the end of the section is John Boener, so...

Ed mentions that Terry was from the New York crew, but based on the names I can identify, it was mostly LA folk here.

As to how long they would have been together, probably just for the week the show was out there. No biggie, though, all those guys were top-shelf readers and section players, they did this for a living.