Captain Howdy

A cell phone fucked up my brain

70 posts in this topic

Recently, my little old Samsung mp3 player finally died. For years I took it to bed nightly to listen to podcasts and audiobooks before falling asleep. I have an Android phone but it has no carrier so I never use it. I took it to bed in place of my mp3 player. After a few nights I could understand why suddenly I was sleeping so badly. I couldn't fall asleep, I was feeling jittery, and when I finally did fall asleep I woke frequently. Finally it occurred to me that the only that had changed was the phone beside my head on the mattress. I moved it across the room and immediately fell asleep. Since then I've had no more problems in sleeping.

Skeptics can say this is not scientifically valid proof of anything, but it's enough to convince me that cell phones are bad news.

dawg you can get for $20 on amazon, a little Flac player (china via usa) and it holds 8 gigs.  weighs almost nothing.  

The problem with those Chinese DAPs seems to be the software. The Chinese can make good hardware but their software is crap. At least that's the impression I get from reviews.

Unless the phone is actively transmitting RF, it won’t be a problem. If it is transmitting, definitely a good idea to minimise duration of close direct exposure to the head. Sporadic exposure as with typical calls shouldn’t be an issue.

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Unless the phone is actively transmitting RF, it won’t be a problem. If it is transmitting, definitely a good idea to minimise duration of close direct exposure to the head. Sporadic exposure as with typical calls shouldn’t be an issue.

You're basing this, I assume, on carefully peer-reviewed studies and a long career in electrical engineering and medicine.

4 minutes ago, lipi said:

You're basing this, I assume, on carefully peer-reviewed studies and a long career in electrical engineering and medicine.

???

18 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

???

Exactly.

Look, I get that it's fun to spout opinions about, say, jazz. Hell, I'm running up and down this board screaming that New Orleans jazz is awesome and that everything recorded after 1945 or so is mostly trash. It's all subjective BS. But expressing opinions about scientific and medical issues in such a way that they're easily misinterpreted as fact is at best naive and at worst nefarious. "Sporadic exposure as with typical calls shouldn’t be an issue." Shouldn't? Based on what? (Aside: who the hell makes calls these days?) "definitely a good idea to minimise duration of close direct exposure to the head" Good idea? Again, based on what?

If your story is "hey, cell phones haven't been around that long, so the long-term effects are still a bit of a mystery, it doesn't hurt to be careful," then tell it that way. Don't play yourself off as an expert. Do that in the jazz threads (where I generally really like your contributions) or in other fields you have actual expertise in.

As for titling a thread with some amusing (perhaps even interesting) anecdotal evidence "A cell phone fucked up my brain"... I have no words, Cap'n, simply a teenager-worthy eye roll.

Now get off my lawn. *brandishes rake*

2 hours ago, lipi said:

As for titling a thread with some amusing (perhaps even interesting) anecdotal evidence "A cell phone fucked up my brain"... I have no words, Cap'n, simply a teenager-worthy eye roll.

I like the thread title. But then again, I like this:

115913238.jpg

3 hours ago, lipi said:

Exactly.

Look, I get that it's fun to spout opinions about, say, jazz. Hell, I'm running up and down this board screaming that New Orleans jazz is awesome and that everything recorded after 1945 or so is mostly trash. It's all subjective BS. But expressing opinions about scientific and medical issues in such a way that they're easily misinterpreted as fact is at best naive and at worst nefarious. "Sporadic exposure as with typical calls shouldn’t be an issue." Shouldn't? Based on what? (Aside: who the hell makes calls these days?) "definitely a good idea to minimise duration of close direct exposure to the head" Good idea? Again, based on what?

If your story is "hey, cell phones haven't been around that long, so the long-term effects are still a bit of a mystery, it doesn't hurt to be careful," then tell it that way. Don't play yourself off as an expert. Do that in the jazz threads (where I generally really like your contributions) or in other fields you have actual expertise in.

Now get off my lawn. *brandishes rake*

Who p*ssed on your cornflakes today? :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, lipi said:

Don't blame me, my brain is fucked up.

43 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

You can make light all you want, but I *do* blame you and others like you for lowering the standard of debate in the world. It's a travesty.

http://stopclickbait.com/

3 minutes ago, lipi said:

You can make light all you want, but I *do* blame you and others like you for lowering the standard of debate in the world. It's a travesty.

http://stopclickbait.com/

How did I lower the standard of debate? Is it the thread title you object to? TBH I didn't put that much thought into it, and since I don't profit when you click on it I don't think it can really be called clickbait. And anyway, it's a slow board so you probably would have clicked it regardless of the title.

I object to the title because it claims something that is not substantiated in the content of the post.

Phone prevented my brain from sleeping. Your definition of "fucked up" might be different than mine. :lol:

5 hours ago, lipi said:

I object to the title because it claims something that is not substantiated in the content of the post.

tenor.gif?itemid=10400684

It's a proud tradition being carried on here.

2b9d87e7423b589c683fa70bcdbaa305.jpg

This Forum Fucked up my Wallet :ph34r: :blink:

A good forum will do that.

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10400684

I would, but have you seen what happens when people are allowed to spread idle fears and plain lies with impunity? One ought not get a pass simply because it's a friendly jazz forum. Change starts among friends, because at least we listen to each other.

(There's a greater point to be made here about anti-intellectualism and such, but that'll have to wait for another thread. Maybe one on speaker wires made out of moon rock that enhance those crucial-for-the-warmth 500-600 kHz frequencies.)

2 hours ago, Brad said:

This Forum Fucked up my Wallet :ph34r: :blink:

That I can provide anecdotal data for, collected over the course of many moons.

There is also a strong positive correlation between my credit card bill and Mosaic's releasing pre-1950 sets.

6 minutes ago, lipi said:

I would, but have you seen what happens when people are allowed to spread idle fears and plain lies with impunity?

Is that a T***p reference?

Whether it is or not I seriously encourage you to give us all a fucking break.

55 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Is that a T***p reference?

Whether it is or not I seriously encourage you to give us all a fucking break.

I think it's more likely the poster is talking about something like the anti-vaccine or anti-GMO campaigners who use discredited studies and made up facts to push their agenda.

I don't think Captain Howdy was doing this, but some could read the thread title and think that's they way he was heading with it.

BTW, Cap'n - your phone will have an "Airplane mode". You can completely shut off the radio by putting it into this mode.

49 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I think it's more likely the poster is talking about something like the anti-vaccine or anti-GMO campaigners who use discredited studies and made up facts to push their agenda.

Correct.

As for the other thing, Dan, let's not curse, shall we? :)

13 minutes ago, lipi said:

Correct.

As for the other thing, Dan, let's not curse, shall we? :)

WTF you talking about? I didn't spell out #45s name. :g

There's a grain of truth in most every absurdity!

magazines-Man's+Life,+September+195

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

:D

Chuck McGill.png

Not dismissing your assertion Captain, just reminded me of this....

Edited by rdavenport