Captain Howdy

A cell phone fucked up my brain

70 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Lately, I think this forum has taken a turn for the weirder.

:lol:

9 minutes ago, rdavenport said:

Re the pro-GM thing:

20 years ago, I did a horticulture course, and our tutor thought GM crops were a great idea. I don't remember all the reasons, but disease-resistance seemed to be a big one, maybe a longer senescence process. I wonder what he thinks of them now?

Disease and drought resistance are two of the biggies. I think too many have been scarred by all the scary bedtime stories about the evils of Monsanto. Most of which I find silly. 

5 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Related image

I'm pretty sure this is officially the most warped and befuddling thread since the Joel Fass meltdown of 2017. 

I know chicken and waffles, but rabbit and pancakes are a new one on me. Is that a GMO-gone-into-the-well thing or did that used to be a persons whose cell phone skipped the brain and went straight to the DNA?

Either way, I'm not seeing anything I wouldn't eat with a little butter, syrup, and butchering.

Hungry now for pancakes. 

And bananas and pecans for some reason.

But at least, Hasenpfeffer.

10 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

. I think too many have been scarred by all the scary bedtime stories about the evils of Monsanto. Most of which I find silly. 

Two words - Astroturf.

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I know chicken and waffles, but rabbit and pancakes are a new one on me. Is that a GMO-gone-into-the-well thing or did that used to be a persons whose cell phone skipped the brain and went straight to the DNA?

Either way, I'm not seeing anything I wouldn't eat with a little butter, syrup, and butchering.

Very old meme:

Memes, Rabbit, and 🤖: I have no idea what to say  So here's a picture of a rabbit with a  pancake on his head  jucoolimages.com Haahah😂😂

Origins: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pancake-bunny

I don't think it's right to do that to a bunny or a pancake unless you plan to eat them both. People are going hungry trying to grow GMO Bisquic in their Astroturf, so let's be sensitive afout taunting them with pictures of Gorme food.

8 hours ago, Stefan Wood said:

But I'm not agreeing with his assessment.  I've had Fiio products for 5 years:  the X1, the X3, and now the X5ii.  All have been great with no glitches in software use at all.  Now i understand the touch screen version of the newest models have issues, but that was over a year ago and may have been addressed through firmware upgrade, which they are very good at doing.

If you buy the cheap $10-$20 mp3 player from some Amazon reseller, then yeas, I can see how he could come to that conclusion.

The Fiios were one of the brands I had in mind when I made the original comment. I looked at them a couple years ago and many people were complaining about the software -- not necessarily that it was faulty but that it wasn't well thought-out, hard to use, as opposed to. say, the Walkman. 11% of Amazon reviews of X1 are 1 star. One review is titled "Nice player with flawed UI and firmware." Anothre says "even a $50 smartphone allows me to make playlists, there's no excuse for such a poor UI." Reading the bad reviews now however I see most complain about bricking or other hardware issues.

53 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

The Fiios were one of the brands I had in mind when I made the original comment. I looked at them a couple years ago and many people were complaining about the software -- not necessarily that it was faulty but that it wasn't well thought-out, hard to use, as opposed to. say, the Walkman. 11% of Amazon reviews of X1 are 1 star. One review is titled "Nice player with flawed UI and firmware." Anothre says "even a $50 smartphone allows me to make playlists, there's no excuse for such a poor UI." Reading the bad reviews now however I see most complain about bricking or other hardware issues.

Yes, mostly user error.  I set up my files as i put them in the micro sd card. No issues. 

On 23/08/2018 at 5:04 PM, Jay said:

I live in the Midwest, I certainly understand farming and specifically, corn (and soybean)-related issues.

Oooh, let's take this thread in another direction!

Corn subsidies are a terrible idea. I have no thoughts on soybeans, except that mapo tofu is delicious.

On 8/23/2018 at 10:19 AM, JSngry said:

Or let's wonder aloud (audibly, therefore Audio Talk!!!!) if the real threat of GMOs are not food safety, but the potential for a food supply held hostage by patent-holding corporations?

C6V5LDjXQAAzpc1.jpg

On 8/23/2018 at 11:19 AM, JSngry said:

Or let's wonder aloud (audibly, therefore Audio Talk!!!!) if the real threat of GMOs are not food safety, but the potential for a food supply held hostage by patent-holding corporations?

Except for the fact that many of their patents are expiring or have expired so their ability to hold farmers hostage is lessening by the month.

Monsanto has always been the target of the anti-GMO campaign. If they had stuck to attacking Monsanto's greed and not started making stuff up about the safety of GM wheat, corn & soybeans, etc. I'd still be on the same side.

What patents are you referring to? Patents for seeds? At any rate, patents (unlike other forms of intellectual property) do not last forever. 

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Except for the fact that many of their patents are expiring or have expired so their ability to hold farmers hostage is lessening by the month.

Monsanto has always been the target of the anti-GMO campaign. If they had stuck to attacking Monsanto's greed and not started making stuff up about the safety of GM wheat, corn & soybeans, etc. I'd still be on the same side.

I agree with this 100%. 

Greed is its own villain which doesn’t need any further embellishments. 

4 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

In the current environment (no pun intended), I'll relax about that when "is lessening by the month" becomes "has been eliminated completely".

And now this, hardly the stuff of shrug it off and forget: http://fortune.com/2018/08/15/roundup-in-cheerios-weed-killer/

Now, whose "fault" that is, who knows right now? More information needed. But let's see to it that we get that information, all of it, and then proceed accordingly.

Fuck that. I’m registering my manufactured outrage prior to exploring the facts. It makes like much easier. 

Nah, not really, it makes life harder. Give me all the facts and the truth to go with it. They don't always overlap.

I will say, though, that Monsanto & Nestle are two companies that have long ago lost whatever benefit of any doubt they might think they're entitled to. Exxon's another one. They're gonna have to do more than just tell their side and have me take it at face value. That's their fault.

Either way, I got a bigass unopened box of Honey Nut Cheerios now that my daughter-in-law gave us. I'm not faulting her for not taking any chances.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Nah, not really, it makes life harder. Give me all the facts and the truth to go with it. They don't always overlap.

I will say, though, that Monsanto & Nestle are two companies that have long ago lost whatever benefit of any doubt they might think they're entitled to. Exxon's another one. They're gonna have to do more than just tell their side and have me take it at face value. That's their fault.

Either way, I got a bigass unopened box of Honey Nut Cheerios now that my daughter-in-law gave us. I'm not faulting her for not taking any chances.

Just a heads up - Bayer Pharmaceuticals bought Monsanto in June and announced that they were retiring the name.

Oh, Bayer, now that's a name I can trust!

Bayer had a big agro business before the acquisition.